pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> WMCE 2005 setup
WMCE 2005 setup
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
d0rp

I decided to try out WMCE 2005 to be able to use my HTPC through my xbox 360. Everything was working fine with Myth, but I can't seem to get my hd5500 working with windows media center.

The setup detects and installs my Hauppauge PVR 500 just fine (and the video is much cleaner for some reason -- perhaps a driver issue), but I can't seem to get it to recognize my HDTV tuner. I installed the windows drivers from the CD (downloaded the latest copy), and it appeared to work, but its just not being picked up by the media center software.

Anyone know if there is some additional setup that I need to perform to get it working?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Try another windows application. I use BeyondTV on my WMCE box. You can download a 30 day free trial of it.

http://www.snapstream.com/download/beyondtv/default.asp

I don't have a HD-5500, but I think that it worked with my HD-3000.

There also is the open source Media Portal application. There is a thread regarding using that somewhere in this forum. It was continued in the Media Portal forum. If you are interested, I can find them for you.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I found the threads that talk about using the HD-5500 with Media Portal.

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1874

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/pchdtv_5500_mp_help-t14693.html

It was originally not configured to work with the HD- 5500. There is a new version, try it first, before doing what the threads say.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
d0rp

I'll give that a try to make sure the drivers are set up properly, but if I can't get it working with WMCE then there's no use for me (because the whole idea was to have just my xbox 360 hooked up to the projector/speakers -- no switching cables). If I can't get it to work properly, I'll just go back to MythTV.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
d0rp

I installed Beyond TV and ran through the setup wizard. I was able to set up, preview (and later use in the program) both tuners from my analog Hauppauge card, as well as the analog channels from the HD5500, but I wasn't able to get the digital channels. The program recognizes the digital tuner, but when it scans for channels, it doesn't get anything. I know the antenna and card are okay, because they were working with Myth, and I haven't changed anything about the hardware setup.

The only thing that I have been able to come up with so far, is that the instructions for installing the driver in windows (from the CD) show 9 different devices that should be set up, but I only have 4 of them. I'm guessing that somehow windows isn't recognizing those portions of the card (or it somehow loaded other drivers for them and I don't know what they are).

I guess I'll have to try removing the card and then replacing it to see if windows sets it up properly the second time.

Any other suggestions?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

You can go into the windows device manager and manually install the drivers. You can get to it by this route:
Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Device Manager

Are there any yellow question marks? That means drivers are not installed for a device. You can re-install drivers for any device by right-clicking and selecting "update driver" When it asks you where the driver is located, point it to the driver that you think is the correct one.

I don't know which driver is for which part of the card. You will have to figure that out. The drivers named "BDA" are usually for digital tuners.

Paul

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
d0rp

Well, that was my problem, there weren't any yellow question marks or "unknown" devices in the device manager, which is what made me think that either windows isn't seeing those, or it installed them as something completely different.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:51 am Reply with quote
d0rp

I was finally able to get the card to work last night. I removed all of the devices for both tuner cards I had, then yanked out the hd5500 and started it up again. It installed my Hauppauge card, and then I shut it down and put the HD5500 back in. It installed the 4 devices that I had before, but also installed 3 more "Hauppauge" devices. I had to manually go in and "Update driver" and specify the exact file off of the CD for each of those three, and then it worked.
WMCE 2005 setup
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup