pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Does it work with ATI video card?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Does it work with ATI video card?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:30 pm Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

According to the FAQ, nvidia cards are required for accelleration. I have an ATI 9600 pro card. Will this work or do I have to buy a new video card?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:21 pm Reply with quote
SigTom

Well, I cant say for sure, but I would imgaine that the nvidia mentioned parts of the pchdtv3000 description will only work on nvidia cards. What kinda of CPU do you have? Were you wanting to hand off some of the work to the video card? If so, yes youll need a new card, an nvidia one. Can get a Chaintech FX5200 for ~ $40.00 USD from newegg.com.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:28 am Reply with quote
iwantmyhdtv

SigTom wrote:
Well, I cant say for sure, but I would imgaine that the nvidia mentioned parts of the pchdtv3000 description will only work on nvidia cards. What kinda of CPU do you have? Were you wanting to hand off some of the work to the video card? If so, yes youll need a new card, an nvidia one. Can get a Chaintech FX5200 for ~ $40.00 USD from newegg.com.

It's an Athlon 64 3400+ (newcastle core). I don't have it yet, I'm expecting it to arrive any day now. But the ATI 9600 pro is a pretty modern card. Hard to imagine the hardware can't handle things that nVidia can, since they compete so vigorously. I'm also going to use this computer to play games on my HDTV, so I don't want to downgrade to a slower card. In fact, I really want to get the ATI X800 all-in-wonder when it's available.

So, I guess my question is, is it just a driver/support issue, and is anyone working on ATI support? Or, is my CPU fast enough that I really won't care?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Your system will probably be fast enough to dispaly HDTV without MPEG acceleration but it will probably be more prone to dropping frames if the system is doing something else. This won't be too distracting if you're the only one using it, but it will drive others in the room crazy if you do anything that causes the video to become jumpy.

I haven't heard of any non-Nvidia cards supporting XvMC yet. I would gladly buy any ATI card that supports it because the last four drivers Nvidia released don't work with my LCD TV and it doesn't look like Nvidia is going to fix what they broke.
get an nvidia card
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
dragonmike

Buy an nvidia card.
I have a Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz with 2GB of RAM.
I ran a Diamond Stealth S80 (ATI based) 128MB DDR and I ran a Diamond Stealth S90 (NVidia based) 128MB DDR on that machine.
Watching the local PBS HDTC channel with a 87% signal the ATI based card had my CPU maxed out. Same channel and the NVidia card the CPU was only running at 50%.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:11 pm Reply with quote
brownraccoon

I used an ATI Radeon card when I first got my hd2000 reciever. It worked fine for me, except my system is too slow to decode hdtv without dropping frames. (1.4GHz Athlon) I now have an Nvidia card with XvMC. With XvMC I can watch hd at the full frame rate. The bottom line is both cards are accepable, but you'll need the motion compensation on Nvidia cards if your system is on the slow side. I do not know if an Athlon 64 3400+ is fast enough to decode hdtv without dropping frames.
Does it work with ATI video card?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics