pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HDTV programming and listings -> Toronto
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Toronto
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:56 pm Reply with quote
geekything

Anyone else in Toronto? I'm almost spitting distance from the CN Tower, so can't wait to get my HD3000 card and see what I can pickup Wink

-marc
Re: Toronto
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:10 pm Reply with quote
csmillie

I'm also in Toronto, any luck with OTA or Rogers? I just noticed that Rogers changed their HDTV pricing/packages so that there are now a number of base/free HDTV channels. Maybe these will be accessible with the HD3000 and general ATSC decoding....

Thanks,

Colin[/quote]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:42 am Reply with quote
CityK

Yep Toronto bound too,

I have never seen anything definitive in regards to Rogers:

The info gleaned from a cursory search on digitalhomeCanada (done a couple of months ago) suggested that Rogers is strickly using QAM256, but that all the signals are encrypted...however, I notice that dhc tends to "tow the company line", so I wouldn't chalk this up as being the final word.

On AVS, I've seen several people ask if Rogers was broadcasting in the clear (usually in regards to gaining reception via Dvico's Fusion III QAM), but no one has ever provided an answer. Same thing on htpcnews.

As for OTA in TO, things are looking pretty good last time I checked. A good (outdoor?) antenna should be able to pick up ~5 Buffalo area stations, and around 5 Toronto signals should be on the air now, or sometime very soon, too. Some links to more info:

HDTV in Canada forum
AVS Toronto thread
AVS Buffalo thread
Some guys slightly dated list
AVS programing guide
Yonge & Davisville
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote
babazoid

Hey guys.

I'm in Toronto at Young & Davisville. Google Maps says that I'm 7.8km away from the CN Tower.

I recently set up a Gentoo system for Myth, got everything working -- but I don't recieve ANY STATIONS!

I live in a high rise apartment building, on the 2nd floor. My apartment building's balconies face West/East and I am about 1/2 way in the middle of the building, so I knew getting signal would be tough. However with people reporting that they have recieved all the local stations with a Radio Shack crap-tenna on the couch in Mississauga I really figured that I'd get a few stations.

I've spent hours with antenna placement and can't seem to figure anything out. I've manage to get CFTO very sporadically, it cuts out a lot... It's not reliable whatsoever.

Also, I've attempted to hook up my Rogers cable to see if I can tune any QAM channels. I can't seem to recieve any of those either, which almost makes me think something fishy is going on. I mean, there should at least be a couple on there that I can receive.. at least according to several threads I've read in other places.

If anyone has any insight on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Mark
Toronto
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HDTV programming and listings