pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD-3000 on 4:3 800x600 with mplayer
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000 on 4:3 800x600 with mplayer
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
mspice

I've successfully installed and used my new HD-3000 with FC3 using getatsc and mplayer. I will eventually try MythTV and continue troubleshooting Xine-HD, but for now lets assume that I want to use mplayer only.

(1) displaying HDTV on 4:3 with mplayer

I need a convenient way to have it display correctly on my 4:3 800x600 projector. The -fs (fullscreen) option combined with -monitoraspect does not seem to work. Many of the screems are 16:9 streams with black bars on the sides because the contect is only 4:3. For some reason mplayer automatically crops off the right side bar which effectively right justifies the image. Additionally, it looks squished.

(2) De-Interlacing / telecine with mplayer

With 1080i streams I get all kinds of motion artifacts that I assume is either interlacing and/or telecine. I've tried a few filters to do this and none of them seem to completely fix it. Additionally, most (maybe all of them) crash when I am using -vo xvmc (and the -vc that you have to use when you use this . .. I think it is ffmpeg12something). What do you all use? Is there a way to have it auto detect if it needs de-interlacing or telecine and have it only do them if it needs them? If not, is there an app that can probe them so that I can write my own script to pass mplayer the correct options?

Code:
Here are some options I tried:
-vf halfpack (if I put =0 or =1 it crashes but still seems to do something without arguments)
-vf lavcdeint
-vf pp=lb

3. audio / video sync problems

I'm having audio/video sync issues. It is normally really off in the first few seconds and appears to get better on most channels. On some channels, it never gets better. I'm using alsa and hwac3 passthrough (SPDIF) digitally to my receiver (-ao alsa -ac hwac3, a52,). I have the same issues whether I am playing live or recorded.

Code:

I use the following to play live tv:
mplayer -tsprog 1 -ao alsa -ac hwac3,a52, -vf (insert deinterlace here) -cache 8192 /dev/dtv

Sometimes I include the following also to use the XvMC.  It uses 30% CPU instead of 90% on my AMD XP 2600+
-vo xvmc -vf ffmpeg12whatever

Thanks,
Michael
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Neekofab

For deinterlace give -vf pullup,pp=md a whirl, looks great to me, (not xvmc friendly)

Also xvmc seems kinda poopie so far to me, it limits what you can do with the video (like deinterlace) as you can't seem to do postprocessing. also it seems to be a bit buggy (at least with nvidia's). On a AMD xp2000 with xvmc I get about 60% cpu usage, but can't do mplayer postprocessing. Dropping the xvmc shoves me right up to 100% (or damn close) but allows me to deinterlace .

For audio sync with mplayer & alsa cat /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq and make sure you get 1024 as a response.

Also worth a shot it to recompile a Stock kernel without all the enterprise level who-hah stuff that redhat likes to bundle into fedora.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:27 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

The xvmc support in mplayer doesn't support deinterlacing at all as far as I can tell, although it's easy to change a flag in one PutSurface call to do cheap onefield deinterlacing.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quote
brownraccoon

Fixing the black bars on 4:3 content is easy if you can use the "-vf crop" option. If the bars are black, you can just run "-vf cropdetect" and mplayer will automatically find the right settings and print out the appropiate crop line. The crop function does not work with xvmc, unfortunately.

Deinterlacing is more difficult. Unless you computer is powerful enough to deinterlace a hd signal, you need to have it scaled to a resolution where the interlacing doesn't cause bad artifacts. While experimenting, I noticed that the interlacing artifacts on 1080i were particularly bad on 800x600 and 1024x768. Earlier in the forum, another poster suggested to run your display at 960x540. I have tried this and it works quite well. There are no interlacing artifacts and it works well with xvmc. With mplayer you need to pass the option "-monitoraspect 1.7777" or whatever the option is to get the image to scale properly.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I think running mplayer at 960x540 is a lot like using onefield deinterlacing. You're really halving the vertical resolution which completely eliminates interlacing, turning it into something like a 540p stream. The loss of vertical resolution isn't that bad on my 1366x768 monitor but the loss of horizontal resolution is definitely noticible. The loss eliminates some artifacts caused by onefield deinterlacing like staircasing in diagonal lines but it softens the image too much for me. That's why I've been using the PutSurface hack instead.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quote
brownraccoon

You can gain the benefits of running your display at 960x540 while still running at a standard resolution. Try "-monitoraspect 1.7777 -screenw 960 -screenh 540" This will scale the image to 960x540 and place it in the upper left corner. For an 800x600 display, you can try "-monitoraspect 1.7777 -screenw 800 -screenh 540" . The first command fwill crop the right side of the image at a resolution of 800x600. The second command will distort the aspect radio slightly, but the entire image will be in view.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:48 pm Reply with quote
kb7oeb

You can also try -vf field=0 , it just drops it down to 540p
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:19 pm Reply with quote
kb7oeb

You can use e to zoom the picture in and crop off the sides, w zooms out.
HD-3000 on 4:3 800x600 with mplayer
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics