pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> configuring xine-hd-ui - SOLVED Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
configuring xine-hd-ui - SOLVED
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

Xine-lib seems to go into /usr/local/lib without any trouble. xine-ui cannot find xine-lib even though the docs say it will be installed in /usr/local/bin.

Am I missing somethong simple?

Last edited by Bill Thompson on Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Posting the error message might help.

Have you run ldconfig (even though the make should do that)?
Unable to find Xine
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:13 am Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

config.log give the following: xine-config is correctly found in /usr/local/bin.
The configure script also points to /usr/local/bin for xine which is in /usr/local/lib.
Printout from part of config.log: checking for XINE-LIB version >=1.0.0... ./configure: line1:/usr/local/bin is a directory.

The shortened error message: Could not run Xine test program...runtime linker is not finding xine.

I am running configure as follows:
./configure --with-xine-prefix=/usr/local/lib
(--with-xine-exec-prefix=/usr/local/lib is equally ineffective)

How do I get configure to look to /usr/local/lib?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote

generally the prefix refers to something like /usr or /usr/local

i'd suggest trying --with-xine-prefix=/usr/local

however, this may be part of a larger problem -- make sure that /usr/local/lib is in your /etc/ld.so.conf -- if it isn't, add it in towards the beginning, and rerun ldconfig.
Unable to find xine
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:16 am Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

I believe it is part of a larger problem. Part of the error message has configure looking for /usr/local/lib/bin and there is no /bin subdirectory under /usr/local/lib.
Secondly, my guess (just a guess at this time) is that:
export XINE_LIB=/usr/local/lib finds the correct directory, but that configure is also looke for xine => 1.0.0, and cannot find the correct version.

I will post a bug.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Ivar

I had another version of xine installed on my computer when I installed the pchdtv version of xine. Troubles resulted. I finally removed all the xine files from my computer including the ~/.xine files and reinstalled the pchdtv version of xine. It now works (mostly) with the 2.6.9 kernel (but not with the 2.6.10 kernel).

/usr/local/lib is in the /etc/ld.so.conf file as the xine-hd installation instructions require? You did export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/local/lib"?

Of course, I have no idea whether any of this is relevant.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote

There's more to xine than the lib directory. This is what the prefix is for. If you set the --with-xine-prefix to /usr/local, so that it will look for libraries in ${PREFIX}/lib, include files in ${PREFIX}/include, and so on. If you set the prefix to /usr/local/lib, then it won't find anything. Also, if your don't have /usr/local/lib in the ld.so.conf file (or in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable), then it won't be able to link against xine. And lastly, you need to do xine-lib first, xine-ui second.

I don't mean to be arrogant, but it works for everyone else, so there's no bug in something like that. Just your system that is set up a little different than everyone else's.

A note to Ivar: you can compile the pcHDTV 1.6 drivers in 2.6.10 - works fine for me. There have been a few posts about this; the way I go tit to compile was by removing the second argument of the functions which it complains about... pci_save_state and pci_restore_state or something along those lines. Seems to work for me.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

yes - /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin are in ld.so.conf.
Have set --with-xine-prefix=/usr/local

Will try again

I run gentoo. To effect a change so that the system recognizes /usr/local* editing /etc/ld.so.conf does not work. You must create a new file under /etc/env.d (I added /etc/env.d/99local, and entered:
PATH="usr/local/bin"
LDPATH="/usr/local/lib"

then I ran: export XINE_CONFIG="/usr/local/bin" (probably not necessary) and then ./configure, make, make install.

Worked perfectly

Last edited by Bill Thompson on Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quote

Bill Thompson wrote:
yes - /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin are in ld.so.conf.
Have set --with-xine-prefix=/usr/local

Will try again

/usr/local/bin should NOT be in there. Libraries (ought to) reside in directories like /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, /usr/X11R6/lib, etc. This files tells the dynamic linker (ld) where to find libraries. I suppose there's no real harm in /usr/local/bin being there, but it's better to have things right, imho.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

Have tried again with you suggestions -- no luck. The version of xine that I'm using is the lastest on the download page, listed separately (xine-hd-0.8.tar.gz).

I will remove /usr/local/bin from ld.so.conf in case it is creating the error
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote

Bill Thompson wrote:
Have tried again with you suggestions -- no luck. The version of xine that I'm using is the lastest on the download page, listed separately (xine-hd-0.8.tar.gz).

I will remove /usr/local/bin from ld.so.conf in case it is creating the error

Nah, that shouldn't cause an issue. Could you paste the output from configure that is indicating a failure? You might also take a look at config.log which may point at the error.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

config.log shows the following:
configure:22572:checking for xine-config
configure:22603:result /usr/local/bin
configure:checking for XINE_LIB version>=1.0.0
configure:In function `main':
configure:22736 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22737 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22738 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22741 error: syntax error before ',' token
configure: program exited with status 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 22645 "Configure"

line 22645 is: ac_ext $LIBS >&5

Please see my original post for failure message after running ./configure.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:28 pm Reply with quote

Bill Thompson wrote:
config.log shows the following:
configure:22572:checking for xine-config
configure:22603:result /usr/local/bin
configure:checking for XINE_LIB version>=1.0.0
configure:In function `main':
configure:22736 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22737 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22738 error: syntax error before ')' token
configure:22741 error: syntax error before ',' token
configure: program exited with status 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 22645 "Configure"

line 22645 is: ac_ext $LIBS >&5

Please see my original post for failure message after running ./configure.

sounds like you have a version of xine already installed on your computer (with the /usr prefix), which is screwing up the usage of the one in /usr/local. Uninstall it...

For the more technical explanation - the code in xine does something like #include <xine.h>, but xine.h is found in both /usr/include (from your old version of xine) and in /usr/local/include (from the new one). Various defaults lead it to use the one in /usr/include, resulting in this failure.

The way to verify this theory is to look for a /usr/include/xine.h file or a /usr/include/xine directory. If they exist, that means you have a version already installed that you should remove.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Bill Thompson

Did have xine installed but removed it with emerge unmerge xine. There is nothing in /usr/include -- no xine.h or a xine subdirectory. in the home directory the .xine directory has been deleted (after I copied it to xine.old (not a dot file)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Bill Thompson wrote:
Did have xine installed but removed it with emerge unmerge xine. There is nothing in /usr/include -- no xine.h or a xine subdirectory. in the home directory the .xine directory has been deleted (after I copied it to xine.old (not a dot file)

Running out of ideas here.... How did you compile the lib? You *should* have just been able to do something like ./configure. Did you do a make install? Try redoing it from scratch...
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd