pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card -> Freevo + pcHDTV = Good Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Blue Saturday

Anonymous wrote:
as any programmer knows...having a product tied together with SCRIPTS is not neccesarily a good thing.

Bah. Some entire apps are being written in Python these days. Take the "Nicotine" client for the SoulSeek p2p system, for example.

I've been using freevo for years, but, here's the thing, Not as a PVR.

I own two tivos (one down) and a (very crappy, don't buy one) dishnetwork satellite recorder. I have all the PVR i need and all the PVR i can stand.

I was a very early TiVo adopter. I've already worn out one set of harddrives. I really like the tivo ui, and every linux PVR ui I've seen looks like poop compared to it. Sorry, but they do.

I use freevo as a jukebox. It's good at it. I have a mobile athlon-xp 1600+ in an astoundingly quiet 2U case. plays my music, recorded movies, etc, really well. I'm using DirectFB out through an old Matrox G400-DH to an entry level 34" CRT SDTV, and the on-screen quality of a well encoded divx file is comprable to most sub-$100 DVD players.

It's totally stable and easily configured and customized.

But now I'm starting to play with this HD stuff. Currently the HDTiVo that's available is a DirecTV receiver that retails for $1000 and will not be compatible with the HD services that DirecTV is currently deploying. I think the affordability of the next-gen, mpeg4 HDDirecTiVo is probably a couple years out. When it costs $600 I'll buy it.

I've been on the freevo-users mailing list for years, and frankly it doesn't sound like they really have the time shifting thing worked out to my satisfaction.

I'm used to the tivo way of doing things - a half hour ring buffer, press pause or rewind at any moment and it'll just work. It really doesn't sound like freevo is anywhere near that.

I'm well aware of the complexity of the problem to be solved (I *work at a company that writes digital media software), but I'm also a consumer who wants his next PVR to be as good as his tivo and his next car to be as good as his volkswagen and i make no apologies for feeling that way about it.

Then again, I've never used MythTV.

I'm also kinda starting to like the idea of what the Myth developers are trying to do, with regard to it becoming an all-encompassing digital appliance.

Right now, the HD-3000 is installed in the Athlon64 upstairs. I figure it will probably stay there.

Short term, I'd like to set up a PVR system for casual use that can run as a window on my regular X desktop for that card. I don't have an HD display yet, so there's no point in breaking the freevo configuration so that it can receive streams that it can't display.

I haven't decided whether to try and set up another copy of freevo or set up myth for that.

Ultimately, I'd like to see the back end, recording portion of whatever PVR i use running on both the Athlon64 - possibly converting HD streams to mpeg4 in the background - and on the htpc as well, which will have an old bt878 tuner card in it.

ultimately I'll get an HD display and replace the G400 in the htpc with an fx5200.

I'd like to seamlessly access recordings on either box from the front end on either box.

Ultimately, it's still going to be 2nd banana to the tivo, until it starts being easier to use than the tivo. I'm sure i'll be able to figure out either freevo or myth for this scenario, but honestly, sometimes you just want to watch tv.

I think of it like i think of my first car - fiat spider 124. the spider is Great Fun, but it's very hands-on and there's no fancy 'lectronics or marshmallow suspension insulating you from the reality of a lot of metal moving down the road. Doesn't even have power steering. Every now and then you have to pull over and adjust the carburetor.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Miguel

Blue Saturday wrote:
Anonymous wrote:
as any programmer knows...having a product tied together with SCRIPTS is not neccesarily a good thing.

Bah. Some entire apps are being written in Python these days. Take the "Nicotine" client for the SoulSeek p2p system, for example.

Agreed, that was a stupid comment he made.

Blue Saturday wrote:
But now I'm starting to play with this HD stuff. Currently the HDTiVo that's available is a DirecTV receiver that retails for $1000 and will not be compatible with the HD services that DirecTV is currently deploying. I think the affordability of the next-gen, mpeg4 HDDirecTiVo is probably a couple years out. When it costs $600 I'll buy it.

I've been on the freevo-users mailing list for years, and frankly it doesn't sound like they really have the time shifting thing worked out to my satisfaction.

I'm used to the tivo way of doing things - a half hour ring buffer, press pause or rewind at any moment and it'll just work. It really doesn't sound like freevo is anywhere near that.

I can see how you want a "lazyboy's" PVR, who doesn't? A PVR that "just works". However, the reason I [and almost everyone else here] bought this pcHDTV card is because I can't stand being held "behind bars" by a propietary PVR. It works pretty nicely out of the box, but if you want to change something more, forget it.

I like having full control over my PVR, I want to know exactly what's being executed when I schedule a recording. I want to have the power to set every variable that affects my recording. (e.g. bitrates, codecs, filters, etc) .. and sooner or later, when broadcast flag will gets put into practice, do you think TiVo Corp. will ignore it? No, you'll be robbed of your entertainment.

Additionally, as you mentioned this is a $1000 unit. With storage being so cheap these days, I can build a 600gb HDTV PVR (with freevo or myth) for under 500 USD.

As for freevo not supporting time-shifting... I don't know if you've actaully "read" anything that's been posted onto the mailing list for the past few years that you say you've been on there, but it's been implemented in sevearl different ways, some more practical than others, but for analog TV, there are 2 good implementations (in patch form) of an mplayer ringbuffer similar to what you described.
Freevo + pcHDTV = Good
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> mythTV wiith the HD-2000 card