pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup -> Is the 5500 card the right one for me?
Is the 5500 card the right one for me?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
kanth

Unfortunately, I already own it. Wink

I have been playing with this card for several days. I can get the tuners working, get the audio working, etc. But now I've hit a snag. What I want to get to is more of a "capture" card and less of a tuner I guess. I'm working on a GX280 SFF case.

What I'm doing is taking the cable box and connecting it to a dvd/vhs combo player on line1. I'm also taking an Xbox and PS2 and connecting them to the combo player on line2. From that dvd/vhs combo box, I output via SVIDEO to the svideo input on the 5500. I connect rca cables to the dvd/vhs for the sound, and turn them into a regular single prong line jack to go into the input on the 5500. Then take the cord from the 5500 and plug it into the line in on the sound card. I'm basically trying to record games/vhs tapes to digital/DVD stuff I've made/ Some cable.. I know it won't be as good as tuning it, but that is what I need to do.

So basically, now in mythbuntu I set up a channel (3) and anything being output out of the vhs/dvd box appers on channel 3. I'm having some slight audio issues.. but nothing that should not be able to be worked thru.

I can not seem to record the sound though. I am beginning to suspect that according to this : http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7152 that recording sound is _only_ possible when using the COAX tuner input. (Might be possible if I was sending the output of the VCR via the COAX line.. but its not an option for me.. and I'm not sure that would work either as it wouldn't be being demodulated). That section seems to indicate that you might be able to PLAY sound thru the system but recording audio can _only_ happen thru the tuner.

So are those suspicions correct? Can you basically not use this card to record from ANYTHING other than a TV Tuner? Or have I missed the boat somewhere and misunderstood something?

If my suspicions are correct, is there a recommended card for what I am doing? I was thinking the WinTV-PVR-150 MCE LP card perhaps?

Thanks,

Kanth
Is the 5500 card the right one for me?
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> Installation/Setup