pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> 5500/FC7/analog (NTSC) cable; tvtime ok black screen in myth
5500/FC7/analog (NTSC) cable; tvtime ok black screen in myth
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote
infochuck

I've got an FC7 box, running kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 and using a pcHDTV-5500. I have analog cable through Mediacom, and tvtime picks up all my stations fine. I have devices for /dev/dvb and /dev/video0. I have configured my 5500 in mythtv-setup as a DVB device (not a pcHDTV), and gone into 'analog options' and made sure /dev/video0 is being used. Under 'recording options', I have set 'Open DVB card on demand'.

For 'Input Connections', I have set both the DVBInput and the V4L Television input to me schedules direct source. I have 'fetched listings from video source'. Running mythfrontend, I can access both tuners (I have a PVR-250 in a different system) and switch between them using 'Y'. But when I switch to the 5500 input, I get a black screen. The MythTV EPG info says:

"signal 0% | be 0 | (1) no lock"

Going into the program guide and selecting a different channel does nothing.

As I said, tvtime works fine.

What could be going on here? Thanks in advance for any possible help.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
nitro001

Intersting you posted a few seconds after me with pretty much the same thing, running mythtv right...

Until I hear back to figure out how to get the V4L to work as a sub-device of the DVB utilizing the same recorder, I have removed the DVB, created an analog V4L card using the /dev/video device of the card, and it works like that.

I do have the issue still of some overscan, white static on the top of the screen, not sure if you will have that though.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
infochuck

Ha! Very interesting! Yes, I am using MythTV; running as plain ole' "Analog V4L" works... the sound was horrid until locking down to 48000 as per various other postings.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:46 am Reply with quote
nitro001

I had set the 48000 but had re-configured the card so many times, I forgot to mention. Sorry bout that, But good to hear you have it though, Now to see if someone responds if it will work as part of the DVB capture card instead of a stand-alone.

I won't have to worry much until I switch to Digital cable myself, but that might be soon.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
Seakip18

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I figured I'd ask.

Was MythTV able to run an actual scan of the channels?

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
Currently Running:MythBuntu .2
Previous OS's:Ubuntu Fiesty with MCE VM
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:05 am Reply with quote
infochuck

No, neither MythTV nor dtvscan (I think that's what it's called) were able to pick up any of my analog cable channels; I either not no signal or a timeout on every attempt.

Of course, this is with the card set (as it is supposed to be) to a DVB device; with it configured as an analog V4L device, it will probably scan my channels fine (since it works that way).
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
nitro001

Seakip18 wrote:
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but I figured I'd ask.

Was MythTV able to run an actual scan of the channels?

I was able to get it to scan channels in both setups, it was easier in the Analog V4L setup as there was only 1 interface, but, make sure when you scan you select the V4L source and the /dev/videoX shows than you will have only the option for Scan All Channels. If you see options for QAM, etc... you are trying to scan the wrong interface and it won't scan in NTSC.
5500/FC7/analog (NTSC) cable; tvtime ok black screen in myth
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup