pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> How do i see the signal level on 5500 with kernel 2.19
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
How do i see the signal level on 5500 with kernel 2.19
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
briaric

Got the pcHDTV 5500 card on Tuesday, recompiled the 2.18.3 kernel with DVB settings as modules and I am able to see NTSC channels with tvtime. ATSC channels are intermittent and I am looking at improving the antenna and pre-amp to see if that helps.

I noticed the message about no dtvsignal with 2.18.x kernel so i upgraded to a 2.19 kernel (GENTOO-r2)

But of course dtvsignal does not work. I have been using dtvsnr but that only gives one part of the information.

What is needed to get signal information?

I will have more questions about xine, mplayer, etc. I used what I had for xine and it appears to work so I am not sure what the patches would do and have not applied them yet. I started with this card before buying the big HTDV monitors knowing I needed to do something with antennas although my RF experience is weak.

Look forward to responses,

Brian

Last edited by briaric on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
nybbler

I don't know why it doesn't work, but there is something you should know: The signal strength and SNR numbers are derived from the same chip register. So getting signal strength will not get you any more information.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
briaric

I trashed my gentoo system by accidentally installing over my /, /usr, /etc, and so on. I have not looked at this lately. Actually the kernel version was 2.6.19 (gentoo r2)

I am a bit confused about SNR verses Signal strength. I don't know much about the chipset and what the numbers mean. Electrical Engineering is my background although my RF knowledge is not strong. Did just a bit of work with RF in the 24GHz spectrum for distance measurement devices.

I would expect Signal Strength to be raw signal value.
SNR would be the ratio of Signal verses noise.

For the numbers on SNR what are acceptable values?

Thanks,

Brian
How do i see the signal level on 5500 with kernel 2.19
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup