pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> hd3000 dvb setup in mythtv Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
mplayer is working better than mythtv
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
ches

good point. The azap/mplayer is is nearly watchable, even on the 1080i stuff that I have
never seen on myth. Myth gives black screens for 1080i stuff, and
sometimes shows the 720p. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Geo

Hi,

I'm using the HD3000 for OTA (my cable company has few HD channels on QAM) and I am having issues as well. I got the card working, set up my card as DVB- set the 50-udev.rules to allow myth group- added the card to the slave backend- added a HDTV video source to the master backend- filled the database- used mythweb to adjust the channels- and got the card to work, sort of.

THe card is viewed by all the front ends but when I switch to the card the screen goes black for a few seconds then drops me back to the menu. I can see (on the terminal window) RemoteFile:: openSocket (control socket): Could not connect to server "" @ port -1. Now the card DOES work if I launch a front end on the slavebackend machine!! THe error only occures when it is opened by a front end machine that does not have the card localy loaded. When I used mythweb to check the front end (http://ipoflocalmachine:6544) I can see all the cards on the masterbackend and the hd3000 card on the slave. Anyone have any thoughts here? I've put about 50 hours into the setup of this card already.
Re: Issues with slave backend
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quote
ches

[quote="Geo"]Hi,

THe card is viewed by all the front ends but when I switch to the card the screen goes black for a few seconds then drops me back to the menu. I can see (on the terminal window) RemoteFile::
[/quote]

I now have the card pretty much working with Mythtv. This blank, suspenseful screen is what myth does when it is watiing for the channel to lock. If you change channels, you see this again, and after about 5 changes, the front end hangs. My slave and master are both on the same machines, so I guess I can't help much here.

[quote]
I've put about 50 hours into the setup of this card already.[/quote]

Piker! I started on this project last december. Got Myth and linux working pretty well in a couple of weekends, but only watched my first HDTV show a week ago. I spent a lot of nights and weekends battling bleeding-edge software, dated documentation, and some misconceptions on my part.

I might even try running from OTA channels now that it is mostly working. (Current problem: on 1080i channels the AMD 3400 runs at 90% capacity, with a load average of 3, and it tends to drop chunks of audio and video, enough so the show isn't watchable. The problem is tolerable on 720p broadcasts. Sure looks nice when it works.
[/quote]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:40 am Reply with quote
ches

I gave up on the OTA channels, though I had strong signals. I was using the big honkin' 1970s-style antenna in the attic of the house, which has to got though the wall and a lot of trees to see the signal. It occurred to me that my cable provider probably had secret digital local content, so I switched to azap/mplayer to find them. (The cable system doesn't transmit complete or correct PSECT(?) info, so I had to figure out which channels were which.)

I had to feed the channels.conf into mythtv-setup, which got some of the data like serviceid wrong, then use mysql to insert the correct values.

Now, 720p works pretty well with occasional dropouts (watchable.) 1080i gets too many dropouts to really be watchable, and the system is consuming my whole 3400 AMD. So I am waiting for myth improvements, or work on some performance tuning. What HDTV I have watched has been gorgeous, and a nice reward for nearly a year of spare-time hacking.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card