pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> It's been addressed 1,000 times already...
It's been addressed 1,000 times already...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
strummin4christ

...but I STILL (after a week of all my spare time) cannot get mythtv set up correctly. I am a total linux noob, so please bear with me.

Just set my box up with FC7 and the latest mythtv install. Installed my pcHDTV-5500 card. After initially having no video, I am finally able to get video in tvtime, but not in mythtv. In addition, no audio in mythtv.

Here is an output of dmesg during boot:

hda_codec: Unknown model for ALC662, trying auto-probe from BIOS...
cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.6 loaded
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKB] enabled at IRQ 19
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ
CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetec
ted]
TV tuner 64 at 0x1fe, Radio tuner -1 at 0x1fe
cx2388x cx88-mpeg Driver Manager version 0.0.6 loaded
cx2388x alsa driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:01:07.0, rev: 5, irq: 19, latency: 64, mmio: 0xdf000000
tuner 2-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
tda9887 2-0043: tda988[5/6/7] found @ 0x43 (tuner)
tuner 2-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
tuner 2-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H06xF)
tuner 2-0061: type set to 64 (LG TDVS-H06xF)
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x 8802 Driver Manager
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ
cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5, irq: 19, latency: 64, mmio: 0xdd000000
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.1[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 19 (level, low) -> IRQ
cx88[0]/1: CX88x/0: ALSA support for cx2388x boards
cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx8802_register_driver() ->registering driver type=dvb access=shared
CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47]
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
loop: module loaded
lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
lp0: console ready
DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
DVB: registering frontend 0 (LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM Frontend)...

and here is my modprobe.conf (in which I'm sure I've screwed something up):

alias eth0 forcedeth
alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
alias scsi_hostadapter1 pata_amd
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
#alias snd-card-0 cx88-alsa
options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0
options cx88xx tuner=64
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0

I have set up my card in mythtv-setup as a DVB using the Television input for analog video.

If anyone could provide some direction on what I may be doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks,
Eric
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:27 am Reply with quote
strummin4christ

Okay, so I got audio working and I can get analog video and sound through tvtime, but nothing at all (aside from a pink and green fuzzy picture) in mythtv. My mythtv set-up is as follows:

mythtv-setup:
Type: NTSC
Freq: us-cable

mythbackend:
capture card: pcHDTV-5500
analog options: Television
video source: Cox Cable - Digital
input source: dvb0->v4l->Television->video source

First, let me say that I have a digital lineup through Schedules Direct (even though I'm just trying to tune analog for now) because our living room television is the only one connected to a digital receiver, and that will be the final location of the MythTv box. Right now, I just have coax from the wall to the pcHDTV card.

Anyone see anything wrong with my set-up? Should I have an analog lineup instead of the digital lineup? I cannot fetch channels (at least, it never sets a start channel in MythTv when I click the "fetch channels..." button) and I continually get a "TVRec(0): Start channel invalid..." error message when I start mythbackend.

If anyone could shed some light on what I may be doing wrong I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Eric
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:57 pm Reply with quote
jason52

I'd suggest a separate analog lineup as a starting point. If you still have problems fetching the channel listing, you can always scan for channels. Then maybe click fetch channels when it's done. I seem to remember that's how I got it to work.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:12 am Reply with quote
strummin4christ

Thanks for the response. I finally got everything working last night. I changed my lineup to analog, used the V4L setting in the capture device section of mythtv-setup (instead of pcHDTV dvb), and voila: fetch channels went off without a hitch and I was watching live tv.

Had some problems with audio being out of sync with video, but got that worked out.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the live tv image to correctly fill the screen. It is positioned down and to the right of the top left of the screen. I've tried setting the horizontal and vertical position through the setup, but those controls don't seem to really do anything.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
schmunk

Hello, I am also new to MythTV and installed MythDora. I think my install is on Fedora core 6 though. I use my HD5500 as a QAM tunner. I have it hooked up to comcast basic cable, and live in Oregon. I tried over and over to find these channels, then finally scaned with card set as hirc-cable in mythtv settings, and got 30 or so digital channels. Your card can be set up to do both you know, you set the QAM up as a seperate tunner. I also use a Haup-150 for analog. I have an Sony WEGA standard tv, but the highdef looks great coming in on S-video, like DVD quality.
I too had a lot of trouble with screen size, I first used a 4400Ti, and the nvidia settings had no resize controls, but then I switched to an EVGA FX5200, and swithing from the default linux nvidia driver to the specific 5200 (in mythtv settup) then when I opened up nvidia settings it has the sliders for screen size (overscan) I use an overscan of 13 to have the picture fill the TV (the myth TV overscans just make the picture fit in the GUI frame, but the nvidia controls are the only way I could get the GUI frame to expand. I wish I was smart enought to have this autostart, still playing around with that. I can type nvidia-settings in terminal, and the screen expands to my settings, I just need to figure out how to write a script that starts the program, and where to place it.
Did you have to load an additional driver besides what was already in myth? I still have not figured out how to update the driver! The CD is almost no help, which file, how do I check my core or Fedora edition?My card dies at the end of every one hour show (error message: there was a problem displaying video . . . ), and sometimes does not restart until I reboot. I don't know of any command line to re initialize card. I tried to do the mercurial driver page but couldn't install that either, kept getting errors when i used the installer. I wish I could hire someone to come over and work on it, very frustrating, I spend hours reading and googling for help.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
mk500

One word: KnoppMyth

schmunk wrote:
Hello, I am also new to MythTV and installed MythDora. I think my install is on Fedora core 6 though. I use my HD5500 as a QAM tunner. I have it hooked up to comcast basic cable, and live in Oregon. I tried over and over to find these channels, then finally scaned with card set as hirc-cable in mythtv settings, and got 30 or so digital channels. Your card can be set up to do both you know, you set the QAM up as a seperate tunner. I also use a Haup-150 for analog. I have an Sony WEGA standard tv, but the highdef looks great coming in on S-video, like DVD quality.
I too had a lot of trouble with screen size, I first used a 4400Ti, and the nvidia settings had no resize controls, but then I switched to an EVGA FX5200, and swithing from the default linux nvidia driver to the specific 5200 (in mythtv settup) then when I opened up nvidia settings it has the sliders for screen size (overscan) I use an overscan of 13 to have the picture fill the TV (the myth TV overscans just make the picture fit in the GUI frame, but the nvidia controls are the only way I could get the GUI frame to expand. I wish I was smart enought to have this autostart, still playing around with that. I can type nvidia-settings in terminal, and the screen expands to my settings, I just need to figure out how to write a script that starts the program, and where to place it.
Did you have to load an additional driver besides what was already in myth? I still have not figured out how to update the driver! The CD is almost no help, which file, how do I check my core or Fedora edition?My card dies at the end of every one hour show (error message: there was a problem displaying video . . . ), and sometimes does not restart until I reboot. I don't know of any command line to re initialize card. I tried to do the mercurial driver page but couldn't install that either, kept getting errors when i used the installer. I wish I could hire someone to come over and work on it, very frustrating, I spend hours reading and googling for help.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
schmunk

[quote="mk500"]One word: KnoppMyth

I highly doubt it. I have used Knoppix for years and you have to configure everything you will need before you burn the disc. Real convienent.
It's been addressed 1,000 times already...
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup