pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> need gentoo install overview for hd-5500
need gentoo install overview for hd-5500
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
itlarson

I am mystified as how to procede installing this card for gentoo. Info on the internet seems to be out of date or conflicting.
I am using a single core amd 64 computor with nvidia graphics running a 2.6.22 kernel. It is intended as a mythtv box.
My questions are:
-What to enable/disable in the kernel
-how to install the drivers- I have downloaded v4l-dvb-HD-5500-driver.tar.gz and tried running make, but this ends quickly in an error message.
-what's this about firmware?
-What tools do I install? Do I just emerge them? how do I tell if the card is working?
-Once it is working, what is involved in intigrating the card with mythtv?

If anyone can answer this list of questions or point me to a step by step instalation guide which is up to date for my kernel and the 5500, It would be greatly apreciated.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I don't know about Gentoo specifically, but support for the card should be already built into the kernel. It is possible that the kernel is not compiled with DVB support, as I found that the CentOS 5 kernel was. I had to download the kernel source and compile the kernel with DVB support. You would then be better off just using a different distro, like Mythbubtu.

The 5500 doesn't need firmware loaded to work correctly.

As for tools. If you are using MythTV, you don't need any other tools. If you plan on using it outside of MythTV, then the dvb-apps (aka dvb-utils) would be needed to scan for channels.You can watch TV with mplayer and Kaffeine. I have just set up Kaffeine to watch ATSC channels. It won't scan for ATSC channels, so you need the dvb/scan utility to find channels.

Here is a link to the Kaffeine forums where I posted about setting up my AverMedia MCE 180 with Mythbuntu.
http://hftom.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=115

The process should be the same with the 5500.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Re: need gentoo install overview for hd-5500
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
kshots

itlarson wrote:
I am mystified as how to procede installing this card for gentoo. Info on the internet seems to be out of date or conflicting.
I am using a single core amd 64 computor with nvidia graphics running a 2.6.22 kernel. It is intended as a mythtv box.
My questions are:
-What to enable/disable in the kernel
Enable V4L support as a module. You'll also want DVB support as a module
itlarson wrote:
-how to install the drivers- I have downloaded v4l-dvb-HD-5500-driver.tar.gz and tried running make, but this ends quickly in an error message.
What's the message? Did you run configure? I haven't run through the process yet myself, but I intend to when my card arrives, and I run gentoo myself
itlarson wrote:
-what's this about firmware?
You'll need the firmware to communicate correctly with the board... then again, it looks like they've changed how the card works with the 5500. From the downloads page:
Quote:
Firmware files for DVB (Required for DVB support only on the HD-2000 & HD-3000 cards)
itlarson wrote:
-What tools do I install? Do I just emerge them? how do I tell if the card is working?
You'll need to emerge mythtv. Beyond that, you'll need the kernel module loaded. After installing mythtv and with the kernel module loaded, you'll need to run mythtv-setup (with X running). From that point, you should be able to figure out the interface... just bear in mind that you have one digital tuner which sends an encoded MPEG-2 over the PCI bus (meaning you only have one device to worry about) and you have one analog tuner which captures unencoded video and does NOT capture audio (it sends it to your sound card's line-in), so you'd have two devices to worry about.
itlarson wrote:
-Once it is working, what is involved in intigrating the card with mythtv?
Pretty much just run mythtv-setup as described above.
irlarson wrote:
If anyone can answer this list of questions or point me to a step by step instalation guide which is up to date for my kernel and the 5500, It would be greatly apreciated.
Hopefully that should get you started. If not, ask a few more questions. Personally, I'm going to be working on writing an ebuild overlay to streamline this a bit.
waterhead wrote:
I don't know about Gentoo specifically, but support for the card should be already built into the kernel. It is possible that the kernel is not compiled with DVB support, as I found that the CentOS 5 kernel was. I had to download the kernel source and compile the kernel with DVB support. You would then be better off just using a different distro, like Mythbubtu.
Gentoo does not come with a kernel. You always have to build your own kernel from source, and you don't get a kernel configuration to start with. Consequently, you always end up with a stripped down kernel tailored to your hardware, and in all likelihood in this case this means that irlarson does not yet have the DVB or V4L kernel modules yet. Furthermore, not knowing anything about the machine that itlarson is using, I really can't say which distro would be better. I do know, however, for pretty much anything odd or exotic, gentoo is the way to go.
waterhead wrote:
The 5500 doesn't need firmware loaded to work correctly.
Ok, that confirms what I'd thought I was interpreting from the download page... I wasn't quite sure myself (it simply said it was for the 2000 & 3000, nothing about the 5500).

EDIT: For mythtv installs, this is a good reference. It should get everything working outside of the actual HD-5500 so you'd only have to concentrate on the kernel modules and making sure that the system recognizes the card properly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

There are two modules that need to be loaded for the HD-5500:

cx88-dvb
lgdt330x

There may also may be more needed for dvb support, according to this:

http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=thread&topic_id=8680&forum=39

I had to download kernel sources and compile dvb support into my Centos kernel. I used a kernel config file from my Suse setup, with the exact same kernel. I guess that you could just enable everything in the dvb section of the kernel. That is what the Suse kernel seems to have.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
Gentoo pcHDTV configuration notes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:13 pm Reply with quote
photonwave

Okay,

So, here's my configuration notes for pcHDTV capture cards. Note that my setup is:
    AMD Athlon XP processor
    MythTV
    pcHDTV 2000
    pcHDTV 5500
    Gentoo Linux (gentoo-sources)
    NVidia Graphics card

Note that everything you need to get your pcHDTV card(s) working is in the linux kernel, you don't need to use the tools provided by pchdtv.com.

1. Build your Gentoo box using advice from gentoo.org
    2. Install your pcHDTV card(s)
    3. Modify your kernel to support Video4Linux (V4L for pcHDTV 2000) and DVB (for pcHDTV 5500) (see notes below)
    4. If you have an nvidia card, then emerge nvidia-drivers before rebooting every time you rebuild your kernel
    5. Reboot and verify that your dmesg output shows that DVB recognized your pcHDTV card(s) and that you have something in /dev/dvb/
    6. Use dvbstream (sourceforge.net/projects/dvbtools/) to verify that you can tune and capture data
    7. Install mythtv (mythtv.org) to view/record HDTV on your computer.
    8. If you have an HDTV, then use that as a monitor for your computer!

Here are my KernelConfiguration notes for my setup (you probably don't need all of these options enabled to get things working, but this works for me):

Code:

Device Drivers ->
   Character devices ->
      <*> /dev/agpgart (AGP Support)
          <*> NVIDIA nForce/nForce2 chipset support
          <*> VIA chipset support

I2C support ->
      <*> I2C support
      <*> I2C device interface
      I2C Algorithms -->
              <*> I2C bit-banging interfaces
         <*> I2C PCF 8584 interfaces
         <*> I2C PCA 9564 interfaces

I2C Hardware bus support -->
         <*> Nvidia nForce2, nForce3 and nForce4
         <*> Parallel port adapter
         <*> VIA 82C586B (i2c-via)
         <*> VIA VT82C596/82C686/82xx and CX700 (i2c-viapro)

Miscellaneous I2C Chip support -->
         <*> EEPROM reader (eeprom)

Multimedia devices ->

<*> Video For Linux
            [*]   Enable Video for Linux API 1 (DEPRECATED)
            ---   Enable Video for Linux API 1 compatible layer
            [*]   Video Capture Adapters -->
                  [ ]   Enable advanced debug functionality 
                  [*]   Autoselect pertinent encoders/decoders and other helper chips
                  < >   Virtual Video Driver
                  <*>   BT848 Video For Linux
                  [*]     DVB/ATSC Support for bt878 based TV cards
                  < >     SAA6588 Radio Chip RDS decoder support on BT848 cards

<*>   Conexant 2388x (bt878 successor) support
                  < >     Conexant 2388x DMA audio support
                  <*>     Blackbird MPEG encoder support (cx2388x + cx23416)
                  <*>     DVB/ATSC Support for cx2388x based TV cards
                  < >   Conexant cx23416/cx23415 MPEG encoder/decoder support 

[ ]   Radio Adapters -->
            <*> DVB For Linux
            [*]   Load and attach frontend modules as needed
            [*]   DVB/ATSC adapters -->
             ---   Supported SAA7146 based PCI Adapters
                  ---   Supported BT878 Adapters
                  ---   BT8xx based PCI cards
                  ---   Supported Pluto2 Adapters
                  < >   Pluto2 cards
             ---   Supported DVB frontends
                        Customize DVB frontends -->
                        --- ATSC (North American/Korean Terrestrial/Cable DTV) frontends
                        <*> NxtWave Communications NXT2002/NXT2004 based
                        <*> Oren OR51211 based
                        <*> Oren OR51132 based
                        <*> Broadcom BCM3510
                        <*> LG Electronics LGDT3302/LGDT3303 based
                        --- Tuners/PLL support
                        <*> Generic I2C PLL based tuners                   

[ ] DAB adapters

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup