pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics -> irq bit mask cleared (Bug/Fix all in one)
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic 
irq bit mask cleared (Bug/Fix all in one)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:58 pm Reply with quote
brandon

There is a bug where if system resources are starved the pcHDTV card will get an ' irq bit mask cleared ' error and the card will stop passing data. This is partially related to buffer overrun errorrs (But these don't stop passing of data often).

The ' irq bit mask cleared ' error I have been able to debug back to athlon processors and enabling STPGNT-Mode (Stop Grant Mode) on them. This means using athcool or other "setpci -v -H1 -s 0:0.0 D5=$(printf %x $((0x$(setpci -H1 -s 0:0.0 D5) | 0x02)))" like commands. I have not seen anyone posting problems related to irq bit mask clearning but many will probably run into it in the future, so I am posting the bug and fix now.

If you have irq bit mask cleared errors in /var/log/messages then you need to disable, or verify that you have any power management _on the processor_ (only) disabled. (Other APM on disks and mainboards appears to work fine). The commands to disable power management on the processor can be found at http://www.daniel.nofftz.net/linux/Athlon-Powersaving-HOWTO.html#commandline
Usually the first enable command is for your mainboard, the second is for the processor (It's the second I've found to cause problems). If you have the irq bit mask cleared problem find your motherboard on that site and use the proper commands to disable it. (Or use athcool to autofind your motherboard/cpu and disable it). Athcool is a program that detects your MB and CPU then sents the correct setpci command. It can also stat your hardware to see what stat it is in.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem. The solution though is just not use the idle features on the processor. It will cause your system to run hotter but I have this problem anywhere from 1-600 seconds after starting to record a station.

--Brandon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:39 am Reply with quote
dsully

I'm seeing this on a P3 as well.

ACPI/APM are completely disabled.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:00 am Reply with quote
brandon

dsully wrote:
I'm seeing this on a P3 as well.

ACPI/APM are completely disabled.

How often do you get this, what are you doing when it happens, etc? (anything to help debug the problem?)

--Brandon
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 11:02 am Reply with quote
WaxyLemon

I don't have a card yet, so no personal experience, but can you explain the details behind this? It seems like disabling power management is more of a dirty hack than a bug fix. Is that just a short term solution?
irq bit mask cleared (Bug/Fix all in one)
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General pcHDTV topics