pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Some stations work okay and others don't Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:40 am Reply with quote
jsedwards

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the delay in answering, I haven't had time to fool with this stuff at all this month.

Quote:
When buying a new video card for use in Linux, ATI is a bad idea. Many of us have them left over from our Windows days, so we make do with what we have.

That's funny, in ten years of using Linux as my primary desktop I have never heard this before. Two of my former employers used ATI cards in their Linux workstations, one exclusively and the other in the high-performance workstations (nVidia in the ones where high performance wasn't critical).

My experience with the ATI card in this machine is that it works far better than the nVidia did. So I guess my mileage might vary? Smile

Quote:
The nVidia 8300 is overkill for Linux, but it should have worked.

That is just the card that came in the machine, I didn't buy it specifically. Up until now I could not have cared less what video card any of my machines had, because all I ever use them for is the plain old 2D GUI. So I usually buy whatever is cheap (which the ATI card was).

Quote:
Did you have XvMC setup?

I have no idea. This is the first I have ever heard of it. I will look into it.
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
waterhead

As far as ATI vs nVidia, I should clarify.

It is the Linux drivers that are better for nVidia vs ATI. NVidia has been producing a Linux binary driver for many years. It is constantly being updated, and usually works quite well. It is not included with most distros because it is not open source, you have to download it from the nVidia web site.

ATI just recently started serious development of a Linux driver, after AMD took them over. It is much better than before, but it seems that they are working on the GUI first.

I did have a ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 pro working on a MythTV front end. It only had VGA outputs, so I changed to a nVidia FX 5500 that has DVI outputs. Funny thing is that with DVI, the driver reports the native resolution as 1280x1024. I have a 22" LCD with a native resolution of 1680x1050. To get to use the native resolution, I had to switch back to VGA. Sad

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:30 am Reply with quote
jsedwards

I should clarify my statements in my previous post about the ATI video cards. I should add that the one place had a deal with ATI and they made both Windows and Linux workstations. I wasn't very involved at that point, but I was under the impression they worked okay on Linux. That was many years ago so I don't know what the situation is now.

I should also clarify the other place used nVidia in the 2D workstation and ATI in the 3D workstation. I was not involved in the decision so it may have been what was available on Single Board Computer cards. I was the one that set up the drivers for them, so I know that the ATI cards worked well in the 3D workstation.
Some stations work okay and others don't
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup