pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> using Composite in on HD5500
using Composite in on HD5500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
cradelit

I apologize if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

I am trying to use only the composite in on my HD5500 card I do not have any HD TV signal around here and I have no interest in trying to receive broadcasts at the moment. (yes I know it's a waste, I shouldn't do that, there are better cards for this, yadayada, but I have this one, and as far as I can tell it *can* do what I want)

Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding information on how to set up and test this part of the card, and I am left with several questions.

I am running Gentoo kernel 2.6.24-gentoo-r8, built with all the drivers I could see that might be related. I figured I could narrow them down after it was working...

- Can anyone tell me which Kernel options or modules are needed to use the composite in?

- Can the composite in be viewed through DVB, or do I need to set up the V4L driver? Can I use both at the same time, or do I need to disable the HD tuner part of the card somehow?

- Someone mentioned in these forums that there should be a seperate device for the analog part of this card. Is the composite part of this analog device? How do I know if this analog device has been properly detected? I have some devices listed below from lspci, but I can't tell if they are the ones I need or not.

- How can I test the DVB or V4L devices to see that they are capturing? Which device does the work in this case? I am pretty sure for v4l it's /dev/v4l/video0, and this device even has composite1 and s-video listed as available inputs in mythtv, but doing a channel scan on either of them turns up no signals... Should I even be doing a channel scan in the case of composite input? Without mythtv to autodetect these various inputs for me, I can't figure out how I can get them out of /dev/v4l/video0. Could anyone tell me a cat command I could use to test with?

Originally I wanted to set this up to work with xine, but so far I have gotten the furthest with mythtv in that I am able to at least see the composite input listed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

info about my setup:

nekketsu linux # dmesg | grep cx
cx88/0: cx2388x v4l2 driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47,autodetected]
cx88[0]: TV tuner type 64, Radio tuner type -1
cx88/2: cx2388x MPEG-TS Driver Manager version 0.0.6 loaded
cx2388x alsa driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88[0]/0: found at 0000:06:03.0, rev: 5, irq: 19, latency: 32, mmio: 0xfc000000
tuner 0-0043: chip found @ 0x86 (cx88[0])
tuner 0-0061: chip found @ 0xc2 (cx88[0])
cx88[0]/0: registered device video0 [v4l2]
cx88[0]/0: registered device vbi0
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x 8802 Driver Manager
cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:06:03.2, rev: 5, irq: 19, latency: 32, mmio: 0xfa000000
cx88[0]/1: CX88x/0: ALSA support for cx2388x boards
cx88/2: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
cx88/2: registering cx8802 driver, type: dvb access: shared
cx88[0]/2: subsystem: 7063:5500, board: pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV [card=47]
cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based DVB/ATSC card
DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0])
cx88[0]: video y / packed - dma channel status dump

nekketsu linux # lspci | grep -i video
06:03.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
06:03.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
06:03.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
06:03.4 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] (rev 05)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
waterhead

In MythTV, to use a different input, first go to the Watch TV section. Then enter the "m" shortcut key to bring up the menu. Now select Switch Input to display a list of available inputs.

To switch inputs on the fly. The "y" shortcut key worked in the past, but it does not seem to work on my current build.

You should also be able to view any input with the xawtv or TVTime apps. You will need to stop the mythbackend app first, as it monopolizes the card and won't allow another program to access it. Xawtv is run from the terminal, but works quite well.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
cradelit

Thanks for the reply and for the help.

I have been trying to implement your advice, but there is still something amiss in my setup.

Unfortunately, on my machine at least, the "m" shortcut key does nothing.. When I choose watching tv, mythtv goes black, and the only shortcut key that seems to have any effect is esc to exit watching tv mode

xawtv gives:
/dev/video0 [v4l2]: no overlay support
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
no video grabber device available

tvtime gives:
WARNING: v4l-conf is compiled without DGA support.xvoutput: No XVIDEO port found which supports YUY2 images.

*** tvtime requires hardware YUY2 overlay support from your video card
*** driver. If you are using an older NVIDIA card (TNT2), then
*** this capability is only available with their binary drivers.
*** For some ATI cards, this feature may be found in the experimental
*** GATOS drivers: http://gatos.souceforge.net/
*** If unsure, please check with your distribution to see if your
*** X driver supports hardware overlay surfaces.

Now my video card is not a big fancy one (Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller).. it won't play Halflife 2 or anything, but it will certainly play movies no problem in xine. Do I need a 3D card for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks again for your help.. Sorry if I seem clueless, I'm not exactly a beginner linux user, but for some reason I am having trouble locating some straightforward info on this situation, everything I can find points me in a different direction.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

I would not rely on Intel graphics for any video applications. Read this from the MythTV wiki, go down to the section on "Video Display Card":
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

If you have a AGP slot, consider getting a nVidia card. A GeForce >=6200 is needed. If you only have PCI slots, a PCI video card may not be enough. It is limited by the PCI bus.

I just installed a nVidia 6200 PCI card on a HP PC that was given to me. I haven't install Linux on it yet, but it didn't help with the HDTV that I tried with WinXP and MediaPortal. I'm guessing the PCI bus is too slow on this PC.

EDIT: Most of the requirement specs that I mention are for HDTV. I realize that you want to record an analog input, so your requirements may be somewhat less.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
cradelit

Indeed, I have seen that howto, and thought I was ok since I have no problem allowing my cpu to do the work at the risk of poor performance.
Judging by the error message from tvtime, at least, it would seem I was mistaken Smile

I guess this project will have to wait until such time as I can invest in one of those 3d cards

Thanks again for your advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote
waterhead

You did stop the mythbackend before trying TVTime and xawtv, didn't you? It looks like those errors could be because it could not access a video device. If mythtv has control of a device, nothing else can use it.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
cradelit

Yes, I made sure that mythbackend was stopped. But I'm not entirely convinced that the card is configured properly (due to all those questions in my original post) I have seen posts in this forum that say there are two devices for this card, do you know if these four devices are all I should see for this card?

nekketsu crade # lspci | grep -i Conex
06:03.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
06:03.1 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [Audio Port] (rev 05)
06:03.2 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [MPEG Port] (rev 05)
06:03.4 Multimedia controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder [IR Port] (rev 05)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
waterhead

I don't have the same card, so my output only lists two things.

I installed and tried TVTime, and it worked after tweaking the tuner settings and scanning for channels. There is an option to change the input too. I don't have this side of the card configured in MythTV, and I was surprised that it worked without stopping the backend.

This may be because of the video processor. Unfortunately, you won't know unless you spend money on a new video card. Maybe someone has one you could borrow, or try one from a different PC, just to test it out.

1024GB RAM
nVidia 6600GT
pcHDTV HD-3000
Air2PC PCI
MythTV 0.21
using Composite in on HD5500
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup