pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd -> Creating .deb package for Ubuntu (almost there!)
Creating .deb package for Ubuntu (almost there!)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
TrinitronX

Are these patches available in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex packages for libxine?
From looking at the source code, I do not see any patches called xine-lib-hd in the debian/patches directory.

Assuming it's not in there, I've been trying to make an attempt at compiling these patches into the latest libxine source code as distributed on archive.ubuntu.org.

I've gotten pretty far into learning how to put in patches the "Debian way" using dpatch, and have managed to convert the "xine-lib-hd.patch" distributed with the CD for my pcHDTV 5500 card. It is now in dpatch format, however it does not apply cleanly to stock source. My end goal is to create a nice .deb package for this version of xine with the DVB support patch. This will be mostly for personal use, but I wouldn't mind releasing it as an unofficial debian package for those ubuntu users out there having troubles compiling this (in my experience xine is VERY difficult to compile if you don't have the right dependencies, headers, and a version of the source that will definitely compile on current ubuntu).

I had problems compiling the old xine version distributed on the cd due to libflac, deprecated dependencies such as "xlibs-dev" (now all separated out from the old transitional metapackage).
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
TrinitronX

Due to strange posting problems on this forum when trying to post my steps ("Service Temporarily Unavailable"), I have posted what I've done so far to a pastebin.

Here's the steps taken so far toward packaging:
http://slexy.org/view/s2sicrJz8n

Here's the failed patch log:
http://slexy.org/view/s2QOtKWsKV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
TrinitronX

Upon a much closer inspection, it seems that the latest source cooresponding to the package of libxine1 in Ubuntu right now (1.1.15-0ubuntu3) may already have the patches!

After going in and hand merging some of the failed hunks using emacs' amazing "diff-mode", I made another (freshly diff'ed) patch myself off of that version of the source that I had tried to place the patch on top of. A couple of the hunks in one of the files seemed strangely to already be there, and did not require patching. However, the first two files seemed like they were unpatched in that version of the code. I was still unsure up to this point on whether libxine had all of the changes in the patch already or not.

Next, I did a fresh clean: "apt-get source libxine1", and it went ahead and grabbed the current Ubuntu source (which apparently the other more recent sounding version I got in my previous post was most likely the experimental unstable version for Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope"). I ran dpatch to apply all patches to this version, and then tried to place my freshly made patch onto this. This time, every hunk failed, saying that it had already been patched! So perhaps this entire thing was unnecessary, however now I guess I know for sure. I did a clean install of libxine, and it seems that DVB input is indeed supported out of box.

I guess this goes to show that you should always try the .deb first and see if it's got what you need, and then start jumping into the source if not. It had seemed from my initial research that the Ubuntu packages might not have had the patches in, but I guess now (2008) they are!

At least now I know how to make a .deb package in much more detail now Very Happy
Creating .deb package for Ubuntu (almost there!)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> xine-hd