pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Freevo + pcHDTV = Good Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
Re: can freevo do backend/frontend ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:54 pm Reply with quote

dorphell wrote:
photonwave wrote:
So, does the current version support a DVB interface to the pcHDTV card?

Yes, also been said before. Since Freevo uses MPlayer (or Xine) externally to play dvb TV, as long as you have it working in mplayer, which is working 100% with the pcHDTV card, it will work in freevo

Well if Freevo supports it because mplayer can play it, that's the same argument for Myth, it'll support anything mplayer can play.. but Mythtv has native support for the dvb/atsc drivers so it can do the full record/commflag/playback just like the wintv cards.
Re: can freevo do backend/frontend ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
dorphell

Guest wrote:
Well if Freevo supports it because mplayer can play it, that's the same argument for Myth, it'll support anything mplayer can play.. but Mythtv has native support for the dvb/atsc drivers so it can do the full record/commflag/playback just like the wintv cards.

The difference as I said is stability. MythTV is a segfaulting MACHINE! What more do you need to know?

As for recording (and what's "commflag"?) freevo let's you set the recording command to whatever you like, so you have complete control over what is executed.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote

freevo is nice. tried it...but not that great

Myth IMHO is very stable. Never seen the segfaults you were talking about.

commflag: flag out commercials so you can skip them.

If I had to make a comparison:

Freevo is for the novice kinda like using MS Works

MythTV is for the power user kinda like using MS Office
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:27 am Reply with quote

as any programmer knows...having a product tied together with SCRIPTS is not neccesarily a good thing.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Miguel

I've not tried Freevo yet, but what dorpell says makes a lot of sense.

I've tried MythTV and it did crash a bunch of times in 0.17 in several different reproduce ways.

I will try Freevo this weekend and see if I want to switch

-M
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
dorphell

Guest wrote:
freevo is nice. tried it...but not that great

I doubt you've tried it.

Guest wrote:
Myth IMHO is very stable. Never seen the segfaults you were talking about.

Look around, practically everyone has seen myth segfault. If you wanna deny it and pretend you haven't, fine, the rest of us have proof.

Guest wrote:
If I had to make a comparison:

Freevo is for the novice kinda like using MS Works
MythTV is for the power user kinda like using MS Office

See.. this is why I don't even think you tried Freevo. That analogy is so incorrect, the only way you could have come up with it is if you've never used Freevo. If you would have given it a fair try, you would see it's not inferior in features. I don't think you can name 3 features that exist in MythTV but not in Freevo. Try.

Guest wrote:
as any programmer knows...having a product tied together with SCRIPTS is not neccesarily a good thing.

That is a vague, dumb, and ambiguous statement. It says nothing but show you have nothing wise to say. This is like saying "People who live in England may or may not know English" -- A waste of words

Now, assuming you were trying to say that Freevo is "not a good thing" because it uses a scripting language to connect to external components so the user can customize Freevo to his/her liking -- well then, you're just ignorant. Sorry if this came off as an insult, sometimes the truth hurts.
Lets not have a flame war
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
HDTV buff

Guys (and girls),

I think opensource is big enough to have more then one Personal Video Recorder.

There are good and bad things with both products. I don't think any flaming will "convert" anyone from one to other.

Therefore, lets just agree that this thread is for freevo advocacy.

If someone wants to start a thread for Myhtv advocacy, then please by all means start a new thread.

I may not use freevo, but I can certainly respect others that do. I hope every one will show the same respect to others.

-HDTV Buff
Re: Lets not have a flame war
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote

HDTV buff wrote:
Guys (and girls),

I think opensource is big enough to have more then one Personal Video Recorder.

There are good and bad things with both products. I don't think any flaming will "convert" anyone from one to other.

Therefore, lets just agree that this thread is for freevo advocacy.

If someone wants to start a thread for Myhtv advocacy, then please by all means start a new thread.

I may not use freevo, but I can certainly respect others that do. I hope every one will show the same respect to others.

-HDTV Buff

AMEN, soon after the 3rd post this thread became pointless.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:59 am Reply with quote

wow people like to make personal attacks. I think everyone is entitled to have an opinion...and there will always be FAN BOYS for all product - be it if they are superior or not.

freevo and myth are both good products with their flaws. Pick and choose whatever works best for you....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote

dorphell,
have some questions, since you seem to know freevo

can freevo support simultaneous recordings of different shows on multiple tuners?

from reading docs, i believe freevo uses an extermal app to watch live TV (?). Does this support time shifting , pauses etc?

are there any scheduling options that will "expire" a show? I record a daily show and only need to keep maybe just the last 5 days worth.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Anonymous wrote:
freevo and myth are both good products with their flaws. Pick and choose whatever works best for you....

Or choose neither and do everything with the at command and cheesy scripts, like I'm doing. Very Happy
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:52 am Reply with quote
dorphell

Guest wrote:
can freevo support simultaneous recordings of different shows on multiple tuners?
Not directly, but since it lets you use whatever you like to record, you can write a small 10-line script that does this quite easily.

Guest wrote:
from reading docs, i believe freevo uses an extremal app to watch live TV (?). Does this support timeshifting , pauses etc?

Freevo does support time shifting but I've not configured timeshifting yet, there are timeshifting config options though so I'm sure it's possible.

Guest wrote:
are there any scheduling options that will "expire" a show? I record a daily show and only need to keep maybe just the last 5 days worth.

No there's no way to schedule a deletion automatically but you can delete files directly from Freevo if you enable file-ops. If you do want it automated, you can write a simple python plugin for this in 15 minutes. Python is an easy language to learn and the plugin would be mostly copying and pasting from another plugin and adding a few lines.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote

Wow, the post above makes it sound like freevo can't do anything that makes Mythtv great... unless you write it yourself. Now the truth comes out!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
dorphell

Guest wrote:
Freevo can't do anything that makes Mythtv great... unless you write it yourself. Now the truth comes out!

You picked 2 very SMALL features.. I can list a dozen small features which freevo has and myth does not, and then several big ones.. but I won't, i'm putting out this fire now. You're acting like a child, flaming as "Guest" in order to protect your real identity so people won't treat you as the fool you are. You've been asked to stop flaming twice now, just stop!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Scott Larson

Wouldn't someone have already written those scripts for Freevo by now since multiple tuners and automatic deletion are commonly-used features in Myth?
Freevo + pcHDTV = Good
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card