pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> MythTV - PCHD-5500 - Ubuntu Feisty - maybe impossible Goto page 1, 2  Next
MythTV - PCHD-5500 - Ubuntu Feisty - maybe impossible
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
pksings

That head line is for anyone who thinks they can make this work even reasonably quickly. I don't believe it can be done based on my experience with them. Ubuntu installs Mythtv from the repository, driver seems to work, loads with no errors, can probe the card just fine during Mythtv backend setup.

Just never works, cannot see any channel, cannot scan and get anything.

Personally I am two requests away from asking for my money back for the card. I bought it to use with Mythtv and it doesn't seem to work with it.

I have tried everything I could find on it in this forum and nothing has worked. I'm down to purchasing a different card.

Any suggestions at all are welcome...

Last edited by pksings on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
waterhead

When you set up the card in MythTV, make sure you select the DVB option, not the pcHDTV option.

Also, make sure that the backend is not running when trying to scan for channels.

I recall that there are two modules that have to be loaded for the 5500 card. One is the cx88-dvb, the other is the lgdt330x (I think). Do you have both modules loading? Check with this command:
Code:
sudo lsmod

If you want to try yet another distro, I found the Mythbuntu distro is pretty good. I don't have your card, so I don't know if it is any better for the HD5500.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quote
jason52

My biggest advice would be to use the kernel modules. I had some funky issues with drivers I compiled on my own. If you're still having trouble I'll try to help out if I can.
I have a 5500 working no problem with Ubuntu (granted I upgraded to Gutsy now, but it was mostly working with Feisty).
Backend NOT running during scan?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
pksings

Hmm, I didn't think it was running the many times I've tried it, I usually run the Mythtv-Backend setup script, which gives me a warning box that it's going to stop it and complains if it doesn't succeed. A couple of times I have had to stop it myself but most of the time it seems to.

Either way, scanning channels gives me absolutely nothing.

Mind you that Time Warner here has set the HD channels in-between the "normal" channels, Channel 4 is KNBC, 4-1 is KNBC-HD.

I did not compile drivers, they won't successfully compile..

Nor will TVtime.

root@lmmec:~# lsmod | grep lgd
lgdt330x 9860 1
dvb_core 80808 2 lgdt330x,video_buf_dvb
i2c_core 22656 13 i2c_dev,i2c_ec,lgh06xf,lgdt330x,cx88_dvb,cx88_vp3054_i2c,dvb_pll,tuner,cx88xx,nvidia,i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_nforce2

Mythbuntu is not an option, it doesn't support Volume Manager and won't mount my root or /home without being massaged quite a bit.

Any other suggestions are most welcome and will be promptly attempted.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

Ahhh...cable TV!

You didn't mention that in your first post. I'm sure that has a lot to do with your problem. I don't have cable, so I can't help you. But, you do need to make sure that you have the correct channel type selected. I think that there are five or six types available.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
5 or so types?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 pm Reply with quote
pksings

I am aware of multiple QAM types, which I understand to be ATSC over cable, none of which provide me with any results when I scan that type, I tried each and every one. But I'm not aware of any analog, NTSC variances, as far as I know that is channels 1-125 period. And I can't get it show them.

I have plain, dumb cable. No cable boxes, just wire that I connect to my TV, and the HDTV-5500. My TV has multiple tuners and is able to parse the signal and adjust to the one it needs on a channel by channel basis. It takes about a second-and-a-half to adjust, but hey, it works.

Please, if anyone knows more about this, explain it to me?

I have no doubt whatsoever that my lack of knowledge is a major factor in this. I was hoping I would not have to become an expert in it to make it work however.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Seakip18

I think you were in the same boat I was in. Lemme just clarify. You want NTSC and ATSC thru mythTV right?

The way I got mine working was to add/delete the card all together, make sure your starting with no capture card, video sources. Then add your PCHDTV card as a DVB card. You should then see an analog option. Make sure you have 48000 as the sampling rate.

Then add two video sources, one for you ATSC and one for NTSC. No listing Grabber if you do not have one.

under Input, assign the ATSC to the DVB and NTSC to v4l (usually television). The resulting scan should pick up the channels. that's how I got mine working with NTSC. I'm still wrangling with ATSC.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
Currently Running:MythBuntu .2
Previous OS's:Ubuntu Fiesty with MCE VM
Thank you for your suggestion, but it doesn't work for me
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
pksings

I did just as you suggested, same result, no channels ATSC or NTSC. It is in fact worse than it was, before at least the channel names were properly associated and showed in the Channel editor. Now that too is blank.

And yes, I did run mythfilldatabase.

I'm done, I pronounce this thing 'CRAP' and am going to return it and buy one that works.

Thanks very much everyone...
Forgot to add something
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Seakip18

Make sure under recording options of the capture card to set the get card on demand is checked. Otherwise the card will never be able to get NTSC

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
jason52

You never mentioned if the card works with other programs; will it find channels with dtvscan? There's also a package you can install from the repositories (not at home, so I can't look up it what it is) that includes azap. That'll let you tune to a known good channel and provide some (possibly) useful info. Since you're using cable though, it might be hard to find what a good QAM channel is. I gave up on QAM since Cox seemingly rearranges channels randomly (and I thought there were some signal strength problems). Anyway, it'd be nice if it could be narrowed down to something less generic than Myth not finding channels.

Oh, make sure to try and scan both types of QAM on the standard broadcast channels. It's likely the digitally encoded stuff doesn't start until the higher channels, but it's hard to say.

It shouldn't be overly painful to get at least some channels working...it's always possible there's something wrong with the hardware. Admittedly, the support for this card pretty much sucks, but once it's up and running it's wonderful.
Sorry, I rambled a bit there.
Settings for latest attempt(s)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote
pksings

I did indeed select the open card on demand box, I remembered that step from a different forum post.

DTVscan does not show any channels either.

I'll find and try azap, but am not holding out any hope for it.

As for narrowing the problem, I'm not sure how to, it won't find any channels when I scan, won't show anything when I "watch" tv and never records anything other than static when I schedule a recording. And doesn't log any errors other than failing to lock onto a channel and/or timing out when I scan. How does one narrow that down?

In a broad statement, "It doesn't work", but I'm open to suggestions.

On a different note, expecting anybody to go through this much trouble to make anything work is completely un-reasonable. Only my dedication to Linux and open source has made me go this far. If I weren't opposed to bring M$ into my house I would have had something else working in it's place months ago. When I started this project in October I bragged about it to my co-workers. Now it's December, it still doesn't work and I have no idea how many hours I have in this now, way too many. I now warn them instead.

And as for being "awesome" when it works, based on what I have read I will have to differ. To me "awesome" would be, put it in, load whatever is necessary for the system to identify and initialize it, configure program to use it, BAM! It works perfectly. What I have read in this forum is very, very few, if any, have it working perfectly. Most have it working partly.
Your definition of "awesome" and mine differ greatly. I guess I had greater expectations. And it definitely has not met mine. For the amount of money it cost I believe it should have fit my definition of awesome. I'm willing to bet that the Hauppage 1600, which costs less, does. I'll let you know.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

The azap utility is part of the dvb-apps package. I can't find it as an installable package for Mythbuntu, so you may have to install it from source.

http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/

And a wiki for it:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Zap

You may want to download and install the latest from the CVS/Mercurial, as the first link I posted has a rather old version.
http://www.linuxtv.org/repo/
You can get a gzip or bzip file of a newer version from there too.

It's also not a bad idea to install the latest V4L-DVB from the CVS/Mercurial too.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Seakip18

Debian distros can install it with

Code:
sudo apt-get install dvb-utils

should be the latest version, as well as install dvbscan (alias is scan) with standard-cable-Frequencies-QAM_256 /64 and VSB.

EDIT: You might have to create a folder (~/.azap)in your home for it and throw your channels.conf in there.

Last edited by Seakip18 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I missed that one, Synaptic didn't list azap as being part of that package. After looking up the package properties, I now see it.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
scan, aka dvbscan, you have got to be kidding!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote
pksings

root@lmmec:/usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples# scan
initial tuning data files:

usage: scan [options...] [-c | initial-tuning-data-file]
atsc/dvbscan doesn't do frequency scans, hence it needs initial
tuning data for at least one transponder/channel.
-c scan on currently tuned transponder only
-v verbose (repeat for more)
-q quiet (repeat for less)
-a N use DVB /dev/dvb/adapterN/
-f N use DVB /dev/dvb/adapter?/frontendN
-d N use DVB /dev/dvb/adapter?/demuxN
-s N use DiSEqC switch position N (DVB-S only)
-i N spectral inversion setting (0: off, 1: on, 2: auto [default])
-n evaluate NIT-other for full network scan (slow!)
-5 multiply all filter timeouts by factor 5
for non-DVB-compliant section repitition rates
-o fmt output format: 'zap' (default), 'vdr' or 'pids' (default with -c)
-x N Conditional Axcess, (default 1)
N=0 gets only FTA channels
N=xxx sets ca field in vdr output to :xxx:
-t N Service select, Combined bitfield parameter.
1 = TV, 2 = Radio, 4 = Other, (default 7)
-p for vdr output format: dump provider name
-e N VDR version, default 2 for VDR-1.2.x
ANYTHING ELSE GIVES NONZERO NIT and TID
Vdr version 1.3.x and up implies -p.
-l lnb-type (DVB-S Only) (use -l help to print types) or
-l low[,high[,switch]] in Mhz
-u UK DVB-T Freeview channel numbering for VDR

-P do not use ATSC PSIP tables for scanning
(but only PAT and PMT) (applies for ATSC only)
-A N check for ATSC 1=Terrestrial [default], 2=Cable or 3=both
-U Uniquely name unknown services

Yeah, right. I'm supposed to understand and maybe use this right?
I apparently need to supply initial tuning data for at least one channel.
I'm not an engineer, geeky type. No way...

And expecting anybody other than another engineer geeky type to do so is ridiculous...

Another classic example of the biggest shortcoming of Linux, "normal" people can't be expected to drop to the command line and do this stuff. And the people who code and/or offer support all do, regularly. And they seem to expect everyone else to do so also.

AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN!!! The world will not rise to this level. I personally just don't have to time..

Thanks everbody. Seems I'm done here. Your efforts are appreciated.
MythTV - PCHD-5500 - Ubuntu Feisty - maybe impossible
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup