pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> HDTV 5500, Comcast Digital HD, and MythTV Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
brian_b

Malibyte wrote:

If almost all of them are encrypted....stupid question....why are all of us doing this (trying to get this setup to work with cable) in the first place?

My whole goal was to create an HD-capable DVR system which would also function as a media server for my whole network ...

Ya that's what I started out doing as well... unless some cleaver person comes up with a hack to unencrypt the signal off the cable line, I don't think it's possible with any card, unfortunately - no fault of pcHDTV or anyone else, it's the cable companies trying to protect their investment. I just wish there had been more information available prior to me sinking money into it, but oh well, I guess that's what we are doing now.

I was very disappointed as well to find out I spent $129+ on what essentially boiled down to a NTSC tuner that I could have picked up for $40... I guess I just don't think those handful of HD channels I get are worth the extra $80 - but you always take some risk when playing with "Leading Edge technology" - which "DIY at home ATSC tuners" probably are close to.

Honestly, I won't be recommending the pcHDTV (or any) ATSC tuner for anyone right now, they just aren't worth it. And as far as a support goes, this one really needs some cleaning up and tender loving care: I really don't care to see "Actress of the day Dancing Nude" on a product support forum, 15 posts saying "Hi this is my first post, I have nothing to say", and bottom line - it would be nice if someone official would support the product I paid cash for, rather than relying on other enthusiasts - especially if the company is claiming "support on distributions". If someone were willing to invest that extra money for the return on ATSC, I'd steer them to another company besides pcHDTV right now, it might be a great card, but past the sale and the hardware, there doesn't appear to be anything else.

I can't fault pcHDTV for the product not working as I had hoped, the card does exactly as advertised - it tunes unencrypted ATSC signals, and NTSC signals. But you would think that there would be something better than some open source software that you compile yourself for a product that claims to have support, especially on a "supported distribution" (ie: pre-compiled installation RPM)

by the way --
To get Myth to use a tuner as primary, you can set the recording priority on the tuner and that works for scheduled recordings (but doesn't work for live tv viewing) - however, the default order is the order they were added, so if you delete all your capture cards, then add in the firewire first, it will always be your primary tuner for everything.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
brian_b

Right now, I would have to say - between On Demand features, and a DVR set top box, that those are much better TiVo, and nearly as good as a fully working MythTV box - If you have those 2 features on your cable subscription, I wouldn't see spending another dime on any other set up.

I don't know how Time Warner is doing it, but with Comcast, ~most~ of the major TV shows are available On Demand after they have aired for up to 2 weeks, all movies that are being shown on the premium channels, and a lot more on top of all of that (including HD content). Throw a DVR set top box to catch anything that you can't get On Demand, and you've got everything covered, without having to run a second computer 24/7 and hook it all up.

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for digital cable, because I'm not entirely happy with that either, truth be told, but the fact of the matter is that most digital cable subscriptions are doing something right, I just wish the price would come down.

Really, for me, the only compelling reason for me to play with this system is because I like to tinker with things, it really isn't giving me the ability to do anything that I couldn't do before.
Unrelated question but still on topic comcast/cable/mythtv
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:38 am Reply with quote
slioch

Hey all,

I've been trying to get my mythtv setup to record with the pchdtv 5500 card, mythtv, comcast cable here in SF. I thought that perhaps someone would be able to point me in the right direction...

I've scanned the standard cable frequencies with QAM256 and can find a good selection of channels (in mythtv .20).

Livetv always works, but recording always fails.

My log file shows:

2006-12-05 16:48:17.433 DVBTuning Error: Could not find dvb tuning parameters for mplex 32767

So, the channel db has the proper entry:

+--------+---------+--------+----------+----------+------------------+--
----+----------+--------------+---------+-------------+----------+------
------+--------+-------+----------+----------+---------+---------------+
---------------+---------+-----------+-----------+----------+-----------
------+-----------------+
| chanid | channum | freqid | sourceid | callsign | name |
icon | finetune | videofilters | xmltvid | recpriority | contrast |
brightness | colour | hue | tvformat | commfree | visible |
outputfilters | useonairguide | mplexid | serviceid | atscsrcid | tmoffset | atsc_major_chan | atsc_minor_chan |
| 1702 | 702 | 702 | 1 | KTVUDT | KTVUDT (KTVU-DT) |
| NULL | | 19571 | 0 | 32768 |
32768 | 32768 | 32768 | Default | 0 | 1 | |
0 | 32767 | 0 | NULL | 0 | 702 |
0 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

But the mplexid table dtv_multiplex doesn't have an entry for 32767.

Is this a problem with the scanning when running mythtv-setup?

Or is this a problem with the zap2it listings?

If it is a scanning problem do I need to build up my own channels.conf (even though it appears that with .20 this is no longer needed: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Adding_QAM_Channels_For_HDTV_Tuner_
Cards).

Thanks for any help or hints!
HDTV 5500, Comcast Digital HD, and MythTV
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics