pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD-3000 and Hauppauge PVR-250
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000 and Hauppauge PVR-250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
dcarr178

I am thoroughly confused about how to get my HD-3000 and my Hauppauge PVR-250 working in the same box. I"m running Fedora Core 2 and kernel-2.6.8-1.521 on a Gigabyte GA-8IG1000MK motherboard with an Intel Pentium 4/3.2 GHz cpu, 1GB ram, and Nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 AGP video card. I downloaded the latest drivers from pcHDTV and am currently running FedoraCore2-HD3000-driver-rev-1.1.

I'm to the point where Linux is working great, my video card drivers are working, and I can play DVDs. However, neither tuner card is working. I've followed the instructions on how to install/configure the PVR-250 card and the instructions on how to install/configure the HD-3000 card but it seems like the instructions are contradictory at times and I wonder if certain steps I take for one card are causing the other card drivers to break.

Specific questions:

- Does anybody have both cards installed and working and would you be willing to offer advice/config file examples?

- I'm thoroughly confused about the differences between v4l, v4l1, videodev, cx8800, bttv, and ivtv. Which card needs which driver? I don't know how char-major-81 is different from char-major-81-0 or char-major-81-1 or what order I should be loading drivers. I suspect my /etc/modprobe.conf is all screwed up.

- tuner.h was causing a seg fault every time I ran depmod -a so I deleted it. Is it important? How can I get it back to the orig? Any idea on what might have caused it to begin seg faulting?

- Does anyone have opinions/suggestions about where each card should be installed (which pci slot). I've tried the "tango" to see if it fixes anything but no luck.

- I'd be very interested in any kernel patches, modprobe.conf examples or any other hints.

Thanks
Re: HD-3000 and Hauppauge PVR-250
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quote
onyxsoft

dcarr178 wrote:
- Does anybody have both cards installed and working and would you be willing to offer advice/config file examples?

I don't have my HD3000 yet, but hope to within the week. At that point I could probably have further.
Quote:

- I'm thoroughly confused about the differences between v4l, v4l1, videodev, cx8800, bttv, and ivtv. Which card needs which driver? I don't know how char-major-81 is different from char-major-81-0 or char-major-81-1 or what order I should be loading drivers. I suspect my /etc/modprobe.conf is all screwed up.

v4l is the video4linux subsystem. HD2000=bttv, HD3000=cx88, PVR-250=ivtv

With my HD2000 I have:
Code:

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias char-major-81-3 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_first_minor=1

I would imagine for the HD3000 that you would change the bttv to cx88

Quote:

- tuner.h was causing a seg fault every time I ran depmod -a so I deleted it. Is it important? How can I get it back to the orig? Any idea on what might have caused it to begin seg faulting?

- Does anyone have opinions/suggestions about where each card should be installed (which pci slot). I've tried the "tango" to see if it fixes anything but no luck.

Shouldn't matter as long as they are bus mastering slots.

Quote:

- I'd be very interested in any kernel patches, modprobe.conf examples or any other hints.

Hopefully someone else that already has one setup can help you with more detail. I will be able to post more detailed info as soon as I receive my card and have time to work on it.

--
David
HD-3000 and Hauppauge PVR-250
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics