pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Which distro for HD3000? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Which distro for HD3000?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:48 pm Reply with quote
m0bilitee

For evaluation purposes, which Distro is the most trouble free? Fedora Core 2?

My machine is Gentoo, which is a boatload of problems, and I'm wondering if just to get this thing to do something I use something like Fedora. Can anyone validate my guess?

Thanks!

m0b
Re: Which distro for HD3000?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

m0bilitee wrote:
For evaluation purposes, which Distro is the most trouble free? Fedora Core 2?

My machine is Gentoo, which is a boatload of problems, and I'm wondering if just to get this thing to do something I use something like Fedora. Can anyone validate my guess?

Thanks!

m0b

No

people are reporting similar problems no matter the distro

Gentoo works fine. read my replies in the other thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quote
m0bilitee

Arrta wrote:

I've done the card rotate tango (3 slots), about 3 different kernels (2.6.9-r1, 2.6.7 vanilla, 2.6.7 patched with HD2000 patches). All cases the driver modules load fine, and signal is zero. I'm not having any luck. Crying or Very sad
I'm using Fedora Core 3
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
mspice

I'm using Fedora Core 3 stock without many problems. I'm able to watch all the channels with mplayer and record with both getatsc (recording raw .ts files) and dtvstream (to record the extracted subchannel .m2t stream).

Driver loads fine, everything works as expected. The dtvstream app spits out weird messages (see this thread) that I am currently ignoring and piping to /dev/null. The error messages are a bit worrisome but don't appear to have a negative effect. I've also used transcode and mencoder to convert recorded .m2t files to DIVX .avi files.

I've got an AMD 2600+, Asus K7V8X-X MB, 512MB Ram, and Nvidia FX 5200 128. 1080i streams are playable with 85-95% CPU usage but I don't have enough CPU to deinterlace for my projector. I'm upgrading to a 3200+ (actually a 2500+ "barton" clocked at 2200Mhz). I'm able to play and deinterlace on my other 3200+ equiv machine.

Quote:

I've done the card rotate tango (3 slots), about 3 different kernels (2.6.9-r1, 2.6.7 vanilla, 2.6.7 patched with HD2000 patches). All cases the driver modules load fine, and signal is zero. I'm not having any luck. Crying or Very sad

Perhaps you have a hardware issue?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

m0bilitee wrote:
Arrta wrote:

What are you using for an antenna? How far are you from a broadcast tower?
Re: I'm using Fedora Core 3
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:32 am Reply with quote
m0bilitee

mspice wrote:

Perhaps you have a hardware issue?

Boy, I don't think so on the PC side. The box is an AMD2500+ clocked at 2.2 (sound familiar?) in an Abit AN7 (nforce2). I'm using an IDE drive, no SATA here at the moment. Video is a Geforce4 MX, but I'm not getting a signal so I'm not near the "is it big enough question." The box is rock solid stable and has been for a while, I just added the card in.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:36 am Reply with quote
m0bilitee

Arrta wrote:

What are you using for an antenna? How far are you from a broadcast tower?

Antenna is a Winegard HD-1000, about a 12db Gain directional that I'm hopefully pointing in the right direction. My distance from the antenna is about 20 miles, and I have another antenna in the opposite direction also at 20 miles. The signal doesn't pop up so much as a click by moving the antenna around.

As you suggested, another distro made no difference. I popped Fedora Core 3 onto a separate disc (it's only 20 minutes to install that with a minimal install, I was impressed), and got pretty much the same results as with Gentoo 2.6.x. I'm a bit dumbfounded--this box seems to be refusing to receive a signal.

I have another box which is an AMD64 based Via machine (Abit K8Pro 1.1) and I >could< put the card in there, but I think I'm in for even more headaches if I start messing around with that machine. It's running Gentoo as well when it's under Linux (triple boot with XP and XP 64). I'd rather not add it into that mashup. Smile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:06 am Reply with quote
Arrta

m0bilitee wrote:

Antenna is a Winegard HD-1000, about a 12db Gain directional that I'm hopefully pointing in the right direction. My distance from the antenna is about 20 miles, and I have another antenna in the opposite direction also at 20 miles. The signal doesn't pop up so much as a click by moving the antenna around.

Verify that information.
According to http://www.winegard.com/ they dont have a hd1000 antenna and a google search pulls up no data either.

I wanted to know your antenna to check the distance rating on it.
I would recommend you check antennaweb.org for hd signals in your area and which antenna code they recommend for your area.
I tried one of them interior antennas and my signal didn't improve at all. Then again I'm about 30 miles from the closest signal and the minimum recommended exterior antenna was red - Medium Directional with the max being violet - Large Directional w/Pre-Amp

I have a Terk TV38 on the way. Hoping that helps me.. =p
a few things
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:44 am Reply with quote
mspice

Antenna position matters A LOT for me. To get a good signal I had to fire up dtvsignal and then go up in the attic and rotate my antenna around. If I had it pointed slightly in the wrong direction then some of the channels would completely drop out (0%). I had to find a good position where I got close to 90% on all channels. I have a Channel Master 4228 which, according to hdtvprimer, is one of the best ($40 +shipping).

There is a weird init proceedure that I have to follow. Also, I'm using the drivers off the CD that it came with. When I turn the PC on I immediately have to become root and run minstall to make the /dev devices. It may just be chance but if I don't log in, become root, run minstall, and fire up dtvsignal right away then I get no signals at all. i have to reboot and try again. Once I get a signal I can leave the machine on as long as I want and it works fine.

Lastly, I would like to say that when I say "works fine" I mean I am able to watch TV and record satisfactory for my needs. I still am geetting A/V sync issues on one channel, cannot deinterlace without maxing out my CPU, and dtvstream is giving errors that don't seem to prevent it from recording. These are all addressed in different threads.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:13 am Reply with quote
m0bilitee

Arrta wrote:

Verify that information.
According to http://www.winegard.com/ they dont have a hd1000 antenna and a google search pulls up no data either.

Whoops, I typed too fast. It's a SS-1000-the "square shooter." I'm currently messing with it inside my home with a clear shot out the window towards 1 of the above mentioned towers, even though is is more of an outdoor antenna. Once I can prove this works, I will figure out how to mount it outside.
Re: a few things
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:16 am Reply with quote
m0bilitee

mspice wrote:
Antenna position matters A LOT for me. To get a good signal I had to fire up dtvsignal and then go up in the attic and rotate my antenna around. If I had it pointed slightly in the wrong direction then some of the channels would completely drop out (0%). I had to find a good position where I got close to 90% on all channels.

Interesting. I might be so off I'm just not seeing anything then.

My question is like this (and I'm an OTA HTDV newbie, BTW): Wouldn't the signal bounce just a few percent due to noise on running the dtsignal app?

Quote:
There is a weird init proceedure that I have to follow. Also, I'm using the drivers off the CD that it came with. When I turn the PC on I immediately have to become root and run minstall to make the /dev devices. It may just be chance but if I don't log in, become root, run minstall, and fire up dtvsignal right away then I get no signals at all. i have to reboot and try again. Once I get a signal I can leave the machine on as long as I want and it works fine.

Interesting.

Quote:
Lastly, I would like to say that when I say "works fine" I mean I am able to watch TV and record satisfactory for my needs. I still am geetting A/V sync issues on one channel, cannot deinterlace without maxing out my CPU, and dtvstream is giving errors that don't seem to prevent it from recording. These are all addressed in different threads.

Yes, I've read all of those. I wish I was lucky enough to have those problems. Very Happy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

m0b,

I found a comment on your antenna.

"Several people (including myself) have seen press on this antenna and have wonder if it worked. The short answer is yes, but no better than the reviewers home-made antennas." Embarassed
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:27 pm Reply with quote
m0bilitee

Arrta wrote:
m0b,

I found a comment on your antenna.

"Several people (including myself) have seen press on this antenna and have wonder if it worked. The short answer is yes, but no better than the reviewers home-made antennas." Embarassed

doh! It's not mine, but lent to me by a friend who was using it with success in his bedroom. He stopped using it because he put in a HD DSS box and didn't need it for the time being.

I'll look into using something else. At 20 miles out, I think lots of stuff would work. Smile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Arrta

Was he closer to the broadcasters?
antenna
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quote
clayton

[quote="m0bilitee"]
Arrta wrote:

I'll look into using something else. At 20 miles out, I think lots of stuff would work. Smile

I live about 16 miles from a group of antennas, and I've got a Channel Master 4221 UHF-only (which is DTV range). It works very well. The NTSC stations come in like cable reception, and the digital signals are all up around 90% on dtvsignal. It typically goes for about $25 + tax/shipping.

http://www.channelmaster.com/pages/u1.htm

Clayton
Which distro for HD3000?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics