pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

I've been putting together a turn-key distribution for MythTV using a pcHDTV-5500 board. It's intended for one particular hardware setup but it should work with anything using an AMD64, pcHDTV-5500, and NVidia graphics. It's an Ubuntu Edgy-based distribution, and I've set up a repository at

http://www.russotto.net/~russotto/umyth-rep/

The relevant packages are

myth-kernel
Will install a 2.6.17 edgy AMD64 kernel with the -ck patchset, LIRC drivers, V4L-DVB drivers, and NVIDIA drivers

myth-turnkey
Will install all of mythtv 0.20, set up GDM to automatically run the front end at boot time, and put in a default mythtv database with the pchdtv5500 card already set up.

dvb-atsc-tools
Installs the dtvscan, dtvsignal, etc tools.

I also have a bootable CD which can be used to install a system, but I don't have the image up yet.

Note that the myth-turnkey package is only intended for installing on a dedicated mythtv system. If you don't want that, you don't want to install that package. I also have builds of the regular mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes packages (at the same repository).
Turnkey instructions?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
mik

Do you have notes/instructions up on a wiki or somesuch?

I'm struggling with a similar system and would like to try out your dist... I'd be happy to give an ISO a try if you'd like. I'm currently helping to test the 64bit mythdora 3.2, but I'd like to compare with other dists... getting a functional system together wouldn't be bad either Wink

Q: what mobo are you using? One of the things that is giving me grief is the hda-intel sound driver.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Sorry, no docs really. If you want to try an ISO image I'll put that up later tonight. It should be exactly the same as installing ubuntu, except you end up in mythtv-setup ready to set up your channels.

I'm using an ASUS A8N-VM CSM, supported out of the box by Ubuntu.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

OK, it's up at
http://www.russotto.net/~russotto/mythmtr.iso

Select "Install in text mode" from the boot menu.

Everything should be automatic except for the partitioning; you should set it up with one / partition of around 10GB, one swap partition (I use 2GB) and one huge /myth partition.
Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote
mik

Downloading now - I'll give it a go tonight.

Your motherboard is very similar to my ASUS M2NPV-VM - the combination of hda-intel and hd5500 has been vexing with recent kernels and drivers, especially with ivtv drivers I want to add in for my pvr150. Haven't tried an edgy-based setup yet, though - knoppmyth and mythdora haven't been big successes for me...
Re: MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

nybbler wrote:

myth-turnkey
Will install all of mythtv 0.20, set up GDM to automatically run the front end at boot time, and put in a default mythtv database with the pchdtv5500 card already set up.

Note that the myth-turnkey package is only intended for installing on a dedicated mythtv system. If you don't want that, you don't want to install that package. I also have builds of the regular mythtv, mythplugins, and myththemes packages (at the same repository).

Nybbler:

I'm downloading your .iso file right now. Excellent work! I've been struggling to get this thing working under Mandriva x86-64 with some success, but with problems like getting the tuner to switch from dvb to analog to record (though it will record from live TV with the analog tuner), etc. which have been driving me nuts.

It sounds like I need to install the myth-turnkey package because I had all kinds of issues with setting up the channel database (either the dvb side or the analog side wouldn't scan, etc.). However, I also want to use the box for other things. I assume that it's no big deal to go in later and change your GDM settings to allow me to fire up a window manager instead of the frontend?

Thanks very much for the effort!!
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

It runs mythtv under the standard gnome window manager already. If you turn off auto-login for the mythtv user, you should be able to do just about everything. I removed a bunch of the ubuntu-desktop stuff to make room on the CD (Evolution and OpenDesktop, mainly) but if you need it there shouldn't be any problem re-installing it.

One other thing, which should be old hat to people using other mythtv distros -- when the installer asks you to pick a user name, don't pick mythtv! The mythtv user is created later.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Malibyte

Nybbler:

I've installed your distro in a spare partition on my machine tonight. The install went just fine, but when I went to scan for channels, I ran into the same problem as before...scanned the dvb side first, got the QAM-256 channels, but then tried to get the NTSC channels on the analog side - nada...sits there and does nothing.

How did you deal with this on your system?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
mik

Nybbler: Hrm - had trouble with your iso - the ubuntu install failed during "installing base system" around 60% during "configuring devices". Do you have an md5sum of your iso? The disk I burned from your package failed the media test and I wasn't sure if I really have a corrupted image or if the internal checksums aren't set up.

I'm in the middle of trying a vanilla ubuntu + your packages... so far so good, but I haven't completed the myth configuration yet, so I cannot claim success.
I'm using a freshly downloaded edgy-alternate-amd64 install with your repositories.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:03 am Reply with quote
nybbler

MD5 is

38fe03d0d672fbf195cfea8b2f9e6591 mythmtr.iso

That's the version up on the web; I'll check the master copy when I get a chance; it's possible it got corrupted on my end somehow (though it was a simple 'scp').

The internal checksums should work also, I followed the InstallCDCustomization page on the ubuntu wiki.

Edit: It probably was a corrupted transfer. Apache defaults to transferring .iso files as text/plain. I've fixed that on the server.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:18 am Reply with quote
mik

Hmmm - my iso file compares properly. Maybe my burner blew it.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

Nybbler - a couple of quick questions, since I've installed your distro (which looks pretty slick so far - good work). I still have my Mandriva install on another partition, which is "sort of" working but definitely has issues.

Should I wipe the database and try scanning for the NTSC channels *first*, then the QAM-256 channels?

I think some of my problems with the Mandriva install have to do with how I've remapped/edited the channels. Some of the NTSC channels are also rebroadcast on the dvb side, with better quality. How do I remap them so the local SD channel 2 (CBS) is found on the dvb rather than the analog input? I tried simply moving the channel number over to the digital entry in the list, then deleting the analog one, buit that hasn't solved the problem.

Also, I have the cable-company STB feeding the s-video input on the 5500. Do I even bother doing a channel scan on the s-video input, or just tell it to use 6200ch to change the channels and leave it at that? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to route the audio for that input. I'm thinking about using it because a lot of channels are encrypted, both on the dvb input (raw cable) and the firewire output from the STB.

Thanks.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

mik: If you failed to verify isolinux/boot.cat, that's a problem with the CD mastering process I used. If any other file failed, something else happened. I'll get a verifiable CD up later tonight.

Mailbyte: I don't know what's going on with your NTSC channels. If you have another video capture card in the system it could confuse things, but that's all I can think of. The order should not matter. Here's how I do it: Create a video source "analog". Set it to "no grabber" (just for testing purposes) and channel frequency table "us-cable" (or us-bcast for broadcast). Connect that video source to the "Television" input on the card. Then scan for channels.

Once you have the analog and digital channels both scanned in, you can simply delete any analog ones which you don't want. If you want the Zap2It Datadirect listings to work, I think it goes by call sign, so you fill in the call sign on the digital side and make sure that channel is enabled on the listing source you use.
New .iso is up
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:16 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

No changes to the contents, but this one verifies itself properly

MD5:
fc36ae495990d239cc22587362b3bd81 mythmtr.iso
Gave up...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
mik

I've officially given up trying to get both my hd5500 and my haup. pvr-150 to work in the same box... good for pcHDTV, I ordered a second hd5500 to take over for my second tuner - given the amount of time I've blown trying to get it to work and how annoyed my wife is getting, I think everyone will be happier.

Still cannot get your iso to work - dies in the same place configuring dev. Weird, huh? But, I am having good luck with ubuntu (edgy alternate amd64)+your repository, so modulo some minor glitches, I think I have a solution that'll work for me.

Thanks again!
MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux