pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> Still seeing choppy playback
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Still seeing choppy playback
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
cmumford

OK. My 3.0 GHz system is now fully configured. I'm running a plain Fedora Core 2. I've installed the pcHDTV drivers and compiled and installed Xine just as described in the readme files and here's what I see.

About half of the time I get smooth 30 fps video from most of my channels. My maximum CPU usage is only 40%. The other half of the time I get 2fps (yes 2 frames per second) video . This can often be corrected by pressing (for a second time) the DTV button in Xine to reconnect to the pcHDTV card.

Has anybody else seen this? I'm using the release 4 CD image from pcHDTV.com.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

xine-hd does a terrible job of syncing with the ATSC stream when it first starts. I almost always have to pause it once before it will sync. I don't know if anyone is working on it. mplayer doesn't have this problem.
me too
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:14 pm Reply with quote
cmumford

Scott Larson wrote:
xine-hd does a terrible job of syncing with the ATSC stream when it first starts. I almost always have to pause it once before it will sync. I don't know if anyone is working on it. mplayer doesn't have this problem.

Thanks. I've noticed the same thing. Now that I've realized the MythTV uses mplayer I've switched to it too.
Re: Still seeing choppy playback
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:11 pm Reply with quote
slc

cmumford wrote:
Has anybody else seen this? I'm using the release 4 CD image from pcHDTV.com.

Not sure if I had the exact same problem or not, but I just got mine up and running last night after battling with a few of my own problems. My setup is a 3.2 GHz Dell Dimension, FC3, with the pcHDTV 3000, and I previously could not get any HD stations with out it being broken up all over the place. After much playing around with it I doubled the "video buffers" and it no longer had those sync/breakup probems. After I set it to deinterlaceing it was a smooth clean picture with only an occasional hickup hear and there. After I get a "real" antenna rather then this old rabit-ear thing I should really be set to go!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote

Could you share with us what exactly you did to double those buffers?

Thanks and happy holidays.

--San Jose
mplayer?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
rab45

I running (32-bit) FC2 on a 64-bit Athlon system, xine works reasonably well. It works well with playback of recorded HDTV. I have never gotten mplayer to work with either hdtv broadcast viewing or playing back the .ts files. apt-get reports that I have the latest mplayer.

Rick B.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:19 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

How is mplayer failing? The pre6 version works really well for me.
Still seeing choppy playback
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd