Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search pcHDTV Forum Index
pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers -> ANNOUNCE: pcHDTV 2000 & 3000 drivers included in the ker Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
ANNOUNCE: pcHDTV 2000 & 3000 drivers included in the ker
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:06 pm Reply with quote
HDTV buff
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
Location: Maryland, USA




* The drivers for pcHDTV 3000 have been merged in the vanilla kernel 2.6.12-rc1 or later.

* The drivers for pcHDTV 2000 will be included in 2.6.12-rc2.

pcHDTV 2000 drivers are now in the latest kernel bk snapshot. You can download the latest snapshot from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/ . Disclaimer: Snapshots are produced without human intervention. They don't always compile cleanly. I would recommend that you wait for 2.6.12-rc2, unless you like to live on the edge. Smile

In addition, the firmware is also directly downloadable from linuxtv.org (in addition to pchdtv.com's website). Kernel includes a utility to download (and verify) it.

Code:

# Download the firmware for pcHDTV 2000
perl <kernel source>/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51211

# Download the firmware for pcHDTV 3000
perl <kernel source>/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51132_qam
perl <kernel source>/Documentation/dvb/get_dvb_firmware or51132_vsb


If anyone had problems compiling or installing the drivers. You can just put them to bed. From now on if you can compile a vanilla kernel, you will have the pcHDTV drivers.

-HDTV Buff
View user's profile Send private message
please post step by step for 2.6.12
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




I just finished the 2.6.11 kernel update from fedora updates, testing files...It spoon fed it to the machine for me, and i was ready to start over.
now how, where, and what does one do to get the 2.6.12 that is not anywhere on the fedora core 3 files? I don't understand cvs and stuff to well yet...

at this point i have a reformatted fresh install of core 3, and 2.6.11.etc. I am going to wait a few hours before trying to figure out how to install/patch 2.6.12...
In the meantime any way to get this config up with a few lines would help others out, and may be all I need.

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
Re: please post step by step for 2.6.12
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:10 pm Reply with quote
HDTV buff
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
Location: Maryland, USA




Jim wrote:
I just finished the 2.6.11 kernel update from fedora updates, testing files...It spoon fed it to the machine for me, and i was ready to start over.
now how, where, and what does one do to get the 2.6.12 that is not anywhere on the fedora core 3 files? I don't understand cvs and stuff to well yet...

at this point i have a reformatted fresh install of core 3, and 2.6.11.etc. I am going to wait a few hours before trying to figure out how to install/patch 2.6.12...
In the meantime any way to get this config up with a few lines would help others out, and may be all I need.


Actually 2.6.12 is not out yet. Technically it does not exist. The most current revision is 2.6.11. The latest release candidate is 2.6.12-rc1 (release candidate 1). Linus will probably do a couple of release candidates before the final release.

You can expect 2.6.12 to be out by late May or Early June 2005. Distributions genrally take another month or so to ship the "latest" kernel.

Therefore, if you want to be "spoon fed", then you will have to wait until July or August.

Wanna wait that long?

If not, then you have a couple of options:
1) Locate an rpm repository that keeps up-to-date kernels (Google is your friend).
2) Compile your own kernel rpm .

Compiling the kernel is fairly strait forward:
1) Download 2.6.12-rc1 from kernel.org
2) type "make rpm" (to create an rpm of the downloaded kernel).

I believe that is it. I don't use Fedora, therefore, I am going by memory. Perhaps someone more fluent in Fedora could correct me on that one.

-HDTV Buff
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




don't "need" to be spoon fed, and this is an expendable install, so I am willing to try anything without fear of losing an important running computer.

I need steps that may be so common to you that you don't notice the holes in my knowledge (or my head).

OK, I can find the file i'm sure I even have it locally lately. I am confused as to how to untar it, where to put it, where when to run ./configure, make, make install, what is udev,.
I like learning this stuff, but never do I see what I need in my Debian/mandrake/redhat/ book collections.

Bottom line: once I get the file tell me how to untar (xvfz? or what) and compile/install etc.

Said I was a noobie, ignorant (intelligent but uninformed) on linux intricacies. Thanks.

***update, can't find pchdtv firmware stuff on linuxtv yet...

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:31 pm Reply with quote
HDTV buff
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
Location: Maryland, USA




No Problemo,

Here is your howto on how to install the drivers for pcHDTV 3000.

If you have pcHDTV 2000, then you will have to wait a week or so for 2.6.12-rc2.

Just save and run this script. It will do everything for you.

Code:

# Download the firmware
mkdir -p /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware
cd /usr/lib/hotplug
wget http://pchdtv.com/downloads/firmware.tar.gz
tar zxf firmware.tar.gz
rm -f firmware.tar.gz

# Download and install the kernel
mkdir -p /usr/src/download/kernel
cd /usr/src/download/kernel
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/testing/patch-2.6.12-rc1.bz2

tar jxf linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2
mv linux-2.6.11 linux-2.6.12-rc1
cd linux-2.6.12-rc1

wget http://freepages.iqsystems.net/~ikhan/linux/linux-2.6.12-rc1.config
mv linux-2.6.12-rc1.config .config

cat ../patch-2.6.12-rc1.bz2 | bunzip2 | patch -p1

chown -R root.root .

make rpm

echo The following rpms have been produced by the script . . .
ls -al /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.12*.rpm
ls -al /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/kernel-2.6.12*.rpm

cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

echo Installing OS Kernel `ls kernel-2.6.12*.rpm  | sort  | tail -n 1` . . .
rpm -ivh `ls kernel-2.6.12*.rpm  | sort  | tail -n 1`



This will create your rpms and install the kernel on redhat distributions. Slight modifications will be required for redhat based distributions (such as SuSE). For those distributions, you will have modify some of the paths.

Have fun!

-HDTV Buff


Last edited by HDTV buff on Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




see? just save and run this script..LOL
Guess I have a blind spot for how to run a script, I was told once on aim a couple months ago, but this 50's mind is weak. Thanks..still I will try to figure out how to do it.

***update as i type, i just cut the above lines and pasted them to a terminal prompt and it is "scripting" it i guess..see you can't talk down to me far enough, i welcome it.

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
not yet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




get to the end line and type rpm -ivh kernel_rpm_file and i get:
error: open of kernel_rpm_file failed: No such file or directory

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




rather than cut and paste.. maybe i'll do clean install again and type each of your lines in in a terminal window...plodding along...

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
Re: not yet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
HDTV buff
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
Location: Maryland, USA




Jim wrote:
get to the end line and type rpm -ivh kernel_rpm_file and i get:
error: open of kernel_rpm_file failed: No such file or directory

Jim,

I think you are well intentioned. I just don't think this linux thing is for you. Don't take it personally, you are not comfortable with even the most rudementary scripting. Or to be precise, you don't understand the principles behind these commands. That would be why something works the way it does.

When I said to type rpm -ivh kernel_rpm_file, I did not mean it literary. If I knew the name of the file, I would have pluged it into the script. The file name changes each time you run that script.

I went as far as printing the name of the compiled rpm onto the screen. That way, you would know what to substitute for the rpm file name.

Here is the code that will figure out and install the latest kernel
Code:
cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
rpm -ivh `ls kernel-2.6.12*.rpm  | sort  | tail -n 1`


My recomendation is that you switch platforms to Windows and use a commercial package.

Best of luck with MythTV. You will need it.

-HDTV Buff
View user's profile Send private message
Re: not yet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Guest
 




My recomendation is that you switch platforms to Windows and use a commercial package. wrote:


Evil or Very Mad hmmmmm! Evil or Very Mad
commercial product to run pchdtv on windows?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Jim
 
Joined: 01 Mar 2005
Posts: 88
Location: Greater Portland ME joined jan'05




Wow I never was able to google much on the windows side, think i'll configure for dual boot/alternate drive this weekend. Thanks! What commercial product is available? Wallet ready and able.

_________________
Stars Up, Lights Down... International Darksky Association... Be a good neighbor, shield/turn off your lights.
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Guest
 




HDTV buff

I followed exactly all the steps on your scripts. Very Happy
It worked fine, but i dont see my kernel listed in the grup file.
How do I select the kernel 12rc1 to boot from?

Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Guest
 




Anonymous wrote:
HDTV buff

I followed exactly all the steps on your scripts. Very Happy
It worked fine, but i dont see my kernel listed in the grup file.
How do I select the kernel 12rc1 to boot from?

Thanks


Follow:
http://www.xmission.com/~pchdtv/forum/viewtopic.php?t=650
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote
JohnE
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 8




I followed the excellent install script. But I am also not able to run the new kernel. I looked in /boot and I found:
[mythtv@localhost ~]$ ls -ll /boot
total 10093
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54577 Feb 8 10:21 config-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54707 Mar 4 11:55 config-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41464 Mar 31 21:36 config-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50929 Nov 2 14:53 config-2.6.9-1.667
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Mar 29 20:04 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 394738 Mar 29 19:55 initrd-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 583165 Mar 29 20:04 initrd-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 397284 Mar 29 19:17 initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Mar 29 14:15 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 730602 Feb 8 10:21 System.map-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 730602 Mar 4 11:55 System.map-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 860413 Mar 31 21:36 System.map-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714266 Nov 2 14:53 System.map-2.6.9-1.667
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1460434 Feb 8 10:21 vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1460810 Mar 4 11:55 vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1309826 Mar 31 21:36 vmlinuz-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1405861 Nov 2 14:53 vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667

Notice that initrd-2.6.12-rc1.img is missing. Isn't this a problem? The grub.conf script I created doesn't work because there is no initrd.


Last edited by JohnE on Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quote
HDTV buff
 
Joined: 02 Mar 2005
Posts: 114
Location: Maryland, USA




JohnE wrote:
I followed the excellent install script. But I am also not able to run the new kernel. I looked in /boot and I found:
[mythtv@localhost ~]$ ls -ll /boot
total 10093
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54577 Feb 8 10:21 config-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 54707 Mar 4 11:55 config-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 41464 Mar 31 21:36 config-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 50929 Nov 2 14:53 config-2.6.9-1.667
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Mar 29 20:04 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 394738 Mar 29 19:55 initrd-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 583165 Mar 29 20:04 initrd-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 397284 Mar 29 19:17 initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img

drwx------ 2 root root 12288 Mar 29 14:15 lost+found
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 730602 Feb 8 10:21 System.map-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 730602 Mar 4 11:55 System.map-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 860413 Mar 31 21:36 System.map-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 714266 Nov 2 14:53 System.map-2.6.9-1.667
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1460434 Feb 8 10:21 vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.760_12.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1460810 Mar 4 11:55 vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1309826 Mar 31 21:36 vmlinuz-2.6.12-rc1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1405861 Nov 2 14:53 vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667

Notice that initrd-2.6.12-rc1.img is missing. Isn't this a problem? The grub.conf script I created doesn't work because there is no initrd.


The problem is simple, the kernel is compiled, but not installed on your machine.

The script only compiles the kernel. It did not install the kernel. The reasons for that is that I just don't like to install an operating system kernel using the script.

In any case, you can type this (on redhat based distributions) to install the kernel:

Code:
cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
echo Installing OS Kernel `ls kernel-2.6.12*.rpm  | sort  | tail -n 1` . . .
rpm -ivh `ls kernel-2.6.12*.rpm  | sort  | tail -n 1`


I am also going to edit my earlier post so it auto-installs the kernel.

-HDTV Buff
View user's profile Send private message
ANNOUNCE: pcHDTV 2000 & 3000 drivers included in the ker
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HD-2000/3000 drivers
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 7 Hours  
Page 1 of 7  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2003 phpBB Group
Theme created by Vjacheslav Trushkin