pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Do you have a working HD-5500 configuration? Goto page Previous  1, 2

Do you have a working HD-5500 configuration?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 17 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 31

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:40 am Reply with quote
rjp

I have two cards in an Ubuntu Gutsy installation with MythTV 0.21 from the backports archive.

Added to /etc/modprobe.d/options:

options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0

Added to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base:

options cx88-alsa index=1,2
options snd-usb-audio index=3

The snd-usb-audio line is needed because I'm using a USB SoundBlaster Audigy 2 NX instead of the onboard sound.

I'm also using the latest v4l-dvb drivers from the v4l-dvb Mercurial repository, which give slightly better results when recording or viewing NTSC video, but I still sometimes get choppy, jerky, completely unwatchable recordings from NTSC sources. A secondary backend with an old Hauppauge WinTV card has higher priority for the NTSC stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:19 am Reply with quote
kshots

Hey, good to hear you got your card working.

My own experience has been smooth in regards to DVB capture. I get around 15 channels from my cable company that the card understands in DVB mode.

On the other hand... analog capture has been rather abysmal. At first, I tried using the built-in analog capture, but it appears that you need to set both the backend and frontend to an unnatural audio rate in order for it to even begin to work. I was willing to change the backend for specifically that card, but I won't change my frontends just for one improperly designed card.

Fortunately, mythtv allows you to assign video capture to one device and audio capture to another... so I popped an old SB Audigy I had lying around into my backend, moved a cable box over, used the S-Video input on the HD-5500, and slapped on an IR blaster to control the channel... and it worked rather well for several months.

Eventually, though... it started really screwing up the recordings. I'd get warped recordings where the video and audio would jump forward, play normally, jump forward, play normally... really screwed everything up, so I just disabled analog capture entirely. I then ordered two Hauppauge PVR-150's to replace the capability, bypassed the cable box by going in directly to the cable, and got some smooth (although lower quality) captures. In the process, I had to yank out my audigy (not enough slots), so I won't be able to go back to analog capture... but I think I'm done screwing around with it.

Overall, the dvb works just fine... but I'm not the least bit impressed with the analog capture support.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup