pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Getting killed here
Getting killed here
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Devizier

I'm a complete Linux newbie trying to get my girlfriend an HTPC box. Because of concerns with the termination of OTA SD broadcasts beginning February 2009 I decided to eschew Hauppauge and go with PCHDTV.

Got the latest build of Mythbuntu and was ready to go... Immediately encountered the following problems:

1. Scan for digital channels came up completely empty. This might be because the antenna is sitting on top of her TV, in the center of a concrete box apartment. At least 5-6 walls of concrete separate us from the broadcast towers (for UHF). Maybe we can try placing the antenna (simple rabbit ears/UHF loop) near a window to get improved reception, or improve the antenna.

Worth noting that we live in Seattle, where the digital broadcasts are very strong. Is multipath the issue here, or is there a known PCHDTV configuration concern?

2. Successfully scanned for analog channels and could view them, but immediately noticed two things:

a. No sound
b. Four or five lines of snow/garbage at the top of the TV image.

As for the sound, I noticed the instructions elsewhere in the forum and tried them except that I exited VI incorrectly (never used it before). When I used it again (same command line) I was asked to recover and opted not to, again writing in the instructions as stated, saving properly this time. Still no sound.

As for the snow, is this due to poor VHF reception or what? It comes up on every channel, even the ones that come in strong. So I'm leaning against that.

Anyhow, any assistance would be great. Really want to get this working without any further expense.

Thanks
Joel
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

To determine if you are having reception issues, you need to know where the broadcast towers are. Go to this site to determine where they are in relation to where you are:
http://www.antennaweb.org/

You may need a different antenna to get the digital channels. By UHF loop, do you mean a bow-tie antenna? >< I have a roof mounted antenna that has eight bow-ties in it.
http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/0612/4228.html

Channel master also has smaller antennas, but their indoor antennas look like plain old rabbit ears.

What are you currently using for TV viewing? If you are using cable, it may be best to try and tune cable channels. The analog tuners on hybrid (dual tuner) cards are usually not very good. If you have poor reception, then that may be the problem.

I can't help with the audio, as I don't have the 5500

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
matth45

The "snow" in your analog signal at the top of the screen may just be the closed caption information. If the driver you're using doesn't understand it and take it out of the stream it will show up as a few lines of black and white pixels at the top of the frame.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Seakip18

For audio, under the analog options, make sure you switch it to hd(x)1 instead of the default. That should get you audio.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
Currently Running:MythBuntu .2
Previous OS's:Ubuntu Fiesty with MCE VM
Getting killed here
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup