pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Easiest install for HD-5500 ?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Easiest install for HD-5500 ?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:15 pm Reply with quote
hopefulboydy

I recently got a pcHDTV HD-5500 and am hoping to get some feedback as to what version of linux will be the easiest for me to get the card to work with. I have no linux preferences and will be able to so a fresh build of whatever version seems to be the best to get the card working with.

The instructions that came with the card says that a 2.6.18 kernel has the drives built in already. So probably my question should be has anyone installed this on Linux running 2.6.18 and got myth TV running for HD with little or no issues and if so what version did they use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ronacc

I don't know what the "best" is . I have my pchdtv5500 working under openSuSe 10.1 .the card works great and the driver compiles and installs ok but Xine-hd won't compile right with gcc 4.x and I havent downgraded to 3.x yet to try that. the dvb-tools compile fine under gcc 4.x and work good in opensuse10.1 . I can use Mplayer to view the stream, good pic quality but a little choppy sometimes viewing direct, but if you use getatsc and record to a file then paly it with mplayer its ok.
my hardware is amd athalon64 3000+ MSIk8t mb Nvidia fx5200 gfx card and 2 gig mem
I have been trying to get the card working under ubuntu6.10 (edgy eft) but thats a total disaster so far not even the driver will compile (possibly because ubuntu is debian based and the two driver packages provided are redhat based like Suse).
I'll be interested to see what others say I might just wipe the ubuntu install and go with something else.
Pchdtv needs to update xine hd for newer gcc's and mabye provide a debian oriented driver section.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Ubuntu edgy should have the driver built in. I haven't tried yet but I hope to this weekend (fast startup = a good thing for mythtv)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
ronacc

I just wasted 2 days trying to get the drivers to compile in edgy ( they AREN'T built in)(kernal 2.6.17.10 not 2.6.18 ) can't get them to compile in edgy , see my posts asking for help in the ubuntu forums.
it may be because I updated to edgy rather than fresh installed , there were several bkn symlinks left behind that may have been screwing up the compile. I just wiped the hard drive and fresh installed from cd and I'll try again.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
hopefulboydy

ronacc,

sorry to hear about you recent problems.
Quick question, does openSuse10.1 have 2.16.18?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

The last update for the SuSE 10.1 kernel was 2.6.16.21.

But, if your feeling adventuresome (is that a real word?) there is the SuSE 10.2 beta. It is suppose to contain the 2.6.18.1 kernel. Here's the specs:

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-announce/2006-10/msg00004.html

And here's the latest beta:

http://en.opensuse.org/Development_Version

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I found this thread concerning updating SuSE 10.1 to the 2.6.18 kernel:

Quote:
QUOTE(simby @ Oct 15 2006, 02:35 AM) *

Thanks for this info. How can i update to the new kernel from kernel.org. Any step by step how can i do this?

The kernel.org kernel is a vinilla kernel for all distros. The SuSE version is highly patched. Get the Suse version here: http://repos.opensuse.org/Kernel/SUSE_Linux_10.1/. A howto is here: http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=22341

Warning, if you go this route, you will lose a lot of update capabilities regarding "kernel" -- not recommended for a production system as there may be bugs. Only use the newer kernel if you are having hardware problems. If you have a seperate install you can certainly play with it.

Have fun...

I tried the vanilla kernel awhile back, and alot of things no longer would work. Also, Suse did not keep the old kernel. I had to do an update and forced it to update to the 2.6.16.21 to get the system back to normal.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
hopefulboydy

waterhead, thanks for the info.
I got 10.2 installed and the drives are there.
But I cant test it as the basic install hasnt got gcc so i cant install the tools.

I have tried all sorts of ways to get a gcc rpm installed without success.
Its beginning to drive me crazy. The updater doesnt even show any rpms for gcc. I know I dont have it installed as which gcc shows nothing.

Any tips, anyone?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

You could install gcc from a tar ball. It looks like 4.1.1 is the latest:
http://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.1.1/

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

According to a list of rpms available on the SuSE 10.2 alpha. gcc-4.1.3-13.noarch.rpm is available. check the disk to see if it is. If YAST is used on 10.2, run that and look for gcc to install. It should ask for your installation disk to install it.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote
hopefulboydy

Thanks again for the help.
before you replied, I put in CD 1 and rebooted so I could select the update option.
Doing this I was able to select a lot of packages to install. I picked all the development packages and it installed gcc ok as now the tools compile with no issue ........ but now I have a new problem ... doh !!!
When I boot OpenSuse now, it wont load gnome or KDE as it complains of a display problem (cant open display).

Since I am a bit of a linux novice, I am thinking my easiest fix here is to start from the beginning or even try loading CD 1 again and choose the repair option.

Thanks for the pointer to where I could find the tar ball.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Sounds like a problem with the xserver. I'm not sure how to fix it in SuSE, in Fedora there is a config GUI that you could bring up and change the video driver to the generic vesa driver.

If you were more experienced, I might recommend using a command line text editor, like vi, and editing your xorg.conf file. But hey, you gotta get experience somehow.

I don't know if vi is even in SuSE, but to get to your xorg.conf file try this from the command line:
Code:
vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I'm not sure what to do to fix it, other that changing the driver to vesa.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I guess you may need some vi commands.

a - Add text to the right of the curser
i - Add text to the left of the curser
x - deletes the character under the curser