pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> XvMC question
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
XvMC question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
gatzke

I am not sure that I am getting XvMC actually working.

When compiling xine-libs, only Xv static is listed, no XvMC.

I have tried a variety of flags on ./configure, but nothing appears to work.

Nothing complains when I start xine with -V xvmc, but in the preferences, xvmc is not listed, only xv.

I have not done anything special as for drivers, just pure RH FC3 install.

After config:

* video driver plugins:
- XShm (X11 shared memory)
- Xv (XVideo *static*)
- OpenGL
- fb (Linux framebuffer device)
- sdl (Simple DirectMedia Layer)
- dxr3 (Hollywood+ and Creative dxr3, mpeg video only)
- vidix (X11 and framebuffer support)

[root@localhost xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a]# locate XvMC
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libI810XvMC.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so.1.0
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMC.so
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMC.h
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMClib.h
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/extensions/XvMCproto.h
[root@localhost xine-hd-lib-1-rc6a]#
XvMC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
gatzke

So I figured out to go get the official Nvidia drivers. I think they are installed, but I don't know how to check to make sure.

I recompiled the xine-hd-libs and it now compiles the xvmc driver, but xine bombs when I try to start it with -V xvmc.

I added an extra line in my xorg.conf for accelerated video.

When xine dies, it says:
main: video driver <xvmc> failed

Any thoughts?
xvmc
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
gatzke

So most of the directions for using the hardware accelleration xvmc drivers for xine just say something like install the nvidia drivers.

There is no magic button to install these drivers. There are a variety of things to do to your xorg.conf file after you run the Nvidia provided script.

Using Fedora Core 3, on some Nvidia cards (mine, geforce 440) the current drivers lock X completely after the Nvidia splash screen.

After a few hours of attempts to get this running, I now have to wait for the latest and greatest from NVidia.

Maybe I will get xvmc running one day...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Did you check around at the NvNews Forum? The forum usually isn't very helpful because Nvidia's drivers are closed and no one has any way to find out why things don't work, but occasionally someone will find workarounds to problems like this.
Finally ok, mplayer?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote
gatzke

FC had issues, so I installed FC2 and did updates to the system, but I continued to use the default kernel (not the 2.6.10 kernel available in updates, I think it is 2.6.4 or something)

I managed to get the nvidia drivers running, not the newest 6629, the 6111 dirvers. They compiled and inserted ok, X worked and xvmc was available in xdpyinfo.

I compiled the pchdtv drivers and xine using the default kernel, all seems well so far.

Xine seems to work with the xvmc driver, but the frames are still choppy in some cases. And sometimes I will get the drivers hung (blue image in xine or no dtv available error) and that requires a reboot. Overall, almost adequate.

I noticed things were stinky (dropped frames, artifacts onscreen) for a while, but Jay Leno looked really good in 1080i, nice and smooth, while other programs stank. Are there different types of 1080i broadcasts? Compressed and not so compressed? Or maybe my antenna is not optimized for some stations...

Also, I am running at 1920x1440 or higher so the xine-hd display is super small. Is there a double size option like in xmms? I have not found one.

Finally, I have mplayer compiled and running but I can't get it to work with the dtv stream. Any ideas on how to try that out? I hear it is better than xine.

Thanks,

Ed
icewm
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 pm Reply with quote
gatzke

I forgot to mention that I started using icewm instead of kde or gnome.

This minimized the amount of crap that is running in the background, allowing xine to get more cycles. That seemed to help as well, but I need to get my xterm font bigger...

yum install icw*
switchdesk
Re: Finally ok, mplayer?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

gatzke wrote:
Xine seems to work with the xvmc driver, but the frames are still choppy in some cases.

I always have problems with xine trying to display 60p streams with xvmc. Xine will get choppy and non-responsive. I think it has something to do with xine not dropping frames properly and then trying to render non-sense frames. mplayer works fine.
Quote:
And sometimes I will get the drivers hung (blue image in xine or no dtv available error) and that requires a reboot. Overall, almost adequate.

I hit the overlay bug all the time with older Nvidia cards and it always required a reboot. With the FX5200, I get it much less often and usually restarting the Xserver will fix it.

Quote:
I noticed things were stinky (dropped frames, artifacts onscreen) for a while, but Jay Leno looked really good in 1080i, nice and smooth, while other programs stank. Are there different types of 1080i broadcasts? Compressed and not so compressed? Or maybe my antenna is not optimized for some stations...

You'll have to be more specific. There are lots of extremely grainy shows out there that barely look adequate in NTSC (like Alias). It could also be reception problems or many other things.

Quote:
Also, I am running at 1920x1440 or higher so the xine-hd display is super small. Is there a double size option like in xmms? I have not found one.

You should be able to hit "f" or maximize for fullscreen.

Quote:
Finally, I have mplayer compiled and running but I can't get it to work with the dtv stream. Any ideas on how to try that out?
Unless it's printing something before not working, I haven't a single idea how to help. Smile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote

Some 1080i looks bad, lke digital artifacts, but I think it is a signal strength problem. A new antenna may help. Another ETV 1080i stream lookd fine.

As for high resolution / small xine-hd display, I know you can hit f to get video full screen. The little xine skin for the controls (channel change, volume) is really really small at high res.

mplayer /dev/dtv sorta works, but it is very choppy and I can't change channels.

Quote:

You'll have to be more specific. There are lots of extremely grainy shows out there that barely look adequate in NTSC (like Alias). It could also be reception problems or many other things.

Quote:

You should be able to hit "f" or maximize for fullscreen.

Quote:
Finally, I have mplayer compiled and running but I can't get it to work with the dtv stream. Any ideas on how to try that out?
Unless it's printing something before not working, I haven't a single idea how to help. Smile
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

If you can describe these digital artifacts, we might be able to tell you what's causing them. You could be seeing problems you can fix or you just may be seeing the terrible picture quality of some shows that NTSC has been masking for you. Smile

I think you're stuck with the size of the xine controls unless someone has made a larger skin.

mplayer requires a lot of command line options to work well with HD (it's much more flexible than xine). If you want to use it, you should try "--cache 8192" to see if that fixes the choppiness. Enabling XvMC requires "-vo xvmc:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc" since it's implemented only in the ffmpeg codec.
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:02 am Reply with quote
jerstamb

Scott;
Quote:
mplayer requires a lot of command line options to work well with HD (it's much more flexible than xine). If you want to use it, you should try "--cache 8192" to see if that fixes the choppiness. Enabling XvMC requires "-vo xvmc:queue -vc ffmpeg12mc" since it's implemented only in the ffmpeg codec.

I have struggled wiith running xvmc in mplayer (or anything) . I saw your post listing the command line you used. I tried it and -- sucess! My cpu loading dropped from ~85% to ~31% while running 720p. And it is very smooth without obvious frame drops. Next the Xine problem. I have been shopping for a faster cpu and motherboard, looks like what I have will do. Are my results to good to be true?

Jerry
amd xp2000
mx5200
2.6.12-rc2
HD-3000, HD-2000
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

They sound about right.

I was experimenting with a change to the XvMC parts of mplayer and xine that eliminated the choppiness that xine has with 60p streams and the problem both have of locking up when XvMCRender never returns for some reason. These problems happen mostly when my system is loaded doing other things. I have an FX5200 and an RX5500 and they both have the same problems.

The fix worked but it just about doubled the CPU usage. I don't have the details of it here at work but it involved freeing the surface that XvMCRender is about to use to be extra extra sure that the surface is free. The code makes no sense because this surface has definitely already been freed once, but then this wait takes a lot of CPU. If the surface is really free, what the heck is it doing?

I wasn't sure if others were having these problems and I can't explain the code so I've been experimenting with this change for a few months.
XvMC question
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd