pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> getting mplayer working as the #1 primo display system
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
getting mplayer working as the #1 primo display system
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:55 am Reply with quote
joev

I'm working on finding the most reliable, fastest, best looking method for viewing HDTV. The xine-hd program has problems with glitchy streams with results in the audio being lost (and requiring a resync by switching to another channel and back again). I don't like the VLC interface and in my opinion its quality and speed are poor. My favorite video player is mplayer, and I've gotten it to the point where I can *almost* reliably watch good HDTV with it.

First off, let me say that I'm using the release 1.0pre2 and am running Gentoo on an AMD XP 1900+ and NVidia Geforce 4 4200Ti.

I'm using the following command to view HDTV:
mplayer /dev/dtv

and if I want fast deinterlacing (by dropping out the odd scanlines, which still looks great when the stream is 1080i anyway) I run:
mplayer /dev/dtv -vf halfpack

if the image is 4:3 then I add on the -panscan option like so:
mplayer /dev/dtv -panscan 1.0

Like I said, this works nearly perfectly. The only problem I'm having is that occassionally I'll get a bunch of errors like this:
New TS pid=1
New TS pid=105
New TS pid=41
New TS pid=245
PARSE_PMT, ES_DESCR_LENGTH TOO LARGE 774 > 36, EXIT 41 bytes for PMT_ES
New TS pid=3601

Which are being raised by mplayer's mpeg demuxer. After these, mplayer immediately exits with an "Exiting... (End of file)".

Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree posting here instead of in some mplayer forum, but can anyone shed any light on what's happening here? I assume that it's due to the fact that I'm opening mplayer by pointing it to /dev/dtv. My guess is that it's hitting some corrupt mpeg2 data and throwing it out, but doing it so fast that it quickly runs out of new data from /dev/dtv and quits.

Any help is appreciated.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Electrode

-cache 8192 fixes it
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:19 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

I use mplayer a lot but it does have some problems with HD streams. It gives up too quickly on streams if it can't sync with it soon enough (or perhaps it's looking for a PMT or something). I'll have to start it several times to get it to sync with a stream that has PSIP and subchannels. Since this requires luck and timing, mplayer almost never works on a saved stream. I've had very few problems with xine giving up on streams. It will keep on reading and displaying errors until it syncs.

I've noticed another problem mplayer has with 60p streams like ABC's. Every once in a while it will display a green or purple horizontal pixelized streak, sometimes several times a minute. mplayer doesn't indicate any errors when this is happening and xine never does this. Oddly some people have been reporting the same problem watching ABC with their STB's.

Also I'm using the latest version of xine which seems more stable than the xine-hd version that pcHDTV ships. I applied the pcHDTV patches to it which of course failed in several places (the latest xine is using the -c option too) but I was eventually able to get it to work by hand. I don't think I got the GUI channel changer working but I never use it anyway.
getting mplayer working as the #1 primo display system
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics