pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD-3000 availability Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000 availability
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
difi

The HD-2000 website menu items have been replaced with HD-3000 designations and info, but, surprisingly, there's still no timeline for availability posted.

Could someone who knows update us? (I'm surprised how little info the company has released on this forum. Eager customers want to know...)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Is it just a 3.3V version of the HD2000?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:06 pm Reply with quote
kb7oeb

From the picture it looks like they also add the physicall connectors that mythtv sees in software like S-video and composite. It also sounds like they are adding stereo to the analog portion
Broadcast flag in HD-3000
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote
emptyk

Anyone know if the HD-3000 will beat the timeline for the FCC broadcast flag built-in ??
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:50 pm Reply with quote
abject

And... what about *gulp* drivers?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:26 am Reply with quote
inkling

The drivers should be very similar. The new chips should retain same functions as old BT848, just as BT878 more or less acts like BT848.

I'm spouting off here as I have no inside knowledge, but it seems to me once you have a working chip design (Bt848) new stuff (Bt878) is feature creep or bugfixes. That's my general observation from the 848 and 878 datasheets.

There is no telling what chip will be in new card, but with any luck drivers will not need a lot of changes to get it working. bttv project is possible because of the nearly identical designs used by everyone.

Why re-invent the wheel?

just my $0.02
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:09 am Reply with quote
crow

Considering that they've stated that the HD-3000 is compatible with the HD-2000, I'm under the impression that the cards use the same driver. Since they use a hacked-up bttv driver, they should be able to switch around the NTSC chip a bit without any driver issues.

Personally, the card that I would like to see is one that ignores analog entirely. A simple pure ATSC-only card is all I want. Well, I would pay more for one that had an internal splitter and two tuners. I'm making a wild guess here, but I suspect that the savings in droping analog wouldn't save much on the overall cost, and the parts necessary to have two tuners would double the cost, so the current design is logical.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

The NTSC parts of the HD-2000 aren't worth much to me either if the frame capturing doesn't work. Or did someone get that working?
cards we'd like to see
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
inkling

I'm not opposed to NTSC support.

For next few years, you'll want composite, antenna and svideo inputs for NTSC grade material, to be competitive.

Not to mention useful. It's not going to migrate overnight even with FCC hammer.

As I only needed ATSC, and have no need for any NTSC inputs, HD2000 does all I wanted it to do. I don't expect much different from the HD3000 when it arrives.

Now if you want to talk dream cards full of all kinds of possible technologies:

1) Card has about 1GB of 90nm 33mhz cache so operating system can fart around as long as it wants, as long as CPU returns every 3 minutes or so to empty the cache.

It doesn't have to be clocked fast, so should run cool. 33mhz mem/pci is at least 8x more than enough for 20Mbps signal.

2) Dual bt848/878/whatever that does signal detection during capture to allow possible antenna adjustment via servo control.

I recognize immediately that 1) will cache possibly bad data unless 2) has some way to find a good signal and if not, it invalidates 1).

One possible solution is to only cache packets that are known to be good, if that can be determined.

Gotta love those engineering puzzles.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:17 am Reply with quote

crow wrote:
Considering that they've stated that the HD-3000 is compatible with the HD-2000, I'm under the impression that the cards use the same driver. Since they use a hacked-up bttv driver, they should be able to switch around the NTSC chip a bit without any driver issues.

The pc2000 used a BT878A, hence the bttv driver, but the pc3000 uses the newer CX23883, which will require the cx88 driver.
http://linux.bytesex.org/v4l2/drivers.html

Plus there is a new tuner (looks like pc3000=Thomson vs pc2000=Philips?) and an updated Oren demodulator (pc3000=OR5122 or OR5132 vs. pc2000 =older Oren chip?).

So changes should be in store.
Re: Broadcast flag in HD-3000
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Ulmo

emptyk wrote:
Anyone know if the HD-3000 will beat the timeline for the FCC broadcast flag built-in ??

My guess is that that is the point; a Christmas special. Get ready to order these things as soon as they're available.

This seems like an updated version of the previous card, with some minor incremental changes in concept and parts, requiring a number of relatively innert software changes. So, not identical, but certainly straightforward to support after supporting the HD-2000.

Since the design is already present, it seems like we'll just make it before the end of the year. I'm getting my Christmas budget ready.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:46 am Reply with quote

Maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm begining to wonder if the broadcasters association (and maybe the MPAA and others) are attempting to preemptively strong arm pcHDTV to abandon the HD-3000 before it gets to market.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Ulmo

I don't think there's anything they can do about it, but they could offer a lot of money to the people.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quote
SteveX

This is killing me. I waited too long to get the HD2000 only to find out that it is sold out. "Available soon" is a very relative term. I would be happy if they started taking orders now with the promise of shipping my HD3000 "soon".
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote
crow

Actually, I'm glad that they have the honesty not to take orders until they know when they will have the cards to ship.
HD-3000 availability
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics