pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> HD-5500 died?
HD-5500 died?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:11 am Reply with quote
cythraul

Hi!

I've been running my HD-5500 for ages now but when I came home yesterday I noticed that a bunch of recordings under MythTV were of 0 bytes.

When I investigated, I noticed that the card was not even listed on the PCI bus (lspci) anymore.

Furthermore, the machine would either not boot or stop during udev initialization four times out of five.

Once I removed the card from the machine all was well (except that I can't capture ATSC anymore. :)

So my questions are, do I have dead card and if so, can it be repaired? Also, what could have caused this sudden death?

I already ordered a new one in the meantime but it would be nice to have a dual system. ;)

Thanks!
cyth
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
BGD

Struck by lightning?

Do you have a surge protector on:

- All your electrical outlets connected to this PC and any devices this PC might be connected to.
- Your incoming cable line if you have cable.
- Your incoming phone line if your PC is connected to a phone line.

I could go on, but basically if you don't have every component protected with a surge protector it is possible that you can get a power surge that can fry components.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote
rfeese

Did you ever resolve this?

I think my card just died the other day after 4 months of steady use. My machine locked up in the middle of the night and now the card does not show up in lspci. My machine was on surge protector, and UPS and my home network also has a separate surge suppressor. The coax port is just connected to (indoor) rabbit ears.

Tried emailing support but no response yet.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:58 am Reply with quote
cythraul

[quote="rfeese"]Did you ever resolve this?

I think my card just died the other day after 4 months of steady use. My machine locked up in the middle of the night and now the card does not show up in lspci. My machine was on surge protector, and UPS and my home network also has a separate surge suppressor. The coax port is just connected to (indoor) rabbit ears.

Tried emailing support but no response yet.[/quote]

Unfortunately, the card is still gathering dust on my shelves. I've tried it on a Windows box also and I have the same symptoms. I'm pretty sure it's dead. A real pity.

The new one is still going strong tho.

cyth
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
cythraul

I just lost my second HD-5500. Interestingly, it was causing the machine to freeze before POST. I even thought initially that my PSU was bad and did not deliver enough power to the motherboard.

It's odd that in both cases, the failure of the card caused a failure to boot the system.

Anyway, I'm done with pcHTDV cards. I would have loved to buy a PCIe version version from them with a more recent (dual!) tuner..

It was a good ride while it lasted. We'll probably never know why pcHTDV became moribund. And people are still willing to deal with them. Imagine if it was fully alive and promoting a new product!
HD-5500 died?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup