pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> pcHDTV-5500 Reliable Analog NTSC Problems: Mythbuntu (Gutsy)
pcHDTV-5500 Reliable Analog NTSC Problems: Mythbuntu (Gutsy)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
kc77

Hello I'm having a rather particular problem getting reliable Analog signals when my 5500 card is accessed by MythTV. First let me say that installation was a breeze. Most of my initial problems were rectified pretty quickly using this forum and the mythtv site. I had everything working pretty well except for 1 issue.

I have already implemented the DVB timeout modification and the open DVB Card on Demand Option as well and sampling rate is 48000 on the front end and the back end.

The problem that I am having concerns when Mythtv starts up for the very first time or when switching from Digital to Analog. I get garbled audio and the video signal also seems to be slightly sped up. If I exit back to the menu and go back to Watch TV the problem disappears. While this isn't a big issue it does prevent me from having a guaranteed recording. So I have some shows that record fine while others don't.

Myth version is 0.20.2 via the ubuntu repository. My sound card is an Audigy and I am running a AthlonX2 3200 and Ubuntu (Gutsy) and sound DMA is turned on.

I am thinking of adding some Haupaugge 350's to handle the analog signals as also a possible alternative to this problem and let the 5500 handle the digital. So is there something I'm missing or would it be best to painfully compile my own drivers for the card to see if this fixes the problem?

-KC
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Seakip18

I've been having this problem too.

It seems to have gotten better over time, though that could just be from leaving it on NTSC when I exit the channels.

Anyone else find a solution with this that doesn't involve a dedicated NTSC capture card?

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
Currently Running:MythBuntu .2
Previous OS's:Ubuntu Fiesty with MCE VM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
timg

Can you confirm that the pcHDTV-5500 works fine for receiving digital HDTV signals (ATSC and QAM) when using Mythbuntu 7.10?

I don't expect to capture NTSC, but I want to be sure the pcHDTV-5500 / Mythbuntu 7.10 combination is trouble-free for OTA HDTV before purchasing.

Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Seakip18

timg wrote:
Can you confirm that the pcHDTV-5500 works fine for receiving digital HDTV signals (ATSC and QAM) when using Mythbuntu 7.10?

I don't expect to capture NTSC, but I want to be sure the pcHDTV-5500 / Mythbuntu 7.10 combination is trouble-free for OTA HDTV before purchasing.

Thanks!

Check with http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and find out what setup you will need. You might also need to manually add your channels, but just search other posts first.

The 5500 has been a little problematic, but it should work just fine with HD alone.

In other news, a quick search of the card-info found this.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PcHDTV_HD-5500#Other_analog_options

Quote:
I had some strange behavior when recoring anything after a reboot, or when switching between ATSC to NTSC watching liveTV. By adding this module option to /etc/modprobe.d/options (ubuntu 7.10), I was able to correct this:

options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0

I'll try it here in a bit to see if helps.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
Timeout Fix Implemented
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
kc77

Sorry for taking so long to respond. I actually have tried this fix (options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0) in options for ubuntu and it still doesn't appear to be working. Any other suggestions??
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:33 am Reply with quote
Seakip18

Just writing in to say that this does not fix it entirely. I think it helped, but no complete fix.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Seakip18

There is a new fix listed at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PcHDTV_HD-5500#Other_analog_options

I'll give it a try later tonight.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 am Reply with quote
rjp

I tried using the updated v4l-dvb drivers, and they indeed fixed the problem switching between digital and analog. Unfortunately, the new drivers also hosed my Hauppauge WinTV card (just a basic bt878 capture card), and I had to revert to the stock kernel.

Fortunately, a second HD-5500 is on its way to my doorstep, and I can throw the WinTV into a secondary backend.

EDIT: I've since pulled out the WinTV card, installed the second HD-5500, and reinstalled the updated v4l-dvb drivers. Except for a slight color glitch in the first couple of seconds of some analog channel recordings, it's working very smoothly now. No more garbled sound or video on analog channels, on either tuner.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
rjp

rjp wrote:
it's working very smoothly now. No more garbled sound or video on analog channels, on either tuner.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Evil or Very Mad It's a real crapshoot - sometimes NTSC recordings come in perfectly, other times I get skipped-frames-and-garbled-audio disasters.

*checks card settings*

Hmmm... looks like I forgot the "Open DVB Card on demand" option. Embarassed Now I'm going to have to try again and hope my NTSC recordings don't get trashed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Seakip18

It happens. Hope checking it + the new libraries will help.

I've done the update listed for mythbuntu and now my analog recordings are coming in fine. There is sometimes a little color loss the first 2 seconds, but after that it is fine. No garbled audio since.

320GB Diamond Maxtor
320GB WD Cavier
Corsair 2GB ValueSelect
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
rjp

Nope. Evil or Very Mad

It's entirely random - I can start up the front end, go to "Watch TV", and I hit the first HD-5500 in digital mode. Everything's nice. Then I hit C, and the NTSC may or may not be in spazz mode. Hit Y. The second tuner comes in on a digital channel, everything's great. When I hit C to switch to analog, it's a crapshoot again. Hit Y a third time, and I get the Hauppauge bt878 card on a secondary backend - that never fails, so I've put that tuner on a higher priority for recording. Then, after that, as I hit Y to cycle through the tuners (which are now in analog mode), the HD-5500s randomly will or will not come in well. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and I have options dvb_core dvb_shutdown_timeout=0 in my /etc/modprobe.d/options file. Both HD-5500s have the enable-on-demand setting in MythTV as well.

I guess I'm going to have to disable analog on the 5500s until the driver's well and truly fixed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
kc77

Seakip18 wrote:
There is a new fix listed at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PcHDTV_HD-5500#Other_analog_options

So far this fix has worked. I am now running 0.21 of Myth and applied the downloaded drivers. The picture is better and the audio problem seems to be gone. This is in conjunction with the dvb-core option fix as well....
Re: Finally :)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
kc77

kc77 wrote:
Seakip18 wrote:

So far this fix has worked. I am now running 0.21 of Myth and applied the downloaded drivers. The picture is better and the audio problem seems to be gone. This is in conjunction with the dvb-core option fix as well....

LOL spoke too soon... while I have better reception the problem is back just not as bad.... which I think I can live with until I get another card or two for analog.
pcHDTV-5500 Reliable Analog NTSC Problems: Mythbuntu (Gutsy)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup