pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux -> MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

Ok, the /dev/input/event device is a red herring; it's there because my patch doesn't remove it, but it won't work. As far as I can tell, to use that device you have to decode the remote codes in kernel space, which means only one particular remote can be used. The proper device is /dev/lirc or /dev/lirc/0 or /dev/lirc0 (depending on distro). If you don't have that device, something is wrong.

It looks like lirc_dev loaded; that's the module you need. But for some reason your lirc_dev isn't depended on by cx88xx. That suggests that you didn't get the new module but rather are still running the old one. Also you didn't set LIRC_HOME, which should have resulted in a build failure. Try doing a "make distclean" in the v4l-dvb directory, followed by the "make" and "sudo make install". The v4l-dvb build process is pretty complex and sometimes it takes a distclean to get everything working right after a change (which is too bad because it takes a long time).
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
dave

What's crazy is that I randomly hit the volume button (previously I had been hitting the channel or power buttons to see if anything registered on dmesg) and the volume meter popped up on my screen indicating that it was reading the remote.

I didn't have lircd running at the time. It worked with and without lircd. It never printed anything in dmesg. And it still gave me all of the errors that I listed in my last post.

I opened my mythTV front end and the grey hauppauge remote that I am borrowing was able to control most things and most buttons worked. I played around for a while, enjoying the euphoria, then I crossed my fingers and rebooted.

I've now spent the last five hours trying to figure out how to get it to work again. D'OH!

In your distro do you are you using the 2.6.17 kernel? From my latest surfing, I've learned that some i2c IR port have support built into the 2.6.17 kernel using the ir_common module. I assume that is how my remote briefly worked.

I remade and installed the package v4l-dvb-HD-5500-driver.tar.gz with out the modifications. Then I no longer had a /dev/input/eventsX for the IR port. I reinstalled your patches and it reappeared. It still doesn't seem to be dependent on lirc_dev.

I don't remember seeing instructions on setting LIRC_HOME, other than in the Makefile (the first section in your first patch: http://www.speakeasy.org/~russotto/pc5500-remote-patch.diff . Am I suppose to do something else?

A couple other weird things: sometimes I have /dev/lirc, sometimes I don't. Of course I'm installing and uninstalling things like crazy. When I do have /dev/lirc I still get errors saying that it can't initiallize the hardware because it doesn't exist.

Last thing, I think somewhere in one of your posts you mentioned that you didn't like how devices can be moved on reboot. The following link has instructions on fixing this.

http://parker1.co.uk/mythtv_tips.php
under the "Make the LIRC Device Static" heading.

Thanks so much for all of your help!

EDIT: I removed all things lirc (except liblircclient0) and lsmoded to make sure that lirc_dev was not loaded. I then did a make clean, and then a make, and I'm not getting any errors. To verify, the files that I needed to patch should be located at ~/Desktop/v4l-dvb/linux/drivers/media/video/cx88/ (both Makefile and cx88-input.c).

I also forgot to mention that I don't have a dev/input driver. I only have the "default" driver
Code:
r:~/Desktop/v4l-dvb$ irrecord -H=help
Driver `=help' not supported.
Supported drivers:

RE-EDIT: I was just looking at your patches. Everything in the cx88-input.c file is enclosed in if "USE_LIRC" statements. How can I be sure that the USE_LIRC flag is set?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
nybbler

I just tried building with my patches without setting LIRC_HOME. It failed trying to compile cx88-input, as expected. I think that somehow you aren't getting my patches.

The patch to the Makefile sets USE_LIRC. You have to set the LIRC_HOME environment yourself (to your LIRC build directory). But if you can build without doing that, something went wrong. Which version of v4l-dvb are you patching?
ARG!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote
dave

O.K., so I'm a moron. I fixed my patched Makefile. I thought that LIRC_HOME was a placeholder that I had to manually set. Now it works and doesn't work as expected (i.e. I have to set LIRC_HOME in the command line, it needs lirc_dev, and cs88xx depends on it).

After some changes and such I reboot and the remote works. And then I reboot and it doesn't. And then I reboot 50 more times and it still doesn't work. I make more changes, reboot, and it works. Reboot, it doesn't work. I'm about to pull my hair out.

I think it might have something to do with the audio on the pcHDTV card. Occasionally after reboot I have to switch my mythTV from dsp to dsp1 or vice versa. When I need it to be dsp1 then the audio settings on my desktop are also weird (the volume control doesn't work, etc). In System->Preferences->Sound->Sounds the default sound card switches from AMD AMD8111 to Conexant CX8801. There was a time where the remote was working, but then after mythTV accessed the wrong sound card it stopped working.

Any thoughts?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:07 am Reply with quote
nybbler

Now you're in the realm of known difficulties, at least. You can stop the audio from taking over the default audio slot by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d containing the line

options cx88_alsa index=-2

It's possible your lirc device is moving around as well, I think someone posted a link earlier in the thread to address that.
Random news
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

I've noticed occasional system lock-ups while recording analog and flagging commercials on my own system. I suspect this may be due to JFS locking issues which have been fixed since the kernel I use. So it might be wise to stick with XFS rather than JFS.

Some other good news -- I tried out the latest 9xxx series nvidia driver, and it's quite a bit faster, resulting in reduced tearing artifacts while playing back 1080i deinterlaced on my AMD 3200+ system. I'll be packaging that up when I get a chance. I've already put up an update to the v4l-dvb package based on the December 2006 snapshot, which includes an analog color artifact fix. (it does not fix the color banding problem I posted about elsewhere)

I also found out that using the -ck kernel scheduler is unnecessary; the mainline kernel includes a (little-known, apparently) way to use realtime priority without privilege. I will be trying that out as well. Unfortunately this won't drop the custom kernel requirement, as Ubuntu for some reason slows the timer interrupt on their default kernels.
Abort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quote
dave

nybbler,

Sorry for my silence. I split my coax near the antenna to feed a small tv upstairs for the kids. After that I couldn't get a strong enough signal down in the basement where our HTPC is. (The signal went from ~90% to ~60%!) I ended up dusting off an old pentium 3 to run as a slave backend upstairs where the signal is good. (I now get ~99%).

Anyway, since the card is upstairs with the slave backend, I no longer need to worry about trying to get the IR port working.

Now to a question that actually relates to this thread. Do you think your distro could run inside vmware server?

Thanks for all your help,
Dave
Re: Abort
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

You might be able to run the distro inside vmware, but it won't be able to access the card or anything.
vmware
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
dave

By "the card" I assume you mean the pcHDTV 5500, right?

What if I try running it just as a front end?

I'm just curious, I can probably try it out for you if you'd like.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote
rogerdugans

Just a mention-
While I don't use an AMD64 system for my Myth rig, I am going to to your Ubuntu packages in Mepis and see how it goes. Wink

Nice work, in any case! Very Happy

Re: vmware
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
nybbler

dave wrote:
By "the card" I assume you mean the pcHDTV 5500, right?

What if I try running it just as a front end?

I'm just curious, I can probably try it out for you if you'd like.

Yes, I expect VMWare won't let you access the pcHDTV 5500. You can probably run as a front end but not very well; you probably won't get OpenGL syncing, and you certainly won't get the pseudo-real-time priority. HD playback is extremely demanding in terms of resources, even on modern machines, so virtualizing it isn't likely to be satisfactory.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

New nVidia driver is available:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.6.17-10-mtr2-generic
how do i use this?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:43 pm Reply with quote
phersotty

Hi,

I am trying to use nybbler's distro. i'm a 3 year old newbie more of a desktop user than terminal. I downloaded the turnkey distro and it never quite installed. It finished the install and then got stuck on 52% libtty ??

So now I am trying to just use the http://www.russotto.net/~russotto/umyth-rep/ repository only I don't know exactly how to format it in my /etc/apt/sources.list. When I do apt-get update it tells me it is malformed.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

deb http://www.russotto.net/~russotto/umyth-rep edgy mythmtr
Almost there! The .iso solved 90% of my problems.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
kbh3rd

Thanks, Nybbler! I installed the .iso on my amd64 system and the HD5500 card worked immediately.

I'm a long-time Unix & Linux hacker/programmer/admin, so compling things and rebuilding kernels, etc., are generally no problem. My remaining challenges are in large part due to me being unfamiliar with Ubuntu and the Debian packaging system, exactly what you included in the .iso, and therefore how I should go about making changes I need. (I've mostly worked w/ Fedora & its earlier kin).

Remaining challenges: 1) Getting my StreamZap remote to work; 2) Getting either 1366x768 resolution, or at least full-height playback so my tv can stretch to the right aspect ratio, albeit with a lesser resolution.

I'm more concerned right now with the remote, since the system would at least be usable in a normal fashion by the non-techies in the house. In currently loaded modules:

$ lsmod | fgrep lirc
lirc_dev 19496 1 cx88xx

I guess I need to build the lirc_streamzap module? I downloaded it, but it reports that I need to have the kernel source installed, which makes plenty of sense. Where do I get right kernel source for this distro?

Getting the nVidia card to work at my TV's resolution is another problem for another day, but if you have any tips ....

Thanks,
Ken
MythTV/PC5500 turnkey distro
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Building home entertainment systems in linux