pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Non-Smooth/Freezing Playback with 5500 on Analog Cable
Non-Smooth/Freezing Playback with 5500 on Analog Cable
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
djseto

I finally got my MythTV running and while I have no problems with HD, my analog playback is bad. Its choppy and freezes about every second during playback. I cant imagine its my machine since its a AMD Athalon x2 4200 w/ 1GB of DDR2-6400 RAM, and SATA300 7200rpm Hardrives w/ 16MB buffers. Any ideas on how to make it smooth? It's almost like the hardrive isnt writing fast enough and maybe thats causing it to freeze, but these are fast drives. I am running it on Ubuntu 6.10d w/ 2.6.17-10 kernel. I am new to Linux, so forgive me if this is an easy fix? I just dont know if its hardware, OS, or MythTV related.

Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:09 am Reply with quote
waterhead

You could try to watch it with a seperate program, like TVTime or XAWTV. MythTV monopolizes the tuner, so you will have to stop MythTV first.

This is how I do it on Fedora and SuSE:
Code:
/sbin/service mythbackend stop

Ubuntu may be different.

You should be able to add TVTime with the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
djseto

waterhead wrote:
You could try to watch it with a seperate program, like TVTime or XAWTV. MythTV monopolizes the tuner, so you will have to stop MythTV first.

This is how I do it on Fedora and SuSE:
Code:
/sbin/service mythbackend stop

Ubuntu may be different.

You should be able to add TVTime with the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager.

Paul

Are you saying I shouldnt use the 5500 to record standard def or that I can record standard def cable with the 5500 but playback with another program? I guess if thats the case it defeats the purpose of the 5500 as as dual tuner card and that means ill have to get a seperate standard def tuner?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I only suggested it in order to pinpoint the problem. If it works ok in TVTime, then it may be a problem with MythTV.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
djseto

waterhead wrote:
I only suggested it in order to pinpoint the problem. If it works ok in TVTime, then it may be a problem with MythTV.

you are right. It worked great in TVTime. Any ideas about what to change in MythTV to get it to work right??

UPDATE:

I got it to work by choosing DVB0 to use DVB1's analog tuner and vice versa. So when I tune HD on Card 0, it uses Card 0's HD tuner, but when I watch Analog cable on Card 0, it's getting its analog from Card 1. I wonder if this will be a problem when I record an HD and SD show?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
djseto

Still having problems. Any help? My current setup wont allow me to watch analog while recording HD or vice-versa.

I just want each card to be able to tune HD and Analog. So I am back to square one.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:57 am Reply with quote
xyzzy

The card only has one tuner, so you can't tune to both a digital channel and an analog channel at the same time. It sounds like you have two cards? Then you should be able to tune two channels at once, provided you use both cards. If myth is trying to tune two channels at once using just one card, that won't work. It's also a myth configuration problem.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
djseto

xyzzy wrote:
The card only has one tuner, so you can't tune to both a digital channel and an analog channel at the same time. It sounds like you have two cards? Then you should be able to tune two channels at once, provided you use both cards. If myth is trying to tune two channels at once using just one card, that won't work. It's also a myth configuration problem.

I do have 2 cards, but thats not the issue. Even if I am not recording anything and I just try to watch Analog Cable, the sound is terrible and screen often goes green or the picture will never capture. Whats weird is this:

In my MythTV settings, if I change the "Analog" portion of my DVB configuration such that DVB Card 0 (my first 5500 card) is using /dev/video1 (my second 5500) card for Analog, it works fine. So in other words, when MythTV is using Card 0 for Analog cable, the cable is actually being pulled via Card 1. This works for playback purposes, but like you said, when I record an HD and Analog program at once, MythTV thinks its using different cards, but its actually trying to use the same card to tune 2 different things which I know is not possible. I should be able to set DVB Card 0 to use /dev/video0 for the analog portion which tells MythTV that Card 0 can tune HD or Analog. When I try to set it, thats when reception goes to crap. Make sense?
Non-Smooth/Freezing Playback with 5500 on Analog Cable
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup