pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> Knoppmyth R5D1 Problems, any resolution?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Knoppmyth R5D1 Problems, any resolution?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

I am trying to get Knoppmyth R5D1 to work with a HD 3000 card.

Myth actually will scan the channels and shows signal strength in the right places for my area.

Watching live TV claims it can't lock, I get black screen, but a mpg file is created in /myth/tv. I can't see anything in the file using mplayer.

Outside of Myth, dtvscan, atscpackets, whatever all give me grief using /dev/video0 Various errors, like "no sync"

xawtv does not even work.

The firmware appears to be on the HD, but I don't think it is loading. I saw this in another thread, but I never saw a resolution. How do you force it to lock onto a channel and load the firmware? Shouldn't dtvscan do that?

I have tried the dtv atsc utils that come with knoppmyth and I compiled the pdhdtv ones as well. The knoppmyth shows 0%, the new ones something like 2345555%

gatzke@sc.edu
Re: Knoppmyth R5D1 Problems, any resolution?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

ed.gatzke wrote:

This was already mentioned but not resolved in

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1713&sid=e8df9a2c6447b00516db19672fd809b3
Re: Knoppmyth R5D1 Problems, any resolution?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

ed.gatzke wrote:

tvscan and atscscan both appear to find the correct channels in my area.

I cannot get the signal strength indicator to show anything useful.

I have tried the knoppmyth versions and the new onese from pcHDTV, but the signal strenth thing does not appear to work.

The getatsc command seems to generate something to a file, but the result does not play in mplayer (although I downloaded test.ts and mplayer works great on 1080p).

Maybe I am using them wrong? It appears the new utils work with a -dvb 0 option (not /dev/video0). Is there something wrong with R5D1 Knoppmyth that nobody else sees?

Could it be my new nvidia drivers? Probably not, since mplayer works.

Anything would help.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote
waterhead

You need to use the /dvb driver for the HD-3000. In mythtv-setup, select dvb for the card. It may show up as an Orion front end, or something like that.

Make sure that the dvb driver is loaded:

Code:
modeprobe cx88_dvb

Create a channel list at http://labs.zap2it.com , download the list, setup the inputs, and then scan for channels.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Worked! Use dvb not pcHDTV 3000 drivers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

Thanks! That did the trick.

Wonder why they include the pdHDTV driver when you should use dvb?

Thanks again!
Re: Worked! Use dvb not pcHDTV 3000 drivers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

ed.gatzke wrote:
Wonder why they include the pdHDTV driver when you should use dvb?

I think it's to catch the newbies. ;)

Actually, I'm glad to help.

I know that configuring is a part of using Linux, but sometimes you just want to watch TV!

Now watch some TV and enjoy it!

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Jim

I learned this years ago here using DVB, should not the newbies never have this problem again? I haven't been here awhile, but give a basic setup to new guys. Geeze.
(A Dragon owner), yet to make it prime time for wife. M$ will beat us to it. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote
waterhead

Hey, I was only yankin' his chain!

Seriously, I too wish setup of Linux media (in general) was more streamlined. We could get alot of converts if it was.

If the different distros could come together and make a distro that wasn't so cutting edge, this would be great. A single unified front is needed to really compete with the commercial operating systems. I found that SuSE comes the closest for working outta the box. But I've only tried 3 or 4.

Sorry for going off topic.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
knoppmyth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

Knoppmyth is pretty good about getting everything up and running, for the most part.

I did not realize that I should not use the pdHDTV 3000 driver as listed, use DVB instead. Crazy. If you should use DVB, why even include the 3000 v4l drivers?

Knoppmyth is awesome, but it could be tons more friendly. Like testing scripts ("wizards") for easily testing and debugging stuff like sound, video, networking, and capture cards. Maybe even scripts to set up the sources, drivers, etc in myth for a standard setup, since it is not all obvious.

I tried a install about 1.5 years ago when I first got my pcHDTV card, but myth was just too difficult... I still have troubles, but I am making progres...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

It was about 1 1/2 years ago that I tried Knoppmyth. I read that it was very simple to install. It's default install wants to install to the dvd drive! How is that simple? I tried a manual install, but was unsuccessful.

I gave up and went with Fedora Core and Jarod Wilson's instructions for installing and setting up MythTV. There were (and still are) some manual settings that have to be done. But, either Fedora has gotten better since then or I have (or both).

I recently had a SuSE 10.1 install working with MythTV. But, suddenly one day mythfrontend would not startup. Nothing in the logs and nothing in -verbose mode to tell me what is wrong. I even updated to the latest release (I think it's 20.8 ) but no go. Lucky for me I still had my old faithful Fedora Core 5 install still intact.

As for the pcHDTV driver listing in the mythtv-setup. I wanted to say something about it to the developers. But, instead of a forum they use mailing lists. I subscribed to it, and after one day there were about 75 e-mails in my in-box from them! I removed my name after that.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
knoppmyth
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quote
ed.gatzke

The knoppmyth community is doing pretty well, but you have to log in to see their forums (a bit annoying).

They have been quite helpful to me on some other issues.

It would be great if they could get the install process super simplified, so that you basically answer some questions, run through a few tests, then it installs a totally working system... The recent knoppmyth version has been great and easy, but not totally simple. Much better than the old days with modprobes to get the 3000 driver working....
Knoppmyth R5D1 Problems, any resolution?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers