pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> pcHDTV 3000 and mythTV (good experience)
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
pcHDTV 3000 and mythTV (good experience)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
manyoso

Just received my card this morning. It took 3 hours from physical installation of the card to recording an HD program with MythTV ... all fully configured and compiled from straight cvs.

The card performs great even without a robust video card. I can watch live tv and pause/fast forward with no blips. I have an old geforce2 mx so this is all in software. My machine is a dual processor so that probably helps though.

BTW, the drivers and tools for the card installed and worked flawlessly with my SuSE 9.1 distro. No modifications except a slight change of one line to one Makefile. So, no big headaches for non-redhat anymore.

Finally, a big hearty THANK YOU to the mythtv developers and the folks at pcHDTV, inc.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:35 am Reply with quote
schome1

Can you outline the steps you took to get everything working. I am using Suse 9.1 as well. It appears that the driver installed correctly, and I can get a signal from one station (Is the HDTV signal so sensitive that the antenna must point directly at the station? I live within ten miles of every station and I can only get one - have not turned the antenna yet though) However, trying to install xine-hd was a headache. I have all kinds of compiler errors. I haven't tried mythtv-hd yet. You say you got it from cvs and it worked flawlessly? I'll have to try that instead of xine - unless you have tips for getting that to build. Thanks for any info.
I can try to help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:11 am Reply with quote
manyoso

schome1 wrote:
Can you outline the steps you took to get everything working. I am using Suse 9.1 as well. It appears that the driver installed correctly, and I can get a signal from one station (Is the HDTV signal so sensitive that the antenna must point directly at the station? I live within ten miles of every station and I can only get one - have not turned the antenna yet though)

I can try, but really, it all worked great right out of the box. As far as the 2.6 drivers go, I just built them like normal and installed like normal. Then load every .ko driver with modprobe [driver].ko as root.

I live in the greater Boston metro area. I receive every major station plus several not so major stations. The antenna is from my apartment building, so I don't know which kind. Make sure you run dtvscan to determine which channels it is picking up. Also, you need to point dtvsignal at the __actual frequency__ NOT the channel number!!

Here is a sample of the output from my dtvscan:

Quote:

user@computer:~> dtvscan /dev/dtv
main: argc 2 argv[1] /dev/dtv
video unit v4l minor = -1073745696
dtv unit v4l minor = 1073794166
channel = 2
channel = 3
channel = 4
channel = 5
channel = 6
channel = 7
channel = 8
channel = 9
channel = 10
channel = 11
channel = 12
channel = 13
channel = 14
channel = 15
channel = 16
channel = 17
channel = 18
channel = 19
Signal: 04 ####
look for sync
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
PAT found ckets
WGBH-SD: : 2.1 :19: 2:0
PBS-HD : : 2.2 :19: 3:0
UpdatTV: : 2.101:19: 6:0
channel = 20
Signal: 04 ####
look for sync
PAT found ckets
WCVB-DT: : 5.1 :20: 1:0
WCVB-DT: : 5.2 :20: 2:0
channel = 21
channel = 22
channel = 23

Ok, so it has found channels at the frequencies of 19 and 20. The channel numbers for the 19 frequency are 2.1, 2.2 and 2.01 respectively. The number after the colon is the actual frequency. Don't be fooled by the "channel = " stuff. It was confusing to me, but the point is that dtvsignal is looking for the actual frequencies. You can use antennaweb.org to determine the actual frequencies. They are in the far right column.

schome1 wrote:
However, trying to install xine-hd was a headache. I have all kinds of compiler errors. I haven't tried mythtv-hd yet. You say you got it from cvs and it worked flawlessly? I'll have to try that instead of xine - unless you have tips for getting that to build. Thanks for any info.

xine-hd built just fine for me. No errors. Tell me what kind of compiler errors you are receiving. It all just works for me. I am a developer though (KDE) so perhaps I have a bunch of the devel packages that you don't. I don't know. Hard to say unless you supply the error messages.
So why isn't my card detected?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:24 am Reply with quote
msk

I opened one of the two HD3000s I received yesterday and installed it in my Mythbox. Neither BIOS nor lspci detect it. I got the drivers to compile against the Debian 2.6.7 kernel I use and they do load, but nothing happens - no signals, no lights on the card.

I installed it in my desktop and got the same thing - no evidence that the card is installed.

I don't want to open the other until I'm more sure why this card isn't seen.
Re: So why isn't my card detected?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quote
manyoso

msk wrote:
I opened one of the two HD3000s I received yesterday and installed it in my Mythbox. Neither BIOS nor lspci detect it. I got the drivers to compile against the Debian 2.6.7 kernel I use and they do load, but nothing happens - no signals, no lights on the card.

I installed it in my desktop and got the same thing - no evidence that the card is installed.

I don't want to open the other until I'm more sure why this card isn't seen.

You are on the mythtv-users list asking if my mobo is 2.2 PCI compliant, right? You'll have to email pchdtv support and see what Jack says about non 2.2 compliant PCI slots. I don't know. Only other thing I can think to offer is to suggest you make sure it is really _seated_ in the PCI slot. Perhaps it isn't. That would certainly explain it. Also, how is your bios configured for IRQ conflicts. That might also be a source of problems.

Good luck.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quote
schome1

These are the errors I get when building xine-hd-lib...

input_dtv.c: In function `dtv_plugin_set_channel':
input_dtv.c:266: error: `VIDEO_MODE_ATSC' undeclared (first use in this function)
input_dtv.c:266: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
input_dtv.c:266: error: for each function it appears in.)
input_dtv.c: In function `dtv_plugin_get_signal':
input_dtv.c:576: error: storage size of `vsig' isn't known
input_dtv.c:584: error: `VIDIOCGSIGNAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
input_dtv.c:576: warning: unused variable `vsig'
input_dtv.c: In function `init_plugin':
input_dtv.c:943: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
input_dtv.c: At top level:
input_dtv.c:572: warning: `dtv_plugin_get_signal' defined but not used
make[4]: *** [input_dtv.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src/input'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src/input'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I just installed suse last night (I used arch before, but wasn't sure if the card would work with arch). I don't know if I'm installing the packages correctly or not. To my surprize, I had to download the makefile package, along with gcc - both of which I thought would have been installed by default.

Thanks for the help!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:02 am Reply with quote
manyoso

schome1 wrote:
These are the errors I get when building xine-hd-lib...

input_dtv.c: In function `dtv_plugin_set_channel':
input_dtv.c:266: error: `VIDEO_MODE_ATSC' undeclared (first use in this function)
input_dtv.c:266: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
input_dtv.c:266: error: for each function it appears in.)
input_dtv.c: In function `dtv_plugin_get_signal':
input_dtv.c:576: error: storage size of `vsig' isn't known
input_dtv.c:584: error: `VIDIOCGSIGNAL' undeclared (first use in this function)
input_dtv.c:576: warning: unused variable `vsig'
input_dtv.c: In function `init_plugin':
input_dtv.c:943: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
input_dtv.c: At top level:
input_dtv.c:572: warning: `dtv_plugin_get_signal' defined but not used
make[4]: *** [input_dtv.lo] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src/input'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src/input'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I just installed suse last night (I used arch before, but wasn't sure if the card would work with arch). I don't know if I'm installing the packages correctly or not. To my surprize, I had to download the makefile package, along with gcc - both of which I thought would have been installed by default.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, here is your problem. You need to install the videodev.h header file that is included in your driver CD in place of the one that comes with your kernel. That is where `VIDEO_MODE_ATSC' is defined.

Here is the walk through:

Go into [HD-3000CD]/linux/FedoraCore2-Kernel-2.6-systems/drivers/FedoraCore2-HD3000-driver-rev-1.1

and have a look at the Makefile 'less Makefile' ... you see the line 'install -c include/videodev.h /usr/include/linux' near the bottom? That is what needs to be done.

You can simply 'sudo make install' in that directory and it should put videodev.h into /usr/include/linux. Take a look at your /usr/include/linux/videodev.h file right now and verify that it is not the same one as on the CD ie, search for 'VIDEO_MODE_ATSC' ... you won't find it.

After that is done you should be able to build xine just fine.

Oh, and yes, SuSE 9.1 ... you need to use YaST to install all of the development packages. I go to Start Menu->System->YaST then into 'Install and Remove Software' and search for the packages I need and install them.

Ciao.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the walk through. I will check this out tonight as I'm at work (lunch break).
Re: I can try to help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I can try, but really, it all worked great right out of the box. As far as the 2.6 drivers go, I just built them like normal and installed like normal. Then load every .ko driver with modprobe [driver].ko as root.

I live in the greater Boston metro area. I receive every major station plus several not so major stations. The antenna is from my apartment building, so I don't know which kind. Make sure you run dtvscan to determine which channels it is picking up. Also, you need to point dtvsignal at the __actual frequency__ NOT the channel number!!

I am currently installing one of the hd3k cards and read your post above...you say to modprobe *.ko (which I didnt do the first time I installed this today, and it didnt work so Im resintalling FC2 as I type this) but I dont remember seeing that anywhere in the docs so is that something that MUST be done to get it all working? I can compile all the drivers, xine-lib, ui, hd etc...but when I try to use dtvscan it runs thru the list of channels in about 3 seconds and I get nothing like you did above. If this doesnt work, I guess Ill have to look at my antennae, altho a similar model is working for my lil bro on his HDTV Set+tuner(some sony model) so I figured this one would work as well. Hope I get this working eventually, lol this is quite irritating.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:46 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

Yeah I forgot to add my username to my post above...ugh even more irritated now lol. Dont want you to get confused by all the posts by 'Guest'.
Re: I can try to help
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
manyoso

Anonymous wrote:

I am currently installing one of the hd3k cards and read your post above...you say to modprobe *.ko (which I didnt do the first time I installed this today, and it didnt work so Im resintalling FC2 as I type this) but I dont remember seeing that anywhere in the docs so is that something that MUST be done to get it all working?

CAREFUL! I assumed you'd know what I was saying, sorry. You might do best to follow the written directions that the card came with. What I meant was I did a modprobe, as root, for every driver that is built. This looks like:

'modprobe bttv' etc, etc

Basically, every .ko file you see built after you do a make in the driver directory, I'd do install it via modprobe. This is so I could see the card working right away instead of having to modify modules.conf and rebooting. Look at 'man modprobe' as well as 'man lsmod', 'man insmod', and 'man rmmod' to see what I was doing.

Anonymous wrote:

I can compile all the drivers, xine-lib, ui, hd etc...but when I try to use dtvscan it runs thru the list of channels in about 3 seconds and I get nothing like you did above. If this doesnt work, I guess Ill have to look at my antennae, altho a similar model is working for my lil bro on his HDTV Set+tuner(some sony model) so I figured this one would work as well. Hope I get this working eventually, lol this is quite irritating.

Well, if dtvscan is working then I assume you have the drivers installed. If you don't see any signals then, yes, perhaps it is your antenna.
It's my motherboard
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quote
msk

I got to try the cards in a friend's newer motherboard and they were detected properly. I got his WinXP installation to do NTSC capture from one of the cards (he has only cable, didn't have an antenna with which to test ATSC).

So it's time to shop for a motherboard. I really want 64-bit, but have read of performance problems with Athlon64.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:16 am Reply with quote

Well, I had partial success. I was able to watch HDTV using xine-hd, however, many frames were dropped and it was somewhat unstable. That may have been an xine problem. I attempted to install mythtv and everytime I ran configure, it just showed me hardware information saying that the configure wasn't for mythrv, but for something else. make wouldn't work since there was no makefile.

Then, I rebooted my system to see if that would clean things up and get the card to run more smoothly. After reboot, the card stopped working. Said there was no /dev/dtv device.

So now I'm stumped again.
Man, you sure are having problems...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:18 am Reply with quote
manyoso

Anonymous wrote:
Well, I had partial success. I was able to watch HDTV using xine-hd, however, many frames were dropped and it was somewhat unstable. That may have been an xine problem.

Ok, first, since you _were_ able to watch some HDTV that means the card is working. Now, what are the specs for your machine (a slow machine or inadequate video card will explain the dropped frames) and how good is your antenna (you might need a better one if that is the bottleneck).

Anonymous wrote:
I attempted to install mythtv and everytime I ran configure, it just showed me hardware information saying that the configure wasn't for mythrv, but for something else. make wouldn't work since there was no makefile.

What?? Are you installing mythtv from cvs or from packages? You have to read the instructions, man:

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.5

MythTV is a Qt based program. The build system uses Trolltech's build tool, 'qmake'. After you run configure you have to type 'qmake mythtv.pro' and __then__ 'make'.

Anonymous wrote:

Then, I rebooted my system to see if that would clean things up and get the card to run more smoothly. After reboot, the card stopped working. Said there was no /dev/dtv device.

So now I'm stumped again.

Rebooting rarely fixes anything in the Linux world. That is an anachronism of Windows. The reason your /dev/dtv device didn't show up after you rebooted is because it is not loading the appropriate device drivers by default, ie bttv, cx88xx etc, etc. You'll need to redo the modprobe thing (this installs the device drivers in the running kernel) and then edit your modules.conf file in order to make these device drivers load by default at boot time.

Good luck.
Debian and mythTV with two HD-3000s.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Mapache

My system:

Debian unstable with Kernel 2.6.6 compiled from source.
Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra Platinum, which is PCI 2.2.
1.9 MHz AMD Atlon XP 2600+ with 512K L2 Cache.
512MB Memory.
Two HD-3000 cards.
NVIDA GeForce2 GTS.

Prior to installing the HD-3000 cards, this system had a HD-2000 card with a patched 2.6.6 kernel. The HD-2000 card worked flawlessly for the past four months. I used the following kernel patch from http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads.

2.6.6-kernel-patch-rev-1.3.tar.gz : 85062b3f07b5fb1e6bc3f520b26fc1c2 (md5sum)

The following steps got the HD-3000s to work.

1) Download the latest modules for 2.6 kernels from http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads

FedoraCore2-Kernel-2.6-systems.tar.gz : 1d2c3fd8d1f0e293c1ad2bd2e420bb96 (md5sum)

2) Extract and compile the module source.

$ tar xvzf FedoraCore2-Kernel-2.6-systems.tar.gz
$ cd FedoraCore2-Kernel-2.6-systems
$ make
$ su -
# make install-HD3000

3) Download and extract the latest tools from http://www.pchdtv.com/downloads.

tools-2.6-a.tar.gz : 840ca3293b861886e8c15244c2cfdbe0 (md5sum)

$ tar xvzf tools-2.6-a.tar.gz

4) Reboot.

5) From the tools directory (I did not bother to recompile the tools or install them in /usr/bin):

Quote:

$./dtvscan /dev/dtv

channel = 50
channel = 51
# CHANNEL 51 ###### signal = 70
PAT found ckets
entry { packets
majorchannelnumber = 50;
minorchannelnumber = 1;
stationchannel = 51;
stationidentifier = WBDC DT;
programnumber = 2;
disabled = 0;
};
channel = 52
channel = 53

$./dtvsignal /dev/dtv 51

main: argc 3 argv[1] /dev/dtv
channel 51
freq*16 = 11092
main: ioctl 1 rtn 0
main: ioctl 2 rtn 0
dtvsignal ver 0.2 - by Jack Kelliher (c) 2002
channel = 51 freq*16 = 11092
Signal: | . : . | .____:____.____|
Signal: 077 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

After that both cards worked fine.

Quote:

# lspci
0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia video controller:
Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05)
0000:00:0b.2 Multimedia controller:
Conexant: Unknown device 8802 (rev 05)
0000:00:0c.0 Multimedia video controller:
Conexant Winfast TV2000 XP (rev 05)
0000:00:0c.2 Multimedia controller:
Conexant: Unknown device 8802 (rev 05)

MythTV can record from both cards simultaneously, and the picture in picture feature tunes separate channels while watching live TV. Playback of 1088i files is a bit jumpy using mythTV, but Xine (unmodified) plays the .nuv files smoothly. I am not sure how stable the new setup is, but it has recored several hours of ATSC shows with out a problem. I do get the following error, but it does not seem to affect the recorded shows.

Quote:

# cat /proc/kmsg
<7>cx8800[1]: AUD_STATUS: 0x8f72 [mono/no pilot] ctl=BTSC_AUTO_STEREO
<7>cx8800[0]: AUD_STATUS: 0xf2b2 [mono/no pilot] ctl=BTSC_AUTO_STEREO

pcHDTV 3000 and mythTV (good experience)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics