pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> HD-3000: How to watch/record normal NTSC video in MythTV?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
HD-3000: How to watch/record normal NTSC video in MythTV?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:42 am Reply with quote
Niz

I'm having no luck watching/recording plain old analog NTSC cable in mythTV with my HD-3000. TvTime displays NTSC channels fine with it, so I know the card is working, but with mythTv I get the following messages from the backend:

2004-11-25 02:23:04 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
2004-11-25 02:23:04 Maximum signal strength detected: 100% after 0 msec wait
2004-11-25 02:23:19 Couldn't read data from the capture card in 15 seconds. Game over, man.
2004-11-25 02:23:29 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None

And from the frontend I get:

2004-11-25 02:23:04 Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543 (try 1 of 2)
2004-11-25 02:23:04 Using protocol version 8
2004-11-25 02:23:09 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2004-11-25 02:23:14 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2004-11-25 02:23:19 taking too long to be allowed to read..
2004-11-25 02:23:21 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available, waiting again...
2004-11-25 02:23:23 Waited 2 seconds for data to become available, waiting again...
and just keeps repeating

Mythtvsetup is set to use PCdtv ATSC capture card on /dev/video0. I've also tried most alternative capture card config combinations such as using /dev/video32 and/or setting it to a Standard V4L capture card instead but that just results in different kinds of errors.

any ideas guys, or is it just not possible for some reason?

Thanks in advance!

Niz.
Re: HD-3000: How to watch/record normal NTSC video in MythTV
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:59 pm Reply with quote
TedKotz

To do NTSC I've been working with setting it up as a standard V4l tuner and /dev/video0 . I had to modify the code for mythtv in order to get video to work. in mythtv-0.16/libs/libmythtv/NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp I made the following change to line ~1307:
uint8_t *cb_plane = y_plane + w * h;
uint8_t *cr_plane = cr_plane + w * h / 4;
uint8_t *src = buffers[frame];
to:
uint8_t *cb_plane = y_plane + w * h;
uint8_t *cr_plane = cb_plane + w * h / 4;
uint8_t *src = buffers[frame];

This prevented a segmentation fault in the backend.

Now that I have video and it's not seg faulting I'm trying to get audio. Nothing is coming from the tuner card for my sound card to capture.
solved my audio problem.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quote
TedKotz

It seems that mythtv wasn't telling the card to unmute audio in the v4l2 path I submitted the following to mythtv it isn't very clean, but it works.
I'm using a pchdtv HD-3000 card in analog capture mode. I found that the audio
wasn't being unmuted. There seems to be no code for this so I added the
following to NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp StartRecording()(0.16) or Open()(cvs):
if (usingv4l2)
{
/* ADDITION */
struct v4l2_control vc;

memset(&vc, 0, sizeof(vc));

vc.id=V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE;
vc.value=0;

if (ioctl(fd, VIDIOC_S_CTRL, &vc) < 0)
perror("VIDIOC_S_CTRL:V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE");

/* END ADDITION */

if (vcap.card[0] == 'B' && vcap.card[1] == 'T' &&
vcap.card[2] == '8' && vcap.card[4] == '8')
correct_bttv = true;

if (QString("cx8800") == QString((char *)vcap.driver))
{
channelfd = open(videodevice.ascii(), O_RDWR);
if (channelfd < 0)
{
cerr << "Can't open video device: " <<
videodevice << endl;
perror("open video:");
KillChildren();
return;
}

inpixfmt = FMT_NONE;
InitFilters();
DoV4L2();
return;
}

now I'm working on a problem where what looks like vbi data is visible in the image as a set of black and white lines at the top of the picture.
Re: solved my audio problem.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:16 pm Reply with quote

TedKotz wrote:
now I'm working on a problem where what looks like vbi data is visible in the image as a set of black and white lines at the top of the picture.

Hi-

Have you made any progress on this? It's not so much that I see the VBI data, it's that VBI data isn't being parsed into CC correctly. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
--Quentin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:55 pm Reply with quote

What's the status on the pcHDTV drivers? There hasn't been an update in 5 weeks and the 1.6 driver doesn't work with MythTV nor does digital audio capture.
Driver Status
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

We have been focusing on getting our drivers in sync with the video4linux drivers. The video4linux driver currently recommends using the DVB API for digital broadcast siganls. Therefore, support for the HD3000 card under the DVB API has just been included in the video4linux CVS snapshots. MythTV has support for the DVB API in curent form so if you have a recent kernel (2.6.10 recommended but 2.6.9 can be coaxed into working) you should consider using the new DVB support.

Also by using the latest video4linux you get all the improvements for audio capture made since our 1.6 driver. It should be much better.

Rusty
Re: Driver Status
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:28 pm Reply with quote
CoolerQ

pcHDTV_tech wrote:
Also by using the latest video4linux you get all the improvements for audio capture made since our 1.6 driver. It should be much better.

Hi-

So does that mean then that I should be using the video4linux CVS for my card instead of using the drivers on pchdtv.com?

Thanks,
--Quentin
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

To give you a not so straight answer: that depends.

video4linux lastest CVS doesn't support kernels older than 2.6.x. In kernels older than 2.6.10 you will need to update to the latest dvb-core files to get the ATSC support. If you are looking for improved NTSC performance the video4linux driver has improved greatly. However. the video4linux driver does not have the V4L2 API interface to the digital stream like our current driver. (V4L will not include anything for Digital reception that doesn't conform with the DVB API). Things are in flux right now, but we hope to have ATSC support into Myth quickly.

Hope this didn't confuse you too much... Wink

Rusty
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:58 pm Reply with quote
eagle486

pcHDTV_tech wrote:

video4linux lastest CVS doesn't support kernels older than 2.6.x. In kernels older than 2.6.10 you will need to update to the latest dvb-core files to get the ATSC support. If you are looking for improved NTSC performance the video4linux driver has improved greatly. However. the video4linux driver does not have the V4L2 API interface to the digital stream like our current driver. (V4L will not include anything for Digital reception that doesn't conform with the DVB API). Things are in flux right now, but we hope to have ATSC support into Myth quickly.

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

I'm running debian (sarge) with a custom compiled 2.6.10 kernel.
I can watch NTSC TV with tvtime and xawtv, but I can't record or watch anything with myth. What is currently best way to set things up so myth will record NTSC? I'm using the pre package myth 0.16.

K
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote
pcHDTV_tech

eagle486 wrote:
I can watch NTSC TV with tvtime and xawtv, but I can't record or watch anything with myth. What is currently best way to set things up so myth will record NTSC? I'm using the pre package myth 0.16.

Well first I would get that latest video4linux drivers from http://dl.bytesex.org/cvs-snapshots/ and build and install them. It wants to install everything in /lib/modules/(kernel ver)/v4l2 so you may need to remove your kernel modules that have the same names from /lib/modules/(kernel ver)/kernel/drivers/media/video and the cx88 directory under video. (or just overwrite them, but that can be confusing if you miss one...) make sure the depmod -e got run as root, then modprobe cx8800. See if that helps with getting NTSC into MythTV from the card. Then you can play with updating MythTV to a later version to get the DVB support on the digital side.

That would be my approach. Your mileage may vary...

Rusty
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:57 am Reply with quote
TedKotz

eagle486 wrote:
pcHDTV_tech wrote:

Rusty

Hi Rusty,

K

You also need to use myth 0.17 there were a number of bugfixes from 0.16 that are needed to get mythtv to work with probably and conextant card, but certainly with the HD-3000.

make sure you set it up as a regular v4l card if you want to use the NTSC features.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote

I've been playing with this.

I'm able to watch TV in myth (0.1Cool using the v4l driver, but the colors are off. Myth complains:
"...Couldn't get the color key color, and we need it..."

With mplayer I use:
mplayer -tv driver=v4l2:input=1:adevice=/dev/dsp:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:brightness=60:contrast=25:hue=99:saturation=55:outfmt=yuy2 -vf pp=lb tv://

this fixes the colors.

Any suggestions?

-Tom
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Uh, make that 0.18 not 0.1Cool
HD-3000: How to watch/record normal NTSC video in MythTV?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card