pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Inadequate hardware or misconfigured linux for HD3000?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Inadequate hardware or misconfigured linux for HD3000?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
spitfire

I've been playing around with the HD3000 for about a week now and overall have had a fairly positive experience with it. However, I am now to the point where everything is "working" but not working as well as I'd hope and I am hoping the someone might be able to suggest which fork in the road I should take.

I am running the HD3000 on a Gentoo 2.6.8 Kernel.
Athlon XP 2000+
512 MB RAM
NVidia Ti4600
KT266A Chipset <--Not sure this is up to the job
Onboard CMedia Audio <--Not sure this is up to the job either

First off I am having trouble with dvstream.
Using the above hardware I get a continous stream of errors such as:
Code:
Lost sync at input offset XXXXXX
Achieved sync after 754 bytes

And from reading through past topics on the subject it seems like this shouldn't happen if UDMA is enabled which it is according to
Code:
hdparm /dev/hda

I've heard of past issues with the VIA 686B, could this just be the result of a junky chipset that perhaps an external PCI controller would resolve? However, when all is said and done, I can play back the recorded file on my Windows box with no problems or dropped frames. getatsc doesn't report any errors when recording.

Second is issues with xine-hd. I can play HDTV with audio, but it's like every other second there is this one second pause, then it will play for a second, then pause and so on. When I do /.configure on xine-lib it reports that the xvmc plugins are in place. Executing
Code:
xine -V xv dtv://
reports that xine is using xvmc and running xine-check reports good across the board. So does that mean my Athlon XP is just too weak even with NVidia's hardware decoding?

Third is MythTV. I can get it to play HDTV which behaves similarly to xine, except that I have to do a couple of odd things first. I have to set the channel I want Myth to tune to first, start mythbackend, execute "dtvsignal /dev/dtv 38", Ctrl-C and then hurry and launch mythfrontend. If I don't do this then mythbackend will crap out with a warning that the signal is too low after 10500 milliseconds. At this point I have to kill mythbackend because it's dead in the water. It's almost like if I don't run dtvsignal first, then myth doesn't give the tuner enough time to ramp up the signal. It certainly isn't waiting 10500 milliseconds. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am using the Gentoo 0.16 build. Perhaps I need to go to CVS for this one?

So, anyway, I would really appreciate any suggestions. I am hoping that perhaps I am just missing a few configuration tweaks, but if new/better hardware is required then I'll bite the bullet. I'd just prefer to have an idea first.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spitfire on Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Re: Crappy hardware or misconfigured linux for HD3000?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
manyoso

spitfire wrote:
Third is MythTV. I can get it to play HDTV which behaves similarly to xine, except that I have to do a couple of odd things first. I have to set the channel I want Myth to tune to first, start mythbackend, execute "dtvsignal /dev/dtv 38", Ctrl-C and then hurry and launch mythfrontend. If I don't do this then mythbackend will crap out with a warning that the signal is too low after 10500 milliseconds. At this point I have to kill mythbackend because it's dead in the water. It's almost like if I don't run dtvsignal first, then myth doesn't give the tuner enough time to ramp up the signal. It certainly isn't waiting 10500 milliseconds. Has anyone else seen this issue? I am using the Gentoo 0.16 build. Perhaps I need to go to CVS for this one?

I might have an idea for this aspect of your problem... (Disclaimer: I am using MythTV from cvs)

If you go into your mythfrontend->utilities setup->setup->TV settings->General (page 2) ... you should find settings for "Time limit for ATSC signal lock" and "ATSC signal threshhold"

I believe you should set your threshhold lower and increase the amount of time it is allowed to try ATSC signal lock.

Hope that helps.
Re: Crappy hardware or misconfigured linux for HD3000?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:49 pm Reply with quote
spitfire

manyoso wrote:

I might have an idea for this aspect of your problem... (Disclaimer: I am using MythTV from cvs)

If you go into your mythfrontend->utilities setup->setup->TV settings->General (page 2) ... you should find settings for "Time limit for ATSC signal lock" and "ATSC signal threshhold"

I believe you should set your threshhold lower and increase the amount of time it is allowed to try ATSC signal lock.

Hope that helps.

Thanks, for the reply. I tried as you suggested. I already had the Time limit for ATSC signal lock maxed out. Actually, I had it set to 10500 at one point, but when I went back in, it maxed it out at 10000 and wouldn't let me move it beyond that anymore. Strange. I also tried lowering the ATSC signal threshhold but didn't notice any change. So I don't think that setting is working in the version I have. Like before if I don't run dtvsignal first it says the signal is only at 22% and dies whereas dtvsignal reports 85%. And the failure is almost immediate so it certainly isn't waiting 10 seconds. Anyway, as soon as my Gentoo 2004.3 update finishes I'll give the CVS version a whirl.
same problem
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:24 pm Reply with quote
mspice

You didn't mention what program is giving you that error but I am getting that error over and over from dtvstream. I have a high signal and it is with all stations Sad
Re: same problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:13 am Reply with quote

mspice wrote:
You didn't mention what program is giving you that error but I am getting that error over and over from dtvstream. I have a high signal and it is with all stations Sad

Sorry I misspelled "dvstream" instead of "dtvstream". But yes, I saw your other thread post and I am getting the same error as you, i.e.

Code:
Lost sync at input offset 48705536
Achieved sync after 752 bytes.

I have not been able to determine yet what's causing it. And like you, the stream plays fine afterwards. I've been planning to put in another hard drive to see if that helps, but haven't had time yet because I've been messing around trying to get mythtv to work which leads to my next topic.

I've successfully been able to build mythtv from CVS, however, I am still getting this odd error:
Code:
2004-11-18 07:43:12.710 Maximum signal strength detected: 22% after 10000 msec wait
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 Signal level too low?
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 Tuning Error -- aborting recording
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 TVRec: Recording Prematurely Stopped

As before if I preset to tune to "40"' and then run "dtvsignal /dev/dtv 40" and then run mythfrontend, it doesn't matter how long I wait before clicking "Watch TV" it will work and mythfrontend will remain responsive as long as I don't change the channel. If I don't do as above, mythfront end with immediately lock up and the backend will report the above error. I have adjusted the values in Mythfrontend-> Utilities-> Setup-> Setup-> TV Settings ->General as suggested. I have decreased the "ATSC Signal Threshold" to it's lowest value of 50 and increased the "Time limit for ATSC signal lock" to it's maximum value of 10000 so I'm not sure what else to try. dtvsignal reports 85% when it's run. Is the HD-3000 going into some kind of sleep mode that mythtv doesn't know how to wake it up from?
Re: same problem
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:18 am Reply with quote
spitfire

Anonymous wrote:
mspice wrote:

Sorry I misspelled "dvstream" instead of "dtvstream". But yes, I saw your other thread post and I am getting the same error as you, i.e.

Code:
Lost sync at input offset 48705536
Achieved sync after 752 bytes.

I have not been able to determine yet what's causing it. And like you, the stream plays fine afterwards. I've been planning to put in another hard drive to see if that helps, but haven't had time yet because I've been messing around trying to get mythtv to work which leads to my next topic.

I've successfully been able to build mythtv from CVS, however, I am still getting this odd error:
Code:
2004-11-18 07:43:12.710 Maximum signal strength detected: 22% after 10000 msec wait
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 Signal level too low?
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 Tuning Error -- aborting recording
2004-11-18 07:43:12.711 TVRec: Recording Prematurely Stopped

As before if I preset to tune to "40"' and then run "dtvsignal /dev/dtv 40" and then run mythfrontend, it doesn't matter how long I wait before clicking "Watch TV" it will work and mythfrontend will remain responsive as long as I don't change the channel. If I don't do as above, mythfront end with immediately lock up and the backend will report the above error. I have adjusted the values in Mythfrontend-> Utilities-> Setup-> Setup-> TV Settings ->General as suggested. I have decreased the "ATSC Signal Threshold" to it's lowest value of 50 and increased the "Time limit for ATSC signal lock" to it's maximum value of 10000 so I'm not sure what else to try. dtvsignal reports 85% when it's run. Is the HD-3000 going into some kind of sleep mode that mythtv doesn't know how to wake it up from?

Woops, forgot to login... Embarassed
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
spitfire

Ah, so it's a driver problem. Just saw this on the mythtv-users mail list from someone named Brandon Beattie that
Quote:
New drivers have been released for the HD-3000 card. Some cards took
slightly longer to initialize and the driver tried to communicate before
it was ready. The new HD-3000 driver fixes this problem. If you had
problems with the card before, it should be fine now.

I'm guessing that's what my problem is. Although the Fedora Core driver is still at 1.0 on the pchdtv downloads page...oh well, I'll figure it out eventually...is it obvious yet that I'm new around here? Wink
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

Download the new CD from the download page "HD3000-HD2000-CD-rev2.tar.gz(32 bit kernels 64 bit comming soon)"

This file contains the 1.1 version of the drivers. Not sure why they dont offer the 1.1 as a separate download.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:24 pm Reply with quote
spitfire

Arrta wrote:
Download the new CD from the download page "HD3000-HD2000-CD-rev2.tar.gz(32 bit kernels 64 bit comming soon)"

This file contains the 1.1 version of the drivers. Not sure why they dont offer the 1.1 as a separate download.

Oh wow there is a 1.1 driver hiding in there. I don't think it's the one he mentioned as it's still too old, but nice to be more up to date. And as I research it more I don't think it's a driver issue after all as I am seeing reports of the older HD2000 having the same problems with Myth as I look through the mailing list archives.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

too old?

Not really.. the file is dated 11/8
his message is dated today11/18.. thats only 10 days. He could be meaning this one unless there are people developing drivers somewhere else.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:40 pm Reply with quote
spitfire

Arrta wrote:
too old?

Not really.. the file is dated 11/8
his message is dated today11/18.. thats only 10 days. He could be meaning this one unless there are people developing drivers somewhere else.

Oh, you're probably right. There's so many different lists out there I guess it's not an unreasonable for announcements of new drivers to lag a few days between them.
Inadequate hardware or misconfigured linux for HD3000?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics