pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> Output compatible with other HD cards?
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Output compatible with other HD cards?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:20 pm Reply with quote
koreth

I have an existing HTPC with a Hipix DTV-200 card, but I'm thinking of adding a DTV tuner to another PC so I can watch a show while it's recording or record two shows at once. I had assumed that I'd be doing that with a second Windows machine, but then I heard about the pcHDTV card.

Does the recording utility for the pcHDTV output files that will play on a Hipix card? I believe the Hipix files are just dumps of the ATSC transport stream, and that the MyHD and Hipix produce files that are compatible with one another. (They use a .ts file extension, if that's any help.)

It would be swell to use my Linux box to do all the recording -- right now if I want to record something on the Hipix I have to be careful what else I do on that PC.
Re: Output compatible with other HD cards?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:40 am Reply with quote
CoffeeBreath

koreth wrote:
I have an existing HTPC with a Hipix DTV-200 card, but I'm thinking of adding a DTV tuner to another PC so I can watch a show while it's recording or record two shows at once. I had assumed that I'd be doing that with a second Windows machine, but then I heard about the pcHDTV card.

Does the recording utility for the pcHDTV output files that will play on a Hipix card? I believe the Hipix files are just dumps of the ATSC transport stream, and that the MyHD and Hipix produce files that are compatible with one another. (They use a .ts file extension, if that's any help.)

It would be swell to use my Linux box to do all the recording -- right now if I want to record something on the Hipix I have to be careful what else I do on that PC.

I just did a few quick tests, and my hipix can play back the files recorded from my pchdtv card, both the ones grabbed with the included utility (getatsc), and those that mythtv recorded.

It's also apparently able to figure out the PIDs properly (at least on the single program channels I tested), so you don't need to kludge the .pid files.

Playing from a samba share worked fine as well, so using one of the mythtv symlink makers (to put titles in the filenames) might be an excellent solution. The only piece missing from that would be the commercial skipping, which might be hackable... I'll have to think about that one... Smile

The hipix does provide excellent display output, so you might just have convinced me to use that as my viewing "front end" while I'm getting my linux one up to speed... It sure would be nice to have linux drivers for the hipix though; there's an effort underway, but it's more geared towards the myhd cards.

Steve.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quote

Super! I'll go place my order now. Thanks for trying it out...
Re: Output compatible with other HD cards?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:04 am Reply with quote
CoffeeBreath

CoffeeBreath wrote:
Playing from a samba share worked fine as well, so using one of the mythtv symlink makers (to put titles in the filenames) might be an excellent solution.

Oops, I have to retract part of this -- a second test with the samba share went poorly (a fair amount of skipping and repetition). I think this is because I had copied a test stream from the share onto the windows box previously, and the first test's reads were being fulfilled from cache.

I believe it's possible to make it work (I think I've read of people having done so), but there may be some additional tuning that needs to be done to get it totally right.

Steve
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 pm Reply with quote
koreth

FYI, I'm getting pretty good results over a Samba share, though I do see a little bit of glitchiness if I'm watching while a show is still recording. As far as I can tell the glitches happen when the Hipix switches to a new file (though not on every file switch.) But it's quite minor, and it doesn't happen if I watch when nothing else is going on on the server. I didn't do any particular tuning.
Output compatible with other HD cards?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics