pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> dtvscan switches or /dev for cable
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
dtvscan switches or /dev for cable
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
rdawson

My new hd-5500 is working on the cable for analog with:
Fedora core 6 (uname -r reports 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 )
tvtime

But how can I get this to work with the digital signals?
Jacks xine-hd breaks and I know it is the issue with gcc-4 and core6, anybody have a patch?
(failing compiles are video_out_xxmc.c)

dtvscan shows
chanel = 2
... (incrementing up to)
chanel=158
with no other information. How can I confirm card has QAM signals?

1) Is there a dtvscan or dtvsignal command line you can give me to see if I have QAM signals
2) If they are encrypted, will dtvscan report a signal for that chanel, just later I'm unable to decode it?

Also on the command line:
dtvsignal /dev/dvb/adapter/dvr0
says failed opening

So, if the board is working in analog mode, with a 2.6.18 kernel, is digital ok too or is their additional stuff to do...

Is ther a URL for the docs that describes the different devices, I assume that one is an mpeg stream that we pipe to the players.

Pitifully newbie
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:00 pm Reply with quote
rdawson

With this:
dtvsignal -q 4
hangs on the line signal 000. I suppose this intentional and ais a dynamic bargraph for pointing an antenna.
I just want to scan the cable to see if I have HD signals at all or if they are totaly encrypted in my box, or a filter is outside or whatever. I only bought "digital" with a set top DVR, I did not buy HDTV so is it possible that all the HD stuff is filtered out with a line trap?

Going to try the new loopthru code patch posted
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:35 am Reply with quote
jago

There is a more enhanced version of atscscan around here somewhere, I can't find the link right now. That might help you locate more channels.

It is possible that the HD stuff is filtered with a trap, as well as the digital cable box itself (sneaky aren't they?)

Some of my cable channels showed up differently on my TV, then when I scanned with dtvsignal. My local HD channels were on channel 80 - 83. See if you have anything on those, I say that because it's near where older TV's stations cut off, maybe that is special/reserved for some reason? Somewhere around 73 I had a ton as well.

Also it's worth mentioning that my dtvsignal was able to tune/change the channel to the correct one, while getatsc was not.
dtvscan switches or /dev for cable
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup