pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> HD3000 Analog Tuner broken static line at top of picture
HD3000 Analog Tuner broken static line at top of picture
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
super_rouge

Has anyone ever seen anything like that before? I get a broken white static line maybe 5 pixels wide at the top of the picture on every analog channel... (I use the analog tuner for basic channels as my CC encrypts digital basic cable - grr...)

I am using MythTV - I can correct for this using overscan, however on both of my TV's (frontend's) the picture starts out low and to the left (both with NVIDIA S-Video out). The amount of overscan I'd have to use to get rid of this broken white static line would be significant - more than I'm willing to sacrifice as I have to sacrifice quite a bit already. Also, overscan wouldn't correct the picture when I export recordings...

Any thoughts appreciated...
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:35 pm Reply with quote
mucm

I suspect that what looks like static to you, actually looks like encoded Closed Captions to your tuner card (if you'd just enable the display of them).

According to Wikipedia, the captions are encoded in line 21 of the VBI (vertical blanking interval), which is the section just above the normally-visible part of the picture, and it sounds like this is the part of your picture that you're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_caption#Television_and_video

In fact when viewing my digital channels, often upconverted analog programs that they send across the digital channel still have that black and white captioning row.

Now, how did you get the analog side of your tuner working at all? I'm stuck at an earlier stage than you, analogically speaking (though my digital side is working great).

How's the weather in NB? It it toasty here in Ontario. Cheers. - Martin
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
super_rouge

Been a few months - sorry mucm - didn't see your port there...

Thanks for the info - CC you say - hmmm, I wonder why my HD3000 analog tuner would display this while my sabrent analog tuner would not... guess I need to do more research...

You may have gone through this all by now, but I'll post my config anyway... I got my analog tuner working on Fedora 6 using the cx8800 module - if its available to your kernel then it should load by putting this in your modules.conf (or equivalent if not using Fedora):

Code:
# CX8800 Device for HD3000 card - card (22) and tuner (60) autodetect OK
alias char-major-81-2 cx8800
options cx8800 video_nr=2 vbi_nr=2 radio_nr=2
install cx8800 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install cx8800; /sbin/modprobe cx88-dvb

Note also that this card will also support DMA sound (analog captured sound directly over the PCI bus rather than requiring line in on a sound card). Here is a link to some description and references:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_TV_audio#CX88_with_HD-3000_.2F_HD-5500

NB had a nice summer which went quite far into the fall this year - us beggers can't be choosers...
- Pete.
I'm good now, thanks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
mucm

Hi Pete,

Yeah I actually had things closer to working earlier in Fedora 6 than it was in my post from above. Although there was a lot of farting around with the modules and firmware, I managed to set up the viewer programs to be relatively user friendly (I could see HD channels in xine-HD including channel changing from its GUI, and analog channels in tvtime).

Then I did a dual-boot install of Ubuntu (a few months ago when 7.04 was still current). The modules and firmware were no effort (worked out of the box) the but I couldn't get a decent viewer program to work with it. For digital, I made ~/.azap/channels.conf, then every time I wanted to watch I would "azap -r CBC" in a terminal and "mplayer /dev/dvb/dvr0" in another terminal, very ugly), and for analog it was still tvtime (after stopping the azap process).

Anyway, last week I re-installed with Ubuntu 7.10. The modules/firmware stuff still works well out of the box, still don't know which player/viewer would be good for a simple front end, to change channels, etc. But anyway I thought I'd give another stab at mythtv and it seemed to behave a lot better than on previous attempts. I think the difference was that I just chose "no-grabber" for listings info, and I made separate listings sources for analog and digital channels. Also I had to turn on the option that releases the DVB part of the tuner when it isn't actively recording/watching something. Now the mythtv front end works like a charm, I can channel surf right from analog to digital channels and back.

Actually I shouldn't say that, a few things are still a little annoying, like the "5:59 of 12:30" thing in the on-screen-display when you're trying to skip forward/back in an ongoing show gets a little messed up but I haven't deduced the pattern yet of when/why that happens. Like I'm trying to skip forward past commercials, I know for sure I'm at like 15:30 of a 25:00 ongoing show, but the display says 15:30 of 15:30 and I can't go further forward with the skip arrow. If I use the rate adjust, I can watch it double-time so I know the extra buffer of already-recorded show is there.

Also, the analog channels are kind of low contrast for some reason.

Anyone that's seen any of these symptoms or knows resolutions, please jump in any time : - )

But anyway it is waaaaay better than having to completely switch programs and do command line stuff just to switch from CBC to Global (digital to analog).

Cheers.

Martin
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
someone777

I have the exact same problem with my 5500 and analog cable TV. No idea how to fix it but the idea it's caused by CC or some other "extra" data in the signal seems likely. I forget where I read it but I remember seeing something about how TV signals add stuff to the edges of the video feed that TVs and such cut off automatically.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
lisaa

I am trying to do just that and so far the HD3000 is recognized by the OS (Fedora Core 6) and I am able to record using pchdtvr.

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics