pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> hd3000 dvb setup in mythtv Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
hd3000 dvb setup in mythtv
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:18 am Reply with quote
devilstaco

I've managed to get hdtv qam capture working with the hd3000 outside of mythtv with the dvb drivers, but I'm having trouble getting things setup within mythtv. I posted to the mythtv mailing list to ask for help there. This post details what i've done and may be helpful for others trying to do the same thing:
http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2005-March/081354.html

I'm hoping someone who frequents this forum will know better what to do with mythtv. I was having trouble getting mythtvsetup to add channels using the autoscan. It adds transport ids just fine (or so I think), and I've managed to add a dvb channel manually to the database using:
Code:

INSERT INTO dvb_channel (chanid, serviceid, networkid, providerid, transportid,frequency, inversion, symbolrate, fec, polarity, satid, modulation, bandwidth, lp_code_rate, transmission_mode, guard_interval, hierarchy, pmtcache) VALUES (1000,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,147000000,'a',NULL,'auto',NULL,0,'qam_256','a','auto','a','auto',NULL,NULL);

INSERT INTO dvb_pids (chanid, pid, type, lang) VALUES (1000,1,'o','');

and i added a channel manually in mythtvsetup which is listed in the database as:
Code:

INSERT INTO channel (chanid, channum, freqid, sourceid, callsign, name, icon, finetune, videofilters, xmltvid, recpriority, contrast, brightness, colour, hue, tvformat, commfree, visible, outputfilters, useonairguide, mplexid, serviceid, atscsrcid) VALUES (1000,'18-1','147000000',1,'KCNCDT','KCNCDT','none',NULL,'','',0,32768,32768,32768,32768,'ATSC',0,1,'',0,NULL,NULL,NULL);

but i'm not sure if all these settings are right (I think they're close) or if they're even necessary. Anyone else have any success using the dvb drivers within mythv?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Adam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote

I'm not using DVB as I don't need QAM and I had things working just fine with the old drivers so I may be missing some peice of knowledge but why do you need to manually add channels? If you follow the mythtv instructions you are supposed to let zap2it know what channels you receive and mythfilldatabase will add all the channels for you.

From the mythtv.org documentation:
Quote:
The channel editor is used to globally alter channel information, including items like hue, contrast, finetuning and others. Users in North America shouldn't run the channel editor until after completing initial setup and running mythfilldatabase at least once to populate the database.

In other words, drop out of the setup program after you've completed the "Input Connection" portion of the setup but before you enter the "Channel Editor". You run mythfilldatabase at this point. If you run the setup program again you can enter the "Channel Editor" and see that all your channels are there -- mythfilldatabase and your zap2it configuration did it for you...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:28 am Reply with quote

Yea, I didn't have to modify any sql tables directly. Although I did run the full scan (cable) to see what QAM channels my card detected. Then I went to zap2it and made a listing based off of those channels. (I was using myth from cvs around March 20th)

Note. After running the full scan I could start myth and watch live tv but since I didn't have any guide data linked I could not schedule recordings.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quote
devilstaco

I did try adding the channels using zap2it and mythfilldatabase, so i don't have to manually add the channels, but the problem is the dvb info (dvb_channel and dvb_pids) is not connected to the channels properly for tuning within mythtv. When trying to tune the backend log tells me that it cant find channel options for the first tuned channel and that the pid value (0) is outside the dvb specification. Perhaps someone who has dvb qam working could share what the contents of their database looks like so i can have an example with something like:

mysqldump -u mythtv -p -a -c mythconverg channel dvb_channel dvb_pids dtv_multiplex

thanks much,
Adam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
ches

I've actually got this working: FC3 with CVS mythtv, and HD3000 pulling DVB channels
off the air from the NYC area.

The myth scan for DVB channels returns useful information, but the channel names don't match,
so this information has to be transferred over, which is why I spent a good part of today getting the hang of mysql and mysql-browser. What is (sortof) working for me are the following table entries:

mysql> SELECT chanid,channum,freqid,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,mplexid,serviceid,atscsrcid FROM `channel` where sourceid=2;
+--------+---------+--------+----------+----------+--------------------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+
| chanid | channum | freqid | sourceid | callsign | name | xmltvid | mplexid | serviceid | atscsrcid |
+--------+---------+--------+----------+----------+--------------------+---------+---------+-----------+-----------+
| 2014 | 4_1 | 28-1 | 2 | WNBCDT | WNBCDT (WNBC-DT) | 20459 | 23 | 3 | 2 |
| 2015 | 4_2 | 28-2 | 2 | WNBCDT2 | WNBCDT2 (WNBC-DT2) | 44936 | 23 | 4 | 1 |
| 2016 | 5_1 | 44-1 | 2 | WNYWDT | WNYWDT (WNYW-DT) | 20360 | 32 | 3 | 3 |
| 2017 | 2_1 | 56-1 | 2 | WCBSDT | WCBSDT (WCBS-DT) | 16689 | 37 | 1 | 1 |
| 2018 | 5_2 | 44-2 | 2 | WNYWDT2 | WNYWDT2 (WNYW-DT2) | 30763 | 32 | 4 | 4 |
| 2019 | 7_1 | 45-1 | 2 | WABCDT | WABCDT (WABC-DT) | 20453 | NULL | NULL | NULL |
| 2020 | 9_1 | 38-1 | 2 | WWORDT | WWORDT (WWOR-DT) | 26566 | 32 | 4 | 4 |
| 2021 | 11_1 | 33-1 | 2 | WPIXDT | WPIXDT (WPIX-DT) | 20373 | 27 | 3 | 3 |

the mplexid, serviceid, and atscsrcid were copied into these fields with commands like:

update channel set mplexid=27,serviceid=3,atscsrcid=3 where chanid=2021;

The correct values came from the channel entries generated by the mythtv DVB scan.
I deleted those non-functioning entries after extracting this information with:

delete from channel where chanid=2041;

Now I am getting actual HDTV signals from several stations. Signal is varying and poor, and the mythfrontend crashes on CBS and NBC's signals (1080i) but handles WYNW's 720i.
So, more Saturday fun hunting these down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
tube013

Hi. For what it's worth your method of manually looking up the mplexid and adding it to the channels table worked for me. However my QAM Signal don't seem to be on par with what I can get over the air. While I seem to be able to tune most of the comcast digital cable lineup here in north Wilmington, Delaware, most channels have a ton of continuity count erros, or come out with no audio (I'm checking now on how to check for addtional audio streams).

Not sure what I can do for the continuity errors, I've tried bypassing my splitters and feeding the cable line directly into the hd3000. The line coming from the pole is pretty old though, so maybe I'll attempt to replace that with a nice RG6 - Quad Shielded cable.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
devilstaco

yea this isn't perfect, however. as seen in ches' post, more than just the mplex id is necessary (serviceid and atscsrcid). I'm not entirely sure what those should be, but i tried setting service id to the sub channel, but never set the atscsrcid to anything. needless to say, some channels capture fine in myth under this setup, but others are real jittery and sometimes with or without sound and just generally unacceptable.

-Adam
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:55 am Reply with quote
ik632

I have used the scan utility in 15.1 and managed to pick up QAM off of Time Warner cable in Raleigh. I made another lineup at zap2it and it updates pretty well. I still had to go back into mythweb to edit the channel list. You also have to go back to what you scan in the channel setup (mythsetup) and add the correct xmlid to the channel information. After that I was happilly tuning QAM (though I'm having trouble with stuttering video/audio as the XvMC isn't working for me yet).
How do I use the sacan utility?
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
haanm

Myth doesn't seem to recognize my card, but the drivers/firmware are loaded. How does one do this?
Re: How do I use the sacan utility?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
bcstanding

haanm wrote:
Myth doesn't seem to recognize my card, but the drivers/firmware are loaded. How does one do this?

I'm in the same boat with this. I run azap first to confirm that the card is working, but the mythsetup says it can't open /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0...
Re: How do I use the sacan utility?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quote

bcstanding wrote:
haanm wrote:

I'm in the same boat with this. I run azap first to confirm that the card is working, but the mythsetup says it can't open /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0...

remember to STOP the mythbackend BEFORE you start the mythsetup !!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Flyboy917

ches wrote:
I've actually got this working: FC3 with CVS mythtv, and HD3000 pulling DVB channels
off the air from the NYC area......

Sweet! Exactly what I was looking for!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Flyboy917

ches wrote:
off the air from the NYC area.

The myth scan for DVB channels returns useful information, but the channel names don't match,
so this information has to be transferred over, which is why I spent a good part of today getting the hang of mysql and mysql-browser. What is (sortof) working for me are the following table entries:

mysql> SELECT chanid,channum,freqid,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,mplexid,serviceid,atscsrcid FROM `channel` where sourceid=2;
| chanid | channum | freqid | sourceid | callsign | name | xmltvid | mplexid | serviceid | atscsrcid |
| 2014 | 4_1 | 28-1 | 2 | WNBCDT | WNBCDT (WNBC-DT) | 20459 | 23 | 3 | 2 |
| 2015 | 4_2 | 28-2 | 2 | WNBCDT2 | WNBCDT2 (WNBC-DT2) | 44936 | 23 | 4 | 1 |
| 2016 | 5_1 | 44-1 | 2 | WNYWDT | WNYWDT (WNYW-DT) | 20360 | 32 | 3 | 3 |
| 2017 | 2_1 | 56-1 | 2 | WCBSDT | WCBSDT (WCBS-DT) | 16689 | 37 | 1 | 1 |
| 2018 | 5_2 | 44-2 | 2 | WNYWDT2 | WNYWDT2 (WNYW-DT2) | 30763 | 32 | 4 | 4 |
| 2019 | 7_1 | 45-1 | 2 | WABCDT | WABCDT (WABC-DT) | 20453 | NULL | NULL | NULL |
| 2020 | 9_1 | 38-1 | 2 | WWORDT | WWORDT (WWOR-DT) | 26566 | 32 | 4 | 4 |
| 2021 | 11_1 | 33-1 | 2 | WPIXDT | WPIXDT (WPIX-DT) | 20373 | 27 | 3 | 3 |

the mplexid, serviceid, and atscsrcid were copied into these fields with commands like:

update channel set mplexid=27,serviceid=3,atscsrcid=3 where chanid=2021;

The correct values came from the channel entries generated by the mythtv DVB scan.
I deleted those non-functioning entries after extracting this information with:

delete from channel where chanid=2041;

Now I am getting actual HDTV signals from several stations. Signal is varying and poor, and the mythfrontend crashes on CBS and NBC's signals (1080i) but handles WYNW's 720i.
So, more Saturday fun hunting these down.

Do you have any tricks to get channel icons into the database?
mythfilldatabase --import-icon-map iconmap.xml --update-icon-map
looks like it works on the surface...but there are no icons in the database or within myth.
ON-air signals didn't give me useful HDTV, so tried cable
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
ches

I am thrity miles from NYC, and the giant pre-cable antenna in the attic ought to be able
to pick up on-air signals well, but I never got a watchably-consistent HDTV signal
from any channel.

So I've tried connecting to the QAM256 channels on Patriot media. I am getting powerful signals, but stil can't get a clean HDTV show. The audio and video break up almost continuously with dropouts, with teh AMD3400 running at half utilization.

I am beginning to wonder if the problem is in the HD3000. Ive been trying to get HDTV working since last December. Learned a lot of linux....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Nechushtan

did u create a channels.conf from atscscan and use azap along with mplayer to test? I did this and found that my card is working fine, its getting all the recording software to work thats the trouble...

hd3000 dvb setup in mythtv
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card