pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> HDTV programming and listings -> encrypted HD channels
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
encrypted HD channels
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:49 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

One thing I'm not clear about is what I'll need to receive encrypted HD channels from the Cable. If I subcribe to digital cable, I'll be provided with a STB that can decrypt signals. But does this STB decrypt HD channels too, so that I can receive with the tuner card? Or I'll have to rent, for $5/month, a "HD-enabled" STB from my cable company. From my understanding, this "HD-enabled" STB has a tuner itself.

For now, I'm only receiving retransmitted local HD channels through my basic, non-digital cable.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

You will never be able to receive encrypted channels with the HD-3000.

The cable HDTV STB is not a tuner. It is a complete receiver with video outputs that go directly to an HDTV display. You might be able to record from its Firewire output but it will not talk to most devices (it's intended for a D-VHS recorder).
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:21 am Reply with quote

Scott Larson wrote:
You will never be able to receive encrypted channels with the HD-3000.

The cable HDTV STB is not a tuner. It is a complete receiver with video outputs that go directly to an HDTV display. You might be able to record from its Firewire output but it will not talk to most devices (it's intended for a D-VHS recorder).

How about running those cables to the HD3k?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Outputs from my hd cable box are hdmi / dvi or component video.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Outputs from my hd cable box are hdmi / dvi or component video.

opps didn't finish.

there is also a rf connector but the channels seemed encrypted. If i could somehow connect the dvi or component cable output to one of the connectors on the hd3k then I could record whatever data the cable box is currently on.

does anyone know of a way to connect dvi or component video output of the cable box to the 3k card? I would assume there might be a dvi or component to svideo adapter somewhere but there may be a better way.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

If you check the HD-3000 product page you'll see there are no DVI or component connectors on the card. That's because the HD-3000 receives ATSC and QAM radio signals and converts them into MPEG-2 streams. It and can also receive NTSC analog video more or less but that's a separate function of the card.

You have to understand that the HD-3000 knows absolutely nothing about video. It doesn't even know what it's receiving could be translated into video, just that it's turning a radio signal into a stream of bytes.
encrypted HD channels
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> HDTV programming and listings