pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> REALLY basic questions
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
REALLY basic questions
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
noobtard

Hi everyone,

I've been searching on various sites and forums for the past week trying to find some answers, but I'm afraid that my questions are so noobish that I'm going to have to explicitly ask. Sorry in advance.

I am using a 5500 and mythTV. I have DirecTV HD (H20 receiver). I've installed the drivers successfully (what a nightmare) and I can see video on my mythfrontend if I plug a VCR into the component jack on the 5500's triple-cable dongle.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I use a coax cable to record DirecTV from the H20 to the 5500? I have a feeling that coax only to be used with an OTA HD antenna.. All the documentation seems to focus on using an OTA HD antenna for QAM signals. Like I said, I have a DirecTV H20 HD receiver (which I *think* uses NTSC, correct?).

2. If I should NOT use the coax input, can I use an S-Video cable from the H20 to the 5500's S-Video IN to watch and record HD 1080i shows? I can't find whether S-Video can carry a 720 or 1080 signal after an exhaustive google search.

Thanks for any help you might offer and in keeping with the social exchange theory, if anyone needs hosting, I have a dedicated server and a ton of bandwidth. Thanks.

noobtard
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Well, I don't have the 5500, I have the 3000. But, generally the only HD channels that a computer capture card can get are the unencrypted ones. These are usually the OTA channels. You would run a cable directly to the card, not from the box. I don't know if DTV has to give you the locals unencrypted, like cable has to.

If you use the S-video cable, you get a SD picture, 480 I think. There are much cheaper cards available to do that.

Paul

Last edited by waterhead on Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
noobtard

waterhead wrote:
Well, I don't have the 5500, I have the 3000. But, generally the only HD channels that a computer capture card can get are the unencryupted ones. These are usually the OTA channels. You would run a cable directly to the card, not from the box. I don't know if DTV has to give you the locals unencrypted, like cable has to.

If you use the S-video cable, you get a SD picture, 480 I think. There are much cheaper cards available to do that.

Paul

Thank you Paul. I apprecaite your help.
pcHDTV cards (intended use)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote
photonwave

Hello,

I think you may be misunderstanding the purpose of the pcHDTV card.

It is intended to act as a tuner for hdtv broadcasts; so, theoretically, you would connect either a cable feed (RG-6) to the card, or an antenna to the card. The card would then "tune" the cable/antenna feed to a particular frequency so you could watch or record a show on your hard drive. You would have to use a utility like "dvbstream" to tune to a particular channel/frequency, then use either "xine" or "mplayer" to view the HD stream.

It sounds like you already have a tuner (your H20 box). If you wanted to use the pcHDTV card in your setup, then you should split the cable (before it goes into your tuner) and connect it to the pcHDTV card.

My understanding is that you would be able to pick up the network broadcasted HD channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, FOX, WB), IF they are broadcast in your "area", because FCC regulations require that any content that is broadcast over the open air also be made available through cables. (I may have this wrong, so someone else speak up if you can correct my information).

Other HD channels from your cable connection (Showtime, HDNet, HBO, ESPN, etc) would not be viewable on the card because they are encrypted.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:45 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

The FCC DOES NOT require cable companies to rebroadcast local over the air channels. They do it as a "service" to their customers. They must have the permission of the broadcast originator to rebroadcast the channel. A local channel in my area is not on cable because they are unable to come to an agreement on proper compensation for the rebroadcast.

When they do rebroadcast OTA signals, the FCC requires that they be unencrypted.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
REALLY basic questions
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup