pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions -> Audio for S-Video input on 5500 card
Audio for S-Video input on 5500 card
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

I have TIme Warner digital-cable in the Los Angeles area. I'm feeding the raw cable to the 5500 card's TV input for the NTSC and digital/HD channels, but unfortunately, some of the digital channels are encrypted, so I'm trying to set up the s-video input (fed by the cable box) to get the encrypted ones. I get video, I can change channels in Myth with 6200ch, but can't figure out how to get the audio set up correctly. Since the analog tuner in the 5500 uses its own sound chip, output to my regular sound card (Audigy), I can't configure (in Myth) the s-video input to use the Audigy card - since it seems that all analog inputs must be conifgured to use the same audio device.

Does anyone have this configured/working?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

I'm beginning to assume that there must have been an adapter that was supposed to have come with the card for s-video with audio in (???)

I didn't get one.

I have sent e-mail to the support address on another issue (last week) and haven't yet gotten a reply. Does anyone have the phone # for the company?

Thanks...Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

If your search for audio, you should be able to find some more posts that describe how it works better. The card can only record audio if it's part of an analog TV channel on the card's tuner/coaxial input. You can not record audio with s-video with any of the pcHDTV cards. You must use a sound card to get the audio. This is a limitation of the cx23880 chip. Recording audio with s-video would mean adding an audio ADC chip to the card. Just buy a $10 soundcard.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

xyzzy wrote:
If your search for audio, you should be able to find some more posts that describe how it works better. The card can only record audio if it's part of an analog TV channel on the card's tuner/coaxial input. You can not record audio with s-video with any of the pcHDTV cards. You must use a sound card to get the audio. This is a limitation of the cx23880 chip. Recording audio with s-video would mean adding an audio ADC chip to the card. Just buy a $10 soundcard.

xyzzy:

I have a sound card...that's fine (an Audigy 2 ZS). The problem is that I'm already feeding the output of the 5500 into it (which works fine for the NTSC channels), but I need to assign the 5500's /dev/dspX device as the default sound device for all of the v4l "sub-devices" on the 5500....if I run both the STB's audio output and the 5500's to the sound card, I can't specify a different /dev/dspX device for the s-video input than the analog tuner under Myth 0.20a.

To get the group of encrypted channels I can't get via the raw cable, I need to use the s-vid input, fed by the STB. So...is there a way to do this (dvb and analog input via raw cable along with the s-video input for the STB)?

I assumed that I was missing some sort of adapter because the s-video input is not a standard "video-only" pinout, and thought that such an adapter would feed that audio from the STB through the 5500 out through the line-out jack to my sound card.

I could use Firewire, but the same channels are encrypted as on the raw cable, so that doesn't work.

Thanks...Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote
xyzzy

I thought you were talking about recording the audio with the hd-5500, as it can record the analog audio from the tuner without using a soundcard. What would be best is to use hd-5500's audio capture abilities for the tuner and the sound card for s-video, but it sounds like myth doesn't support this.

I think there is a break-out cable that supposed to come with the HD-5500, discussed here. You must already have this if you are using the s-video port. It could be that the HD-5500 doesn't have the audio pass-through function that the HD-3000 did.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Malibyte

xyzzy wrote:
I thought you were talking about recording the audio with the hd-5500, as it can record the analog audio from the tuner without using a soundcard. What would be best is to use hd-5500's audio capture abilities for the tuner and the sound card for s-video, but it sounds like myth doesn't support this.

I think there is a break-out cable that supposed to come with the HD-5500, discussed here. You must already have this if you are using the s-video port. It could be that the HD-5500 doesn't have the audio pass-through function that the HD-3000 did.

Thanks for that; I looked at that thread...I suppose that if it came down to it, I'd do some soldering if I knew it'd work.

The only reason I'm getting video right now is that I have a breakout cable from an old ATI All-in-Wonder card which happens to have the same plug (and at least partly the same pinout)....but despite the fact that the ATI breakout cable has plugs for the right and left audio channels, all I get is static/white noise.

Surely SOMEONE has to be using the s-video input on this card? Can anyone remember whether the card came with an s-video input adapter (I'll be happy to pay for another one if it'd solve the audio issue).

Thanks
Bob

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions