pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Using XVmc in myth
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Using XVmc in myth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:53 am Reply with quote
Xevious

I was wondering for those of you who have gotten XVMC working in myth where exacly did you set it? i enabled it in the settings.pro and compiled it however it doesnt appear to be using XVMC is it a setting somewhere in myth, also im recompiling myth right now because it was using pentium pro optimization i think thats why playing 1080i stuff takes about 90-95% cpu usage in myth vs 70% in mplayer, and like 30-35% in mplayer with xvmc....
XvMC in Mythtv with Nvidia hardware
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
jer

I posted yesterday to the Mythtv dev list regarding the Nvidia XvMC. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but the response I got was that its currently not supported and is known to have bugs (like doesn't work in live TV for example). It seems that most people are using software decoding instead. This is apparently going to be true for the next (0.17) release as well. It seems that there are others experiencing similar problems based on the responses.
Re: XvMC in Mythtv with Nvidia hardware
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote

jer wrote:
I posted yesterday to the Mythtv dev list regarding the Nvidia XvMC. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but the response I got was that its currently not supported and is known to have bugs (like doesn't work in live TV for example). It seems that most people are using software decoding instead. This is apparently going to be true for the next (0.17) release as well. It seems that there are others experiencing similar problems based on the responses.

nVidia hasn't updated their drivers for the newer kernels. I got the old one to work under FC3 but it was unusuable.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
bob

My system is an XP2200 and I've been using XVMC since December or early January. I use debian so I have to download the recompile the source each time mythtv is updated.

You need to have the nvidia-glx-dev (under debian) installed to compile, then uncomment these lines in settings.pro:

Code:

# XvMC support, modify as necessary.
#CONFIG += using_xvmc
#DEFINES += USING_XVMC
#EXTRA_LIBS += -lXvMCNVIDIA -lXvMC

When I play digital shows I always see a little bit of blue before I see the show.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote

I had various glitches with XvMC up until the most recently Nvidia drivers (7174). Running on a P4-2.4G. Enabled XvMC in settings. Rebuilt cvs. Enabled XvMC in frontend. Running fine (cpu @ 10% during playback). In fact, I can't playback a 1920x1088 capture smoothly without it. Using just XV results in choppy playback for me (max'd out CPU). Backend runs on a remote host.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote
ik632

I have tried installing the 7174 drivers and I still get choppy video or worse yet, when I enable XvMC in the frontend setup I get a video error and the frontend crashes.

You mentioned recompiling from cvs, I haven't done this before. Do you have to enable XvMC during the install of the 7174 drivers? I have searched and searched, but I'm having a hard time finding good information about getting XvMC to work (most say that it's broken and not to use it, but I need it with my AthlonXP 2600+ and MX4000 to play HD - I hope smoothly when I get this working).
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:05 pm Reply with quote
bob

I use debian, so in order to recompile mythtv with the XvMC support, I had to install the nvidia-glx-dev package. This package contains the libraries so that the mythtv you compile can be linked in with the rest of the code.

In my previous post I was using mythtv 0.16 and the 6629 drivers. I am now using 7174 and mythtv 0.18 and my playback isn't so smooth and I can't get XvMC to work -- I may have to recompile. A 720p show is very choppyl. It appears that the debian version of 0.18 was compiled with XvMC but it doesn't work for me.

Don't be mislead. Even when XvMC was "working" I had lock-ups. When I would hit the info button, there was a good chance the frontend would lock-up, especially playing a 720p show.
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:49 am Reply with quote
ik632

bob wrote:
In my previous post I was using mythtv 0.16 and the 6629 drivers. I am now using 7174 and mythtv 0.18 and my playback isn't so smooth and I can't get XvMC to work -- I may have to recompile. A 720p show is very choppyl. It appears that the debian version of 0.18 was compiled with XvMC but it doesn't work for me.

Do you think it might be something with the 6629 driver? I'd be willing to try those out if they would get it to work. I'm currently using Knoppmyth R5A15.1 and it seams to work pretty good. I may try that out this weekend (it's going to be rainy here so it's a good weekend to stay in Smile )
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:04 pm Reply with quote
bob

I don't think it's the driver, more likely it's mythtv. I think Issac has had a lot of trouble with this, I am pondering selling my current box so I can build a new one that will play HD better.

I did re-compile myth 0.18 with the 7174 drivers, it is much easier to do now. To enable XvMC, pass "--enable-xvmc" to the configure program before you compile. I have not installed this new version yet so I cannot report anything more.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:44 am Reply with quote
tji

Does anyone know the current state of XvMC support with MythTV?

I tried enabling it, with the latest x86-64 Linux drivers, and I got an XvMC error message - something about a failed allocation.

Before I spend a lot of time debugging it, I wanted to make sure it actually can be made to work.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:54 am Reply with quote
tji

tji wrote:
Does anyone know the current state of XvMC support with MythTV?

I tried enabling it, with the latest x86-64 Linux drivers, and I got an XvMC error message - something about a failed allocation.

Before I spend a lot of time debugging it, I wanted to make sure it actually can be made to work.

Updating to the latest cvs snapshot of MythTV solved my XvMC problem.

My system info: Ubuntu Linux 5.04 X86-64 mode, Nvidia FX5200 card, with 1.0-7667 Nvidia drivers.
Using XVmc in myth
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card