pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Athlon 64
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Athlon 64
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:47 am Reply with quote
rab45

Will the HD 3000 work in an Athlon 64-based system? The specs say an Intel processor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:55 am Reply with quote
rab45

The reason I posted the previous message: I can't boot my system with the HD 3000 card inserted in a pci slot. The system has an Athlon 3.5 64-bit cpu with 1gb of memory and a 160mb hard drive. It works without the card inserted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:41 pm Reply with quote
largo

I put an HD 3000 in and Athlon 64 (3000 I think) and it works for me. Motherboard is a FIC something or other, running 32 bit version of Fedora Core 2.

Bill
Re: Works for me
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
rab45

largo wrote:
I put an HD 3000 in and Athlon 64 (3000 I think) and it works for me. Motherboard is a FIC something or other, running 32 bit version of Fedora Core 2.

Bill

I'm running the 64-bit version of FC2. I don't think the 64-bit version of FC2 is the problem given I can't get the system to show the bios screen. But it's good to know it's not a compatibility problem with the Athlon 64.

I was able to get my hands on an Intel Pentium system (II or III I don't know off hand) running at 800 mhz (or is it ghz?). I believe the minimum requirement is 1200. But the machine boots into FC2 and I can get ntsc TV using tvtime and xawtv (although now I'm having problems with xawtv). But I can tune in local analog TV stations.

I installed the tools like dtvscan and dtvsignal but I cannot get these to do much. They don't pick up any of the six nearby digital stations. xawtv stopped working (sound but no picture) after I installed the tools and compiled xine-hd.

It took a long time to configure, make, and make install xine-hd. When I was done thre were no error messages that I could see but I cannot find a xine-hd to execute.

So ether the card works and I just am not doing something right or maybe the digital part of the card is not working. When I told support that I could not boot my machine with the card in they immediately said that they were sending a new card with a return mailer for the first card. I think that's great - I just hope it's not something I'm doing wrong.

BTW, the motherboard for the Athlon 64 system is an AOPEN microATX. The system has been working fine since I built it 2 months ago.

Rick B.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
rab45

After reading the documentation and making sure I killed xawtv after each crash, I was able to get getatsc, dtvsignal, and dtvscan to work. I used commands similar to the following to watch dtv:

> getatsc /dev/dtv 42-2 | nice --100 xine -f -g stdin:/

This works about 70% of the time so long as I'm not trying to watch HD. I could not get xine-hd to work but this seems to work OK. So the card is not defective (the Athlon 64 system would not boot). This Intel system is just not powerfull enough to handle the needed processing. The minimum spec says 1.2Ghz and this system is only 0.8GHz.

I'm going to try the card in the Athlon 64 system again to see if it will boot. If not I will have to upgrade the 0.8GHz system. I imagine a Pentium 4 system and a fast hard drive should work nicely.

BTW, using getatsc to save to disk and then playing the file back using xine causes a lot of frame dropping, even though piping the feed directly to xine can work in limited cases. I guess this is due to a relatively slow hard drive and/or data transfer from the hard drive.

Rick B.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics