pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Can't get sound to synch with video (analog cable)
Can't get sound to synch with video (analog cable)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:12 am Reply with quote
someone777

I have tried LinuxMCE, Mythbuntu and MythDora. In LinuxMCE it wont even detect the card, for the other two I get the exact same problem of the sound coming in through Line In but not being controlled by MythTV.

The only solution I could even really find said to go into AlsaMixer, go to Line In, hit Space (to set as capture but when I do it nothing happens) and hit M (to Mute).

I suppose it doesn't help that this is my first attempt at using Linux. If anyone knows of some kind of guide or something to help me fix this I'd really appreciate it.

If it matters, the specs for my computer are:

CPU: AMD 64X2 4000+
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
2 GB DDR 800 RAM
pcHDTV 5500

I'm using the onboard sound and video.
Re: Can't get sound to synch with video (analog cable)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
jason52

someone777 wrote:
I have tried LinuxMCE, Mythbuntu and MythDora. In LinuxMCE it wont even detect the card, for the other two I get the exact same problem of the sound coming in through Line In but not being controlled by MythTV.

The only solution I could even really find said to go into AlsaMixer, go to Line In, hit Space (to set as capture but when I do it nothing happens) and hit M (to Mute).

I suppose it doesn't help that this is my first attempt at using Linux. If anyone knows of some kind of guide or something to help me fix this I'd really appreciate it.

If it matters, the specs for my computer are:

CPU: AMD 64X2 4000+
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H
2 GB DDR 800 RAM
pcHDTV 5500

I'm using the onboard sound and video.

Are you using it to capture video or tune TV? Since you're using Myth, I'm guessing you're using the TV tuner...
Unless you're using the S-video in, unplug the audio cable and check out the stuff described here: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_TV_audio#Driver_Configuration

Welcome to Linux; google will become your new best (virtual) friend.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
someone777

Thanks. I'll give it a try but I thought the audio cable was needed for standard cable TV.

Edit: You were right. I didn't need the cable at all. I, however, have a new problem. TV, both sound and audio, lags horribly. I'm not sure what I did to cause this though. It didn't lag like this before but I don't think it's related to me removing the cord. I think I remember the video lagging the last time I tried to watch TV(before removing the audio cord).

At this point, it might be easier to just start over and try it without the audio cable than to try to figure out what I did wrong.

Edit: I just solved the lag problem but the sound is horrible. I don't really know how to describe it but it's like a loud digital whining noise or something.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:38 pm Reply with quote
someone777

I'm really not sure where to go from here. It's working but the reception is just awful. I didn't expect it to be great but it should at least be tolerable to watch but it's physically painful to listen to and the video is nearly as bad. It has some thin band of distortion at the top and the picture in general is poor. I already described the sound. The sound was better coming from the Line In port, so I'm guessing it's not entirely the tuner's fault but I really don't know what I can do. When MythTV resizes the TV to show the guide, the image gets completely scrambled.

It's late so I'll probably do some more searching tomorrow.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
someone777

I think the video is ok but the sound is still painful to listen to. I really wish I could think of an accurate way to describe the sound but the best I can come up with is this really loud digital noise associated with all the sounds that come out.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I had seen the solution and completely forgot to try it. I had to change the sample rate to 48000 instead of 32000. Maybe this should be in the main FAQ or something.
Can't get sound to synch with video (analog cable)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup