pcHDTV Forum

pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics -> Will Mythbuntu Find the card

how much ram should I put in the new DVR Build???
512mb
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
1gb
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
2gb
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Will Mythbuntu Find the card
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
joeyoung25

I just bought my HD-5500 card today so I havent received it yet but I am really curious of how it works because I have installed mythbuntu but I didnt see hd-5500 in the dropdown although it does say its the recommended card for mythbuntu. when I install the card should I reinstall Mythbuntu so it will find the drivers and add it to the capture cards drop down list or do I need to select another option.

Thanks everyone for your help, I look forward to joining the great Linux DVR world. I can't wait to get my card.

My PC that Im going to test before I buy the HTPC is my home desktop with a Intel Q6600 quad core, 2gb of ram, ATI graphics Unknown chipset right now, and a temporary 160gb HDD.
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
jrockinl

I will confirm Mythbuntu 9.10 and 10.4 found it with no problem.

In the tuner setup area, you select something along the lines of DVB 3.0. There is a another option where is shows up but I believe that is for the analog tuner.
It was kinda working
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
joeyoung25

I got it working kind of. I have Charter as my cable provider and I believe they do some kind of encryption on any channel that is not an "over the air" channel. I got all my HD channels working pretty good but could only get sound on all the other normal channels. I also had problems with the guide lining up to the right channel so it never showed the correct program that was on. I decided it wasnt worth the hassle and returned my HD 5500 which is actually amazing. I am now paying $5 a month for my Charter DVR and if anything ever goes wrong I "WILL" complain about it because I could have had an amazing entertainment center. I actually had everything working except I couldnt watch more than my over the air channels. Two Thumbs up for the HD 5500 card the middle finger for the cable companies that make it difficult for us techies that want to create our own system to watch and record TV.
Will Mythbuntu Find the card
  pcHDTV Forum Index -> General Topics