pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> XvMC and nvidia Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
XvMC and nvidia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:16 am Reply with quote
Foxbat

Does anyone know where I can find a list of nvidia cards that support XvMC? I currently have a Geforce 3, and while the xine libs configure scripts detects the XvMC extension and builds it ok, xine bombs when I try to invoke it. Do I need a new video card?

Thanks.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DaJoker

I believe that it is supported on the GeForce4 MX400 and up
actually - no
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
john brown

You get support in 440 mx, plus the 5200 and 5500 series - all of which are branded as geforce mx series - at least that's what I gleaned from Nvidia's website last week.
5 volt
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Jim

i guess everybody is going to want to find an old 5 volt pci motherboard

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:43 pm Reply with quote
HDTV buff

How about this computer http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=274 ?

It has a 5v peripheral bus.

Sorry, couldn't resist... Smile Cool

-HDTV Buff
old-computers.com/museum
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:42 am Reply with quote
HydraSwitch

HDTV buff wrote:
How about this computer http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=274 ?

It has a 5v peripheral bus.

Sorry, couldn't resist... Smile Cool

WHAT!!!??? Wink
No PDP-11's!!! That's where I started with Unix... quite a while back. Computers sure have changed since 1980...
RE: 5v
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:41 am Reply with quote
HDTV buff

ok,

All kidding aside, I personally love Dell (no, I don't work for them and I don't own their stock).

I have purchased SC400, SC420, PowerEdge 700, and their 4700 home line. Their home line is crap (lots of screws, thin cheap metal). However, their server line is really well built. Just top notch.

This is just one heck of a computer for the price: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_sc420?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&~page=1#tabtop . It extremely quiet. So much so, if you put tape over the front LED, there is no way you can be certain if the machine is on or not.

Yet, it can sufficiently cool 4 400GB drives, video card, and a pair of pcHDTV cards. It is trully an impressive design. Since it is part of their server line, it has high end features line hardware random number generator and built-in SATA raid controller.

Because it has only 3 pci slots, you would have to put a usb sound card if you are going to load this machine up with a pair of pcHDTV cards and 4 SATA drives (motherboard only has two sata channels).

However, it has a pci express 8x slot. It cannot take pci express 16 cards. At leas not without a tool like dremel. Smile

SC420 FAQ is a REQUIRED reading, if you are not familiar with the pci express issue. http://aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2058 and http://www.aaltonen.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1999 . Some people had problems when they connected nvidia cards to this slot. I cannot personally vouch one way or another. Caveat Emptor!

I bought its cousin sc1420 as a replacement for my mythtv box (dual processor, Xeon only). However, that only has one 5v slot. Unfortunately, I own a pair of pcHDTV cards. Sad

I did "dremel" the pci express slot but have not connected to anything (since I cannot really use that box). See my rant at http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759 .

It is kind of unfortunate that Dell stayed away from PCI express x16 slots on their server line. They want you to pay several hundred more for their home line--which when it is compared to their server line--is crap.

-HDTV Buff
Re: 5 volt
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:58 am Reply with quote

Jim wrote:

Uhh . . . . nearly all PC PCI slots support both 3.3v and 5v - have no tabs in them to prevent insertion of one or the other.

Those two notches that are in most PCI cards - having both notches is supposed to indicate that the card can accept either 3.3v or 5v. The pcHDTV cards lack the notch that would allow them to be seated in 3.3v-only pci slots.

I've seen embedded devices that had 3.3v-only slots (and 5v-only slots - sometimes on the same board), but, my HD-3000 is working great in my nForce3-Ultra Athlon64 machine.

I've never seen a PC motherboard that wouldn't accept a 5v pci card - just weirdware embedded development boards.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
HDTV buff

Anonymous wrote:
Jim wrote:

Uhh . . . . nearly all PC PCI slots support both 3.3v and 5v - have no tabs in them to prevent insertion of one or the other.

I believe you are trying to say "cards" rather then "slots". All pci slots can be either 3.3v or 5v. Any one specific slot can only supply one voltage. Card is what is inserted into the slot and has "notches".

Anonymous wrote:
Those two notches that are in most PCI cards - having both notches is supposed to indicate that the card can accept either 3.3v or 5v. The pcHDTV cards lack the notch that would allow them to be seated in 3.3v-only pci slots.

Quite right. pcHDTV card can only be installed in a 5v slot.

Anonymous wrote:
I've seen embedded devices that had 3.3v-only slots (and 5v-only slots - sometimes on the same board), but, my HD-3000 is working great in my nForce3-Ultra Athlon64 machine.

Thats good news.

Anonymous wrote:
I've never seen a PC motherboard that wouldn't accept a 5v pci card - just weirdware embedded development boards.

Friend, you need to see more.

Did you know starting with pci version 2.3, 5v slots are not even allowed to exist in computers? That is why pchdtv quotes an obsolute spec of "compatible with pci ver 2.2".

That alone is *at best* misleading. At worst frudulent. PCI spec starting with version 1.2 has been designed for 3.3v. Cards that do not carry "pci compatibility" should state their narrower compatibility. I.E. "compatible with pci ver 2.2 5v only".

See my rant at http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=759 .

For more information about the pci slots, see PCI Sig Group at http://www.pcisig.com .

-HDTV Buff

PS. I own a Dell PowerEdge 600SC that I bough in 2002 or 2003. It *only* has 3.3v slots (four or five slots / server chasis). It does not have *any* 5v slots. That is the computer I am using to reply to this post. Smile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote

HDTV buff wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Did you know starting with pci version 2.3, 5v slots are not even allowed to exist in computers? That is why pchdtv quotes an obsolute spec of "compatible with pci ver 2.2".

The only prebuilt computer I've ever bought is my laptop. I've probably built 10 computers in the last year alone for myself, family, friends, etc. (And I've been building my own PCs since the 386 days.) I too have never seen a system that won't take a 5v card. That's not to say they don't exist but it does suggest they must be rare. I just browsed newegg.com and looked at every ASUS, ABIT, AOPEN, and FOXCONN motherboard they stock -- they *all* support 5V cards. Even the two desktop AOPEN boards that are specifically for Pentium-M processors support 5V cards and one of them uses the 915 chipset that was released just this year.

No, I don't work work for nor am I in any way associated with the company that sells the HD-3000 other than the fact that I have purchased their product. I just think you are making way to big of a deal out of this and I'm calling you on it.

Please point out one mainstream off-the-shelf motherboard that I can buy that doesn't support 5V PCI cards. BTW, I'm the same "guest" that is still looking for an ATSC tuner card that works with linux and uses 3.3V. You told me to google so I did and I have yet to find one that will work with linux. Please show me that I'm ignorant and provide a link to a product that meets this description too. You act like these things are easy to find so it should only take you a minute or two to post links. Anything short of real links to real products will be a sign that I called your bluff and won.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote

BTW, a glance at PCI cards which are being sold right now shows that there are a fair number of 5V only cards being made and sold. It looks to me like *every* Turtle Beach audio card is 5V only and it looks like a lot of the USB, 1394, USB/1394 combo, and RS232/IEEE1284 cards are 5V only.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote

Oh and add Hauppauge to the list of offenders. Note that the ever poplular PVR250 and PVR350 appear to be 5V only from their pictures. Getting a clue yet?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:34 am Reply with quote
Computer buff

Lest anyone complain about anonymous posting I decided to register -- the last three guest comments were me.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote
HDTV buff

Anonymous wrote:
HDTV buff wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

The only prebuilt computer I've ever bought is my laptop. I've probably built 10 computers in the last year alone for myself, family, friends, etc. (And I've been building my own PCs since the 386 days.) I too have never seen a system that won't take a 5v card. That's not to say they don't exist but it does suggest they must be rare. I just browsed newegg.com and looked at every ASUS, ABIT, AOPEN, and FOXCONN motherboard they stock -- they *all* support 5V cards. Even the two desktop AOPEN boards that are specifically for Pentium-M processors support 5V cards and one of them uses the 915 chipset that was released just this year.

No, I don't work work for nor am I in any way associated with the company that sells the HD-3000 other than the fact that I have purchased their product. I just think you are making way to big of a deal out of this and I'm calling you on it.

Please point out one mainstream off-the-shelf motherboard that I can buy that doesn't support 5V PCI cards. BTW, I'm the same "guest" that is still looking for an ATSC tuner card that works with linux and uses 3.3V. You told me to google so I did and I have yet to find one that will work with linux. Please show me that I'm ignorant and provide a link to a product that meets this description too. You act like these things are easy to find so it should only take you a minute or two to post links. Anything short of real links to real products will be a sign that I called your bluff and won.

How particularly ironic that you would ask for links when you posted none.

----- computer links -----

I don't buy motherboards. I buy computers. Actually, I only buy Dell. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way. Just their servers are well designed, quiet and reliable.

Also to be clear to our novice readers. Any slot listed as "PCI-X" is a pci slot. It will accept any pci card (in addition to pci-x) cards. The only catch is that the card must either universal or 3.3v card. Basically, anything but the legacy 5v card will work in it.

Having said that, here is the computer I am using to post write this message is Dell PowerEdge 600SC. I have had this for years. Check out the pictures of the motherboard at http://www.2cpu.com/articles/38_2.html . Notice it does not have *any* 5v slots.

Dell does not carry any product that has more then two pci 5v slots.

Only their "low end" modules have two 5v slots. Anything higher, only has one 5v slot. Like my sc1420. Worse yet: it is already consumed. Sad Dell Tower Servers.

The same holds true for hp. HP Server Line.

Again, there is nothing wrong with building your own pc. I just personally do not do this myself.

Here is the bottom line: there is no upgrade path for 5v cards. They cannot be migrated into newer stuff (unlike 3.3v cards). Maybe you will continue to buy 5v motherboards forever. In that case, I wish you best of luck.

----- capture card links -----

To answer the last part of your question. Are there any other cards that can capture hdtv. Remember, I said anyone competent enough to use google. You claim that you are not.

First thing is to look at the bttv driver.

Google bttv search. Try going to "bttv gallery". These are capture cards supported by the bttv driver. The list is quite long.

May be you still are not competent enough to look further (remember, minimum competency of searching google is required--which you claim you do not have).

Google Search hdtv capture linux. The first hit is a slashdot article that talks about hdtv capture cards. Show only post with ratings of "4" or above, you will discover all sorts of links and testimonials. E.g. Comment about fusionhdtv 3 and Re:how about.

FusionHDTV3 has been replaced with FusionHDTV5. Interestingly enough, it had qam support for six months before pchdtv did. The driver for FusionHDTV5 will be added to dvb cvs soon.

If you don't mind writing a linux driver--what am I saying, you can't even google!--then you have a host of choices.

For example, ATI HDTV Wonder.

I am waiting on verification that the FusionHDTV5 does not have any broadcast flag stuff in it (I know broadcast flag was defeated, but product designs cycles are significantly longer). If it is clear, I will order it.

With the modular design of the dvb, writing a driver is truly a trivial task. For comparison, pchdtv driver was only a couple of hundred lines of code.

---- the problem ----

Now that I cannot plug more then one of those cards in my machine. Whose fault is it anyway? Dell who followed the spec or pchdtv who did not follow the spec?

Or is it mine because pchdtv decided to lie on their website?
http://pchdtv.com/hd_3000_right_down.html wrote:
The HD-3000 Hi Definition Television PCI Card is an universal PCI 2.2 compliant card

That is a false statement.

I don't know why you would defend their lying so vigorously. *At best* what they are doing is lying. At worst it is fraud. Pure and simple.

I guess they do not believe in truth in advertising.

-HDTV Buff
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote
JohnK

HDTV buff wrote:

---- the problem ----

Now that I cannot plug more then one of those cards in my machine. Whose fault is it anyway? Dell who followed the spec or pchdtv who did not follow the spec?

Or is it mine because pchdtv decided to lie on their website?
http://pchdtv.com/hd_3000_right_down.html wrote:
The HD-3000 Hi Definition Television PCI Card is an universal PCI 2.2 compliant card

That is a false statement.

I don't know why you would defend their lying so vigorously. *At best* what they are doing is lying. At worst it is fraud. Pure and simple.

I guess they do not believe in truth in advertising.

-HDTV Buff

(1) To anyone else reading, PCI-X is not the same as PCI express (The references to the Dell systems could lead one to beleive that. PCI Express is a totally different ELECTRICAL interface in that it's a serial buff interface- the onlt resemblence to PCI is that it uses the same SOFTWARE signalling.

(3) As to whose fault it is, Dell's or PC HDTV's. I would sumbit that that fault is in the consumer. I for one, recently upgraded a Dell Poweredge SC1600 to a Dell PowerEdge 1800. The SC1600 had 2 PCI 5 V cards in to. The 1800 has only 1 5V PCI slots - I had to upgrade one of the cards to a PCI-express in order to keep the same config.

(2) PCI-X is an extension to PCI2.2 Reference
(Dig into the PDF tutorial)
As such, the statement that the HD3000 is PCI2.2 compliant is correct.
XvMC and nvidia
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd